“Gets Worse Each Trip”

Hammond, Louisiana
“Gets Worse Each Trip”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

3 bad things:
1. If you are going to make an issue of "OUR FREE WI-FI"...you need to make sure it works, called desk, offered to move me to another room; that was to much trouble for me as I had "unpacked"
2. NO HOT WATER.....If you need any explanition on that, then I can't help with this review.
3. No COFFEE in room. You carry "Coffee & maker in each room" when I made resverations. It was not there...do I get a discount?? Or maybe the staff made an error there was De-caf?? I like regular coffee...not there, and again I checked out at 04:30. COULD NOT GET A ZERO BALANCE RECIEPT?!?!?! I still don't understand that. I have one more reseravation at this hotel this year.... headed back down the road to the Express.

Room Tip: Think of Wi-Fi as A/C at desk....the closer you are to the desk the better it works!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Richard S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
I want to apologize that you had a poor experience with our resort. It is not the standard of our hotel. Our hotel takes pride in providing a quality product. We are currently upgrading our wifi, and all of the rooms provide in-room coffee. I again apologize for your inconvenience. We appreciate your business and we do hope that you will re-consider staying with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
St. Louis
Reviewed 25 June 2014

While the hotel was nice...we arrived to find that the beach was completely unusable - a wall of seaweed several feet tall and wide spanned for miles, blocking access to the Gulf. It was "unsightly and stinky" according to a pamphlet at the hotel, two things I do not want to experience on my beach vacation. Yes, I realize that the hotel staff cannot control "seaweed season," nor the fact that this year's season is "the worst they've seen in years" (per the front desk), I nonetheless find it unethical and dishonest for them not to disclose such things when booking, especially when the staff admitted that last year's "season" spanned the entire summer, from June to August. The reason we (and most likely everyone else there) chose to stay there was because of the beach. And when the beach is not usable or accessible, the
nice room means nothing. My husband and I left after one night, forfeiting the rest of our stay. Very, very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Krismybass
Richard S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us this summer. Galveston has 100s of attractions for visitors to enjoy including the Pleasure Pier, The historic Strand, the Grand Opera House, dolphin tours, oil rig museum, rainforest exhibit, ropes course, paddleboarding, flight museum and many, many more. The beaches are cleaned nightly byt the city, but the presence of seaweed is not something we can control, and are disappointed to hear it ruined your vacation. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you are in Galveston.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Fist of all we were given a room that wasn't ready so had to wait for someone to come up with another key further along the landing. All rooms are entered from the back of the hotel so all rooms face the sea. The next room was nice but had no toilet paper. Strike two. The wifi only worked out on the balcony, strike three. The wifi is a big thing with me as I can talk to my wife in seconds using FaceTime. Hotel in a great position and a great view of the Gulf from the balcony. Just cross over the road to the beach and swim in the sea. I chose to swim in the sea after watching some one swimming in the pool and constantly spitting in it. You are able to use the facilities of the hotel next door which is twice the size. Great hotel for families with young children. Room and bathroom very clean. Apart from little niggles a good hotel and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views. The higher you go the better it is.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed our gulf views. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered at the start of your trip. We want to let you know that we are going to be enhancing our Wi-Fi this coming week. I hope that on your next stay we will exceed your every expectation. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Groveton, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We bring the kids on a mini two day vaca every year to the Galveston beach. We have tried a few hotels, but keep on coming back to this one. It is a little pricey in my opinion, however it is very clean. The main reason we love this hotel is because of the large clean pool. You are located right across the street from the beach, you can shower off all the sand right beside the pool, and then take a nice dip. There is bar service at the pool if your a drinker, and a full service bar and grill located beside the pool. After staying at other hotels, I'm a huge fan of The Resort on the Beach!!!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Cassie G
Thank you for coming back to us. We enjoy providing a great family resort for our guest to enjoy. The pool is a great area to relax while enjoying our activities. Thank you again for continually coming back we value you loyalty and hope to see you again next year.
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. It was within walking distance to the Convention Center for the trade show we attended. Also, it's right on the beach with plenty of parking. Does not include free breakfast, but is also within walking distance to IHOP which was a nice treat for us. The staff were all extremely friendly and the room was clean with a great view of the beach. The pool has an interesting shape, was clean and well cared for, and staff was on hand with free snow cones and apparently a movie with popcorn later that night.

Room Tip: I have heard to avoid pool side rooms which are noisy. Ask for a great view of the beach though!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trade show. We do offer room packages that include breakfast options, so be sure to ask when booking to see what is available. I am glad you enjoyed our beachfront location and that there are many locations within walking distance to our hotel. We have a great activities team who enjoy proving the extras poolside amenities. Thank you for giving us your review.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Holly and the staff were very friendly and polite. They really care about the safety of their customers. The service was great! The location was perfect!!! We had an awesome view of the beach from our room. The kids loved the pool and enjoyed the outdoor movies. We would definitely stay here again!!!

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us. Holly and the staff do an excellent job in providing friendly service to our guest. I will share your comments with them. I am glad to hear that the kids enjoyed our pool and that they were able to spend time watching our dive-in movie that our activities team provides. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My first trip here last year I was a little disappointed. I booked a romm here for an ocean view, but the smoking rooms are only on the first 2 floors and some are blocked by the restaurant and lobby area. I spoke with the manager after that visit and he assured me that I would have a different experience this time, and he was right. The staff was much friendlier this time and I had a room with a great view. What really impressed me is the amount of time they spend cleaning the common areas such as the pool area. Every day i watched them scrub and vacumm the pool, spray down the entire deck area, and wipe down all the tables and chairs before they laid out fresh towels in every spot. Attention to detail on these small items makes me feel that they are on top of their game. p.s. Having the bar onsite is a huge bonus.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank TIM T
Thank you for staying with us again at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston- On the Beach. I am glad to hear this experience was great. Our staff takes pride in keeping all of the areas of the hotel guest ready and does an excellent job in keeping it clean. Thank you for your review.