“Hotel of my Dreams”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“Hotel of my Dreams”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

OMG we have stayed her twice the first time was when we went on a cruise and they keep our car and dropped us off and picked us for free!!!!! Ok let start with how beautiful this place is. This is like creme of la creme. This second stay was the best we got there at check in and swam in the large heated pool in the middle of janurary. The pool is the best thing about the hotel swim in the heated pool while watching the ocean and there swim up bar is to die for. Plus they have kids drinks and a slide. The rooms are great two large beds and big screen tv. desk and huge bathroom. We had to check out at 11am and even though the kid swam till 2am they wanted to swim more and they keep our bags and told us to enjoy the pool as long as we liked. There rooms are worth the price. Plus they have resturants inside and room service. They also bring up extra air bed if needed. 2pools and a hot tub. Cudos to San Luis we Love you!

Room Tip: 4f floor and up has best views
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Sunday through Thursday in January through April except spring break, is a great buy.
my first day of 2012 was spent outdoors in the heated pool with H20 bar. Peering through the Steam coming off the water as the surf crashed on the Gulf Coast. the waterfall was in sharp contrast to the heated pool and hot tub.

My room was on the 12th floor. My bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean. Minor low battery in remote was swapped out in less than 5 minutes.

Staff at front desk, gift shops, restaurant and pool all were helpful. It was a great way to start the new year.

Room Tip: The closer to the top the better the view. Club floor is on 10 and has a modern hip look. Penthouse...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at The San Luis and were able to take advantage of our tropical heated pool. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Like most resorts during high season, the San Luis can get very crowded and rowdy. If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, then book a room during late fall, winter, or early spring. DONT even think about Galveston at the San Luis or anywhere on the island during spring break or summer months.
As other reviews have mentioned, employees are very courteous and service is good. You can isolate yourself somewhat with a Club 10 Room. But when people come to Galveston to party and get drunk, hotel staff can't really control that, unless of course you've got JLO's money to rent a suite at the top of the building (see recent Houston Chronicle Sunday review of her stay in Galveston).
For the rest of us mere mortals, you can have a fantastic romantic getaway in a regular room during the seasons when students are in school. After Labor Day, the crowds thin out, and you won't likely run into a drunken party of idiots. And the weather still is great for the beach and the pool.
San Luis Resort has been in Galveston for quite a long time since it was one of the flagship properties of George Mitchell. After he sold it, the biggest rennovation was to the poolside decor, which encourages folks to endulge at the swim-up pool bar. The rooms are standard size. The bathrooms are on the small size, compared even to business chains such as Marriott's Courtyard or Hilton's Hampton Inns. The rooms could use some updating, and none of them will ever compare with the all-inclusive five-star resorts in countries outside the US, such as Costa Rica or Mexico.
Food is average, compared to all the other nearby restaurants in the city.
Bottom LIne: The San Luis is the largest hotel resort in Galveston with the largest pool and the most services under one roof, including a spa and exercise room on the basement level (and a tennis court behind the building). Spending the majority of time at the pool makes the property feel like an exotic resort. It's definitely worth a long weekend away from the big, nasty city for a relaxing and/or romantic getaway.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank danceraddict
We appreciate your business and are glad you enjoyed your time at The San Luis. You are correct in that we are quite busy during the summer months, as many families choose to make Galveston Island their vacation destination. We hope you will return soon.
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I were in Galveston for a business meeting and stayed at the San Luis Resort.
The hotel is and older hotel but has been updated and is very pretty. We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was in the cafe and was great. Many items to choose from on their breakfast bar. You could not ask for a nicer staff, everyone always spoke and many when you pasted them asked if there was anything we needed. Would we stay there again......you bet!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the gulf and have balconys so all are good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pumpkin1062
We are so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your time at The San Luis, and pleased to hear that our breakfast variety suited your tastes. We periodically post last-minute specials on our Facebook page, so become a fan and you'll be the first to know when we are offering great deals!
Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Where to start? We just left this "5 star resort" and to say the least, it was a disappointment. However, I'll start with the good things.

Valet staff---excellent (Kevin, Robert)
Food--awesome! Bone in filet at steakhouse and fish tacos at bar!!!
Club 10 rooms---overall wonderful, updated, excellent snacks/continental breakfast
Spa---the best massage and body polish ever!!!! Debbie is a gem!
Heated pool--loved it! This is by far one of the best areas...Sean at the h2o bar was great!
Excellent views!!!

Now onto the ugly:
Steakhouse seating is ridiculous...pricey.....service was unacceptable

Roudy drunks on our 1st nights stay...called security twice and situation never resolved until they passed out at 5 (should have been given a warning and then eviction in my opinion...but I happen to know they were VIP's and were never evicted). When complained to manager, a simple sorry but no resolution..would a credit to our account for the night in any form be too much to give? Or a credit on our next stay? They could have cared less!!!!

We purchased a cabana that we were told could at least been used until 9 pm. We used it until 5, left our belongings (2 magazines, six pack of beer, 20 dollar bottle of lotion from spa, fruit bowl), returned after dinner at 7:45 to find our cabana closed with all of our things thrown into the trash with no explanation. We complained to manager who again expressed a simple sorry with no resolution. In my opinion, we should have been credited for this purchase since they didn't live up to their part of the purchase.

The worst part? We bought a "romance package" the next day for a supposed penthouse room with more square footage, a "garden tub", etc. after staying at the club 10 room, let's just say this room is far inferior and we paid two hundred dollars more for this package. It did include a few miles ride in their Bentley which was cool by the way (thanks Robert! Another gem)...we had to be moved from this room because of a broken air conditioner and then were moved from this room with no help offered with our luggage, and the champagne and strawberries promised weren't to be found in this room. Our new room had cold water in the shower, dilapidated decor, yet another air conditioner that didn't cool (btw our patio door remained closed---the hotel manager uses this excuse apparently)....bottom line??? Do NOT stay In any other room except club 10 if you dare stay here!!!!!

The managers are apologetic but do nothing to resolve your complaints. They did offer a complimentary breakfast on the morning of our departure but after a $1500 2 day stay, we were anxious to get out, so we declined.

Overall this hotel has a lot of potential to be a five star resort, but it just isn't quite there due to management issues. I've stayed at 4 star hotels that were far superior and less expensive than this hotel. And other 5 stars blow them away with their service and attentiveness!

Next time I think we will try the Hotel Galvez!

Room Tip: The only rooms I would use are the club 10 only if security will help take care of drunk guests
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TexasDeedle
I am delighted to hear that you had some wonderful encounters with our 5-star staff at The San Luis. However, I am sorry to hear about your other experiences throughout your stay. If you would email me directly, I will be glad to look further into your issues with Security not responding to loud neighbors, your belongings being thrown away in a cabana and having to change rooms from our Penthouse Suite. My email is ehimes@ldry.com and I look forward to the opportunity to resolve these issues.
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Amazing staff!!! Casey, Paul, Brittany, Davin...thank you!

The pool area is beautiful! We stayed in mid-January and swam for 6 hours in 90 degree water!!! The slide in kid pool, grotto area, and hot tub are so fun!
The food is yummy - get the fish tacos @ the H2O swim up bar.
Paul at the front desk set us up in room 1427. The room was big and beautiful with views of the water and the town. Paul - you gave us such a gift. Thank you!
I've traveled extensively and this truly was one of the most phenomenal resort stays I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.
Wonderful!!

• Stayed January 2012
We are so glad you had a fantastic time staying with us in January. We hope you will return to stay with us again soon!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I have stayed at The San Luis on a few occasions and had a good time. The place is a little antiquated but not bad. Today I received an email for "Buy one night get one night free" but only on certain weekends. I thought that seemed like a great deal and jumped online (as I always do) I found a room for $129.00 per night and the most expensive was $189.00 per night. I chose the lower of the two because we prefer two queen beds. I entered the special promotional code word that was provided in the email and it wasn't recognized. I thought that I must have attempted to book too so so I called the resort directly. After speaking with two different ladies (the second one was rude BTW). I was told that the cheapest room was $199.00. I explained that was more expensive than the rooms on their site and ask if the special code was going to work at a later time. I was told "No, that's just the way it is and IF I want the special I would have to book that room.
I feel that if they basically want $199.00 for two nights then say that! Don't offer a free nights stay and not honor any of the prices on their own website.

An Old SL Client

PS

I just called back and didn't mention the "free night" and was quoted the same rates as their site says...I said I'll book and hears my promotional code, I was again shot down and the rate accelerated up to the $199.00

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Dan S
I apologize for the experience you had with our Reservations team when calling to reserve your stay with us. You are correct, that we offered a limited time Buy One Night, Receive the Second Night Complimentary promotion, that offered a 2-night stay for $199. This promotion would have been cheaper to purchase than buying 2 nights at $129 each night. If I can be of further assistance, feel free to email me at ehimes@ldry.com