“Overpriced and smelled”

Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in December 2013. The rate was. $148, while the Holiday Inn Express Down the road was $79 and the Hilton next door was $99. This Holiday Inn was way overpriced, had an outside entrance (like a cheap motel), the toilet would not flush even after maintenance came several times and the room began to smell like wet carpet and sewage the 2nd night. Thank goodness I only stayed two nights . I will never stay there again , and will really have to give a lot of thought to staying at any Holiday Inn due to my experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I apologize for your negative experience. We have not previously had a complaint such as this and this is not the standard of our hotel. We take pride in providing both a Quality Product and Qaulity Service. Please contact me at the hotel directly to further discuss this matter.

Steve Kalbaugh, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

When we checked in, the desk clerk stopped twice to answer the phone and take reservations. There should have been another person working the desk.

We got a King suite on the 7th floor. The room is actually nice. Beware the bathroom is tiny and the shower head was meant for a midget. I'm 5'5 and it was even too short for me. My 6'4 husband almost broke his back taking a shower.

Even though we were located on the 7th floor you could hear the music from the bar downstairs off season on a Thursday night around 1am.

The housekeeping staff start early and were slamming doors and making a lot of noise. The view from the room was nice.

Overall, the place has potential and would be fun in the summer time, but the customer service and staff made is less pleasant.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I apologize for the negative experience that you had at our hotel. This is not our standard of service. Please contact me directly at the hotel so we can further discuss your stay. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The service here was unbeatable! I was greeted promptly and was offered an upgrade for my room. I was also asked ifI was a member of their rewards club (I was not). They asked if I wanted to enroll and did it for me right there. I received a welcome snack and the room was clean and had everything well stocked. The view of the Gulf of Mexico was amazing! The service was impeccable. They went above and beyond to make our stay the best I've ever had. We came from dinner our first night and there was a tray with a beautiful fruit plate. They also offered shuttle service to all the points of interest. I can't say enough good things about the staff and their service. I will definitely be staying there every time I return to Galveston! ! Thank you to the entire staff for the warm welcome, friendly service and beautiful smiles everyone had!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this hotel. I asked for non-smoking wit a view and it was.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rae6504

Thank you for your review and feed back. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is good to hear that we exceeded your expectations in our Hotel Product, Cleanliness and Service. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to every guest. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in Galveston very soon!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times and the service has been wonderful each time. The hotel offers a "cruise package" that is worth the price. You can stay one night and park your car there while on the cruise. They offer a free shuttle drop off/pick up to the Galveston cruise terminal. Each room faces the ocean (floors 4 and up have the better views). They have a nice restaurant and bar. Holly at the front desk was wonderful. She was helpful in booking a room for some fellow cruise friends at the last minute. This hotel is worth the stay.

Room Tip: choose a room on the top floors for the better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rob W
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the wonderful comments about our hotel and our staff. We are glad that you enjoy staying with us and that you take advantage of our Park and Cruise Package as well as dining in our Jetty Restaurant. Thank you for your commendation of Holly, as well. We appreciate your business and we hope that you can make a return visit to our hotel next time you cruise from Galveston!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We recently had a 3 night stay. All of the hotels employees were extremely friendly and helpful. The response time for housekeeping items such as coffee and a wine opener was less than 5 minutes. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star hotels but they don't have as quick service.

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach view and balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate your review and your feedback. Thank you for commending us on our service. We ar so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your business and we hope that you can visit our hotel in Galveston again very soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Let me start by saying that my husband and I received "TOP NOTCH" customer service by the entire staff but Mr. Mike and Mr. Keith were OUTSTANDING hosts for Holiday Inn. These days you just don't see that type of customer service anymore. The stay was pleasurable and we totally enjoyed each day of our stay. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because they were having issues with key cards upon check in...my husband had to go down a few times to reactivate the card. Other than that Galveston has really come UP and the view of the beach from this hotel was EXCELLENT!!! We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor...like 8 if you can...less noise and GREAT VIEW!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your review and your feedback. We appreciate your comments about both our improved Service and Product at our property. I apologize for your inconvenience with your guestroom key card. We appreciate your patronage of Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts and we hope that you can return for a visit to Galveston again soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We went with my husband for few days on our wedding anniversary . Personnel were very helpful and friendly . When we came back to the room after supper we had very nice surprise : champagne with the fruits on the tray . It was so nice from Josie at the front desk. Our breakfast was also very enjoyable with very good service at the hotel restaurant . Helly - our waiter did very good job , more then belong to her duty. We really enjoy staying in this hotel, very good location and with all friendly personnel you fill like you have royal vacation . We belong to priority club , we are platinum members with them and for sure we will continue to be their guests on our excursions.

Room Tip: All rooms are located on the golf side an have excellent view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review. First we thank you for being a Platinum IHG Rewards Guest. Second, we Thank you for your commendation of our team. It is our Team's Goal to provide a Quality Product and Exceptional Service. We are glad that Josie and our Team WOWed you. Thank you for your continued patronage of Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts and we hope that you can visit us again in Galveston soon!