“Staff was amazing”

Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Champaign, Illinois, United States
“Staff was amazing”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The rooms at this hotel were nice. Nothing to get really excited about but they were comfortable and clean. The staff however were wonderful. The shuttle driver took us to shop at Walmart and a sporting goods place. Then he took us to dinner at Fish Tales. The next morning we were taken to the port for our cruise and our cars were allowed to be parked for the whole week for free! Amazing! Unfortunately the weather was awful so we couldn't enjoy the beach or the pool. Maybe next time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juleigh M
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that our team exceeded your expectations during your stay with us. I am sorry that you didn't have better weather. We thank you for your business and we hope that you can return to our hotel in Galveston when the weather is better.

Steve Kalbaugh, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My daughter, her best friend, and I stayed at The Holiday Inn Resort in Galveston on December 20, 2013, for one night. We were there to celebrate my daughter's birthday, which is also a few days shy of my birthday. As a priority club member, the hotel knew it was near my birthday and had a "birthday treat" for us in the room. I was very impressed. Josie at check in was WONDERFUL! She was so helpful and kind! This hotel has excellent customer service. We also received free breakfast the next morning, which was fantastic. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas. The room was very nice with very comfortable beds. It had a microwave and mini-frig. Even though it was a dreary day when we were there the view was great! We were on the fifth floor. Holly at check out was also great and very helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again! Looking forward to our next trip to the Galveston Holiday Inn Resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and feedback. We are so pleased to hear that our team members made your your daughter's birthday and your family's stay at our hotel a memorable one. It is our goal to Fulfill People's Dreams and Goals and we are happy to hear that we did so. Thank you for your continued patronage of Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts and we hope that you can return to Galveston very soon!

Universal City, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Im not the type to write reviews but this place was so horribale i had to let people know, you will think twice about staying here. The moment i stepped in the room i noticed how Filthy it was, i know its a beach hotel but really. It had a huge STAIN on the carpet right next to bed it was orange in color and looked to be old Vomit! There was dust on everything, the shower had very poor water pressure. The desk chair was leather and it was cracking, the sheets on the bed had hair and stains in them, luckly we brougt our sleeping bags. Even still i woke up the next morning with tiny red bites on my arms legs and back! Oh and the balcony is so narrow threres barley enough room to sit out there on very rusted chairs :/ Take your money elsewhere!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank vacationmomknowsbest
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear vacationmomknowsbest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We take these types of claims very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in order to obtain some additional information.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is one fantastic property. We stayed there for five nights. It began with Keith, when when we checked in. EVERYONE was very friendly. Our room was beautiful. It had a refrigerator and a microwave. We used both.That evening, a fruit a cheese plate was brought to our room. WOW! That was unexpected. Holly checked us out., She was wonderful. EVERY staff member was helpful. The balcony had two chairs and a table. It made for perfect end of the day.

Our room was clean. No one used a fragrance to cover bad smells because it was not needed. The king bed was VERY comfortable. Several months ago, I bought a Novafoam mattress and this was much nicer.

The band was quite loud each night. One evening, the bass was so strong that the floor shook in Jiggers. Going back to our fifth floor reduced the problem.

Jennifer was the room inspector. I think that she does a wonderful job,

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. We had a romantic view of the Gulf.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and our team exceeded your expectations. We thank you for your continued patronage of Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts and we hope that you can make a return visit to our hotel in Galveston very soon!

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The shower handle didn't work into room, so there's that. Not to mention the fact that my husband was trying to book a room at the San Luis & got redirected to this & didn't know it until it was too late. Then this delightful pit refused to cancel & refund our money so we could book a room at a nice hotel where the shower works. Will never stay at a Holiday Inn anywhere ever again.

• Stayed January 2014
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
On behalf of our team, I apologize that you had a poor experience with our resort. It is not the standard of our hotel. Our hotel takes pride in providing a quality product, a well-maintained and clean hotel, and friendly & courteous service. I again apologize for your inconvenience. We appreciate your business and we do hope that you will re-consider staying at another Holiday Inn property in the future.

North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here because they have free parking during a cruise and a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. We were placed on the 1st floor the first night and yes, you can hear the loud music from the club and you have no view. Our view was a brick wall.

HOWEVER, the hotel was very accommodating and moved us for the 2nd night stay to the 8th floor. The staff was very professional. Very nice view. They also gave us free breakfast vouchers for the trouble.

I judge a business more by how they handle problems than if they have problems, and this hotel did a good job.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry W
Thank you for your review and your feedback. I am sorry about your inconvenience but I am glad to hear that our team turned your stay with us around. We thank you for your business and hope that you can return to our hotel in Galveston very soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

It was late on a Saturday night and my children had been shopping all day in Houston and at the outlets in Texas City. We decided to stay in Galveston and do a little shopping on the strand the next day. We normally stay next door at the San Luis, but for some reason I wanted to try the Holiday Inn. I guess because I'm an IHG member. Anyways, we got a room on the first floor, I made sure the clerk understood that I needed a non-smoking room in a non-smoking area due to my daughters allergies. She said she understood. We were put on the first floor. Like I said, it was late and parking was a nightmare. Our room was in like a small closed in breezeway and reeked of smoke. I'll just say, they only thing that was a plus was that the room opened to the swimming pool. Which would have been great, had it not been 40 degrees outside. The music from the club thumped until around 2:30 AM. The room had a damp, moldy smell. You can tell that the property is long over due for a make over. The carpet was horrendous. I made my children keep their socks on at all times. They were black on bottom by the time they were tucked in bed. We woke for breakfast and decided to try the buffet in the hotel. It was $10.99 per person. Even for my 8 year old. I paid 11 bucks for her to eat 3 pieces of pineapple and a couple pieces of watermelon. Our server was less than courteous, and his tip reflected this. I had to flag him down for a juice refill and for napkins. Overall this was not what I was expecting from a Holiday Inn "Resort". I felt cheated when I checked out.

Room Tip: choose another resort. I highly recommend the San Luis Resort.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank MMcDonald829
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for your review. This is not our standard for cleanliness or service at our resort. We take pride in providing both a quality product and service. Please contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss your hotel stay.