“Family Vacation”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Haltom City, Texas
“Family Vacation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our family vacation and because we have had great experiences w/ Holiday Inn Hotels in the past, we didn't expect anything less from this stay. Especially w/tourism going on 7 days a week due to cruise lines and coast. This holiday inn was nice however in comparison to its competitors, it could afford to majorly "beef up" its amenities and service. For starters, we arrived 2 hours before check-in. We knew this was too early, but thought we'd give it a try and check the status of our room. The front desk informed us our room was not yet ready and to please provide them w/a cell number so they could call us as soon as it was. We did. After not hearing from them for an hour and a half later, I checked again. We were told it wouldn't be much longer as they were still getting our room, located on the "executive floor", ready and that it would be momentarily. Keeping in mind, there was officially only 30 more minutes left before check-in, we didn't think too much about it. Check in time came and our room was STILL not ready. While the front desk was handing out keys to all other guests, I stood in line, again, expecting to get my key. To much disappointment, I was told our room was still not ready. The front desk clerk called the manager over to inform him of our dilemma. He did not acknowledge us, introduce himself or apologize, but instead picked up the phone and spoke to someone for all but 30 seconds, then hung up. He then introduced himself, said he spoke to housekeeping and to please give him another 5-10 minutes and our room should be ready. So now, if you don't include the 2 hours of wait time prior to check in, we are waiting 20 minutes AFTER check in to get into our room. By the way, our room was a standard room w/2 double beds. Not a presidential suite of any kind. After finally getting our room keys, we wait for the 1 elevator, located on the west side, for about another 10 minutes. By the way, 5-8 minutes was the average wait time for the elevator, which was hot & humid w/no a/c. Once we finally get in/off the elevator, we get into our room which was clean, but that's about it. It was tight in space for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The restroom was especially tight, no room at all. Your knees were practically a foot and a half away from the door. There was absolutely no way everyone's luggage could be stored without having to be creative in where you placed it. Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed w/our room. Both ice machines, on our floor, were out of order during our entire stay. We had to continually go down to 1st floor for ice. The pool was nice and clean, but could have been larger in size in order to accommodate all guests properly. Pool/bar attendant was scarce which made you have to go into bar to order your own drinks. Something we did not want to do, since we were w/our teenagers. Music ran from bar to pool. However, outdoor pool speakers were not audible. We ended up using my son's portable speaker and ipod, in order to hear music. Game room was only big enough for 5 teenagers at a time (if that). For this being a full service hotel, we expected nightly entertainment, as some of its competitors had. I must again say, we were extremely disappointed. Though the staff was friendly and courteous, it did not make up for what it lacked. We will not be staying at this location again. But due to the great rooms and experiences in the past, we will still be Holiday Inn patrons.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cantu-Clan4
Richard S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
On behalf of our team, I apologize that you had a poor experience with our resort. We take pride in providing a quality product. I will address with the management team your concerns. We value your business and appreciate your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Roe, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here as part of a family vacation. We experienced very friendly staff. The Wi-Fi was iffy (off and on), but other than that, I have no compaints. There is a small, but adequately equipped, fitness center. The hotel is within walking distance of several restaurants. Holly, at the front desk, was pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping was excellent (Martha Flores). Overall, we had a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us again at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston- On the Beach. I am glad to hear your experience was great on your family vacation. Our staff takes pride in providing excellent service. I will share your feedback with all of the staff. Thank you for recognizing our employees. Thank you for your review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for part of our family vacation. The hotel stay was OK. Its a good hotel but not worth the price I paid for a three nite stay. When you hear resort, you think of lots of things to do at this place. Well this resort is small but it is centrally located by other great venues and the beach is just across the street. The game room is a joke with only about 8 games and over half of those are broken. The balconeys are very small where only 2 people can access it at a time. The door to our balcony didn't lock and the room next door could easily access your room when you're not there and steal your belongings. The pool was a little small for the amount of people at the the hotel. Also you cannot bring your own beer, sodas, or water to the pool area, you must buy their drinks if you get thirsty while swimming or lounging.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you on your next visit to Galveston!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

While in town for business my stay at the Holiday Inn was excellent. Staff was overly helpful. The front office manager Joanne was great in giving me directions to UTMB even the specific building where I needed to go. The view was great. A little to much seaweed but that nature. Overall it was wonderful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston- On the Beach. We do indeed have a great staff committed on their service to our guest and am glad to hear that the team exceeded your expectations. I will pass on your feedback to the entire team. Thank you for visiting and can’t wait to welcome you back in the future.
Hammond, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

3 bad things:
1. If you are going to make an issue of "OUR FREE WI-FI"...you need to make sure it works, called desk, offered to move me to another room; that was to much trouble for me as I had "unpacked"
2. NO HOT WATER.....If you need any explanition on that, then I can't help with this review.
3. No COFFEE in room. You carry "Coffee & maker in each room" when I made resverations. It was not there...do I get a discount?? Or maybe the staff made an error there was De-caf?? I like regular coffee...not there, and again I checked out at 04:30. COULD NOT GET A ZERO BALANCE RECIEPT?!?!?! I still don't understand that. I have one more reseravation at this hotel this year.... headed back down the road to the Express.

Room Tip: Think of Wi-Fi as A/C at desk....the closer you are to the desk the better it works!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I want to apologize that you had a poor experience with our resort. It is not the standard of our hotel. Our hotel takes pride in providing a quality product. We are currently upgrading our wifi, and all of the rooms provide in-room coffee. I again apologize for your inconvenience. We appreciate your business and we do hope that you will re-consider staying with us in the future.
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

While the hotel was nice...we arrived to find that the beach was completely unusable - a wall of seaweed several feet tall and wide spanned for miles, blocking access to the Gulf. It was "unsightly and stinky" according to a pamphlet at the hotel, two things I do not want to experience on my beach vacation. Yes, I realize that the hotel staff cannot control "seaweed season," nor the fact that this year's season is "the worst they've seen in years" (per the front desk), I nonetheless find it unethical and dishonest for them not to disclose such things when booking, especially when the staff admitted that last year's "season" spanned the entire summer, from June to August. The reason we (and most likely everyone else there) chose to stay there was because of the beach. And when the beach is not usable or accessible, the
nice room means nothing. My husband and I left after one night, forfeiting the rest of our stay. Very, very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Krismybass
Richard S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us this summer. Galveston has 100s of attractions for visitors to enjoy including the Pleasure Pier, The historic Strand, the Grand Opera House, dolphin tours, oil rig museum, rainforest exhibit, ropes course, paddleboarding, flight museum and many, many more. The beaches are cleaned nightly byt the city, but the presence of seaweed is not something we can control, and are disappointed to hear it ruined your vacation. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you are in Galveston.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Fist of all we were given a room that wasn't ready so had to wait for someone to come up with another key further along the landing. All rooms are entered from the back of the hotel so all rooms face the sea. The next room was nice but had no toilet paper. Strike two. The wifi only worked out on the balcony, strike three. The wifi is a big thing with me as I can talk to my wife in seconds using FaceTime. Hotel in a great position and a great view of the Gulf from the balcony. Just cross over the road to the beach and swim in the sea. I chose to swim in the sea after watching some one swimming in the pool and constantly spitting in it. You are able to use the facilities of the hotel next door which is twice the size. Great hotel for families with young children. Room and bathroom very clean. Apart from little niggles a good hotel and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views. The higher you go the better it is.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed our gulf views. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered at the start of your trip. We want to let you know that we are going to be enhancing our Wi-Fi this coming week. I hope that on your next stay we will exceed your every expectation. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.