“Choose another hotel”

Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Choose another hotel”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I've been in Galveston one week for work and this is my experience:
- horrible breakfast
- stinky room
- unprofessional and unfriendly staff (a few exceptions)
- sandpaper-like towels
- dirty toilet
- noisy A/C fan
- gym closed during the declared opening hours
- super slow wifi (I had to change room because in the first one I didn't have internet access at all)
- vending machine empty or not working

Good luck

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Giacomo P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Giacomo P,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Glavenston, TX.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Springfield, Mo
Reviewed 26 February 2013

A number of our group stayed here awaiting our cruise on the Carnival Triumph that got stranded in the Gulf. We decided to stay at the motel the extra days before heading out. Every member of the staff greeted us warmly every time. They extended our stay with no increase in rates. Thank you so much! The hotel was clean and located on the Gulf with a beautiful view. The staff provided a place for Elvis Tribute Artists Joseph Hall, Ryan Roth, Justin Edwards and David Allen to perform the shows they would have done on the ship...every one of us and the staff had a wonderful time. I would certainly stay here again. It is located close to many restaurants and shops. The motel is undergoing some needed improvements to make the next stay even better. Karaoke in the bar was fun entertainment. The only complaint was the service in the restaurant was very slow and overpriced, but once again, friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your review and your comments about our staff. We are glad that you had a positive experience at our resort. Thank you for your continued patronage of Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts!

Steve Kalbaugh, General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I don't usually review hotels but I feel it’s important that people know about our experience here. I made reservations 6 months in advance for a 6 night stay. About a month before the trip our airline changed our flight to arrive after midnight. I called the hotel on three occasions, including the morning of our flight, to make sure they would hold our reservation. Each time I was told that we were guaranteed for a late check-in. After traveling across country and driving over an hour from the airport, we arrived at 12:45 am and were told there were no rooms and that a reservation was made for us at another hotel. The young man at the counter was apologetic and was sympathetic that our room had been guaranteed to us and then given away but it was out of his hands. Had someone called us, we would have booked a room near the airport and driven to the beach in the morning. We were not charged for this night, the Holiday Inn Express paid the other hotel. However it’s important to note that the place they sent us to was several miles away, not on the beach and was basically a rundown motel. The rooms were dark, dank and musty. The AC/heat barely worked. The carpets, bedding and furniture all stained and/or broken. There was hair on one of the pillows. The shower and bathroom were filthy. With two flights of concrete steps, no elevator, and a noisy airfield directly across the street. I would never had chosen to stay at that motel. Worse, we had to give them our credit card for a deposit in case we "damaged" that awful room. One week later and the “deposit” has still not been refunded. We called the Holiday Inn Resort before checking into the other motel to let them know how uncomfortable we were staying there and giving them our credit card information but there was nothing they could do, they had given our room away. They said someone would call us the next morning as soon as a room became available. The following morning I called the Holiday Inn and spoke to the front desk manager, Mike. It was clear he knew nothing of our story and we got the sense that no one was planning to call us when a room became available. He wasn't sympathetic at all. I called Holiday Inn Express Guest Services, they called the hotel and told us to just sit tight and wait for the hotel to call. After driving around aimlessly for several hours, we went back to the Holiday Inn and found the lobby filled with a group of people who had already checked out and were waiting for their bus to take them to their cruise ship. Obviously rooms had become available yet no one from the hotel had called us. At that point we insisted they get us in a room a.s.a.p. While we waited, we asked to speak to the manager, only to realize that he was no more than five feet away the whole time as we explained (again) what was happening. We knew he had overheard us but had not come over to ask us what the issue was. We took photos of the room at the motel, he reluctantly looked at them. For our trouble we were given two dinner vouchers and three breakfast vouchers to the Restaurant in the hotel. As for the vouchers, we actually liked the restaurant, we found the food to be quite good, the service adequate and the staff courteous, as was most of this hotels staff. However, had we disliked the restaurant, we would have basically gotten nothing for our trouble. The day after we checked in, the elevator nearest our room broke down and was not repaired again for the remainder of our stay. We had to walk to the other side of the hotel to catch the elevator, our room was on the seventh floor. The corridors are outside, not a big deal, but with the wind and the rain, the extra-long walk was just that much more inconvenient. On Tuesday the electricity went out completely in the hotel for a few hours. The generator was loud. There always seemed to be some kind of noisy project going on. Water pipes being replaced, pool repairs. As I mentioned, the general staff and restaurant staff were friendly, the restaurant food good. The other redeeming quality of this hotel was the room itself. It was clean, comfortable and well appointed, with a great view. But beware when booking here, they do not feel the need to keep your reservation or call you if they do give away your room, and they will not care where they stick you for the night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear M C,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the issues you encountered with your reservation. Although the matter has been addressed in a timely manner, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services. We will address the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we are grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Lyman, Maine
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here before our cruise on the Carnival Magic. Was clean and well kept. Staff for hotel and shuttle very nice. Room wasn't ready until 4pm on check in day, but wasn't a big deal for us, we just went and enjoyed the waterfront. Nice buffet breakfast too!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 8 March 2017
Thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We strive hard to offer a consistent product with exceptional service. Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to you returning in the near future.
HOUSTON TEXAS
Reviewed 25 February 2013

It's old but not falling down!! It's CLEAN, not dirty!! It's loud when the band is playing and you are on a lower floor just request a higher floor! duh! I have stayed here before. I loved the location, the fact it does have a bar with live entertainment , a restaurant & free shuttle to The Strand, so I booked here again for my visit for Mardi Gras weekend (Feb 8-10). I have seen some terrible reviews about the noise, not being clean...I wonder if they stayed at the same hotel? Everything was awesome. Room service was fast and the food was wonderful. I wanted a place so the party people in my group would have a bar to entertain themselves so I could go to bed when I wanted and not make them leave cause I was TIRED. So convenient! I slept very well in their comfortable bed. The room has a microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, ample toiletries...during Mardi Gras, this hotel was a bargain, it's probably why you booked it, cause the prices are higher than normal at this time of year for all hotels in Galveston. The staff was amazing!!

Room Tip: It's loud when the band is playing and you are on a lower floor just request a higher floor! Wes...
1 Thank Carla L
Thank you for letting us know we are achieving our goal of great customer service in a awesome product. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to you returning in the near future.
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights Feb 2013. Expected more when charged $408 for the first 2 nights! This is an older property with fresh Holiday Inn paint linens and decor. From the lobby you have to drive around the back of the building to a crowded parking lot, and take one of two rickety elevators to your floor and walk an exterior hallway to the room. (elevator near my room was out of service Friday, and then again Monday) Parking lot full of bar patrons on weekends, limited parking for guests. Playground and tennis court pictured on website are on adjacent properties. If you look at the picture of the playground you can see the hotel. older white building behind it diagonally to the left. Pool was closed for renovations, and no hot tub. Bar was hopping until 2:00am. I know because the pool area was a floor down from my room and I had to listen to bar patrons holler, flirt and try to start fights until 2:00 am. Moved to a new room for remaining nights. Lovely oceanfront view was over a rooftop of AC units, and included previous guests discarded beer bottles and cig butts. The balcony doors were glass doors painted black (see the photoshop improvement to off white doors next to windows in hotel pictures) and fitted poorly. It was very windy when we stayed so the exterior walkways to the rooms and poorly fitted doors made the room more unpleasant. Balcony is tiny 3.5 feet deep with plastic chairs. Purchased room including breakfast and had to wait 35 minutes to be seated for primarily a breakfast buffet, while tables sat empty. Three sets of patrons were seated ahead of us without being on the waiting list. (restaurant manager did comp us lunch after complaining) We added a third night when we realized our event would end too late to drive home. Could have switched hotels to a Country Inn for $59 a night but not moving to a new hotel seemed worth the extra $20 to just stay where we were for $79(we had already moved rooms once in our stay) Final insult was finding that they overcharged me nearly $200. This is an old beach flop, not up to the standards of the properties nearby and not worth the price I agreed to pay, and definately not worth the $760 charge they are trying to put on my card!

Room Tip: Upper floors (above 5th) might be quieter and have better view, but rooms not worth over $100 a nigh...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica B
Dear Jessica B,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Hastings, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We were to cruise on the Carnival Triumph, the cruise did not happen, we were disappointed about the cruise but the hotel staff bent over backwards to see that we had a good time. Everyone was so friendly and courteous. We had a ball in the lounge on kareoke night. When we wanted to go some where the shuttle driver Debbie was so accomodating and personable. The rooms were just average (carpets were pretty soiled) but our balcony had a beautiful view of the ocean which is just across the street. We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
It is awesome to hear that after all this time we are still doing the same today as awhile ago for out guests. I am sorry to hear about the cruise but elated you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you again and we look forward to you returning in the near future.