“Not worth the money”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 4 June 2008

The stay started with a quick check in and very helpful valet and bell staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was quite cramped. The beds were not overly comfortable and they do not offer two queens or kings only doubles. I have to say that the front desk, bell, valet and housekeeping were polite and did an excellent job and made my family feel at home. I did not like the fact that I had to pay to workout. The playground that sounds so exciting and state of the art on the brochure, is at the back of the hotel across the parking lot and compared to a burger king playground, a lot smaller. The pool was crowded and it was hard to find a spot to sit. Service at the pool was horrible, another guest had ordered a drink next to me and when she brought it back to him I asked to order a drink for the wife and myself, and she said this was not her normal section but she would get my waitress. I waited for 20 minutes, finally stopping the towel boy who went to look for the waitress. The original waitress came back to have the guest next to me sign his ticket and then asked him if he would like another drink. He said yes and she took his order again, I asked again and she would still not serve me. Needless to say I became irritated at this and made it clear that I was not happy. She then went and found my waitress and my order was placed. The time that transpired was aproximately forty five minute, for one crappy Mojito, one crappy pina colada for the wife and two virgin coladas for the kids. The hotel staff seemed more concerned catering to certain guests than all the guests. I would not stay here again. I would have been better off at La Quinta, at least there you know what you are getting.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Jordan20
Write a ReviewReviews (2,517)

Reviewed 13 May 2008

I live in Houston and don't consider Galveston to be one of my travel destinations, but since the weather has been nice and time is a factor, my daughter and I decided to take a quick weekend trip to Galveston. I booked a nice ocean view room and overall was very satisfied with the hotel and atmosphere. My only complaint would be the type of music being played at the pool and the loudness of the music. The music in an XM station- Flight 26 which my 17 y/o daughter enjoyed- but I found it difficult to relax with the blaring music in the background. I would have enjoyed the time at the pool more had the music been lower, and had there been something more smooth- at least for some of the time. The other issue with the music, which I had read on another trip advisor's review- the music starts at 9AM- and it is quite loud and overall obnoxious. I was hoping to get some quiet time at the pool before the music was turned on- however, that was not to be. Maybe I'm just getting old- who knows.... I just like to be at the beach /pool and enjoy the tranquility of the moment.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Pulchritude
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I stayed at the San Luis Resort in Galveston TX., and I just have to say my family and I had a fabulous time, the child care services available at the San Luis are superb, the Rain Forest Cafe next door is very entertaining and we found ABC Baby Gear Rental this was a incredible service that delivers to the Hotel. We were able to rent a little tikes wagon, high chair and beach umberlla with chairs.The weekly rate on what we rented was to good to be true.. We just loved walking on the Seawall with the wagon and it was great to use for taking everything to the beach. The Hotel also has a wonderful spas for children and adults -each there own. They live up to every expectation they claim..

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Stayed in the Condominiums March 08. Unit clean, well seviced, modern and comfortable. Presumably previous reviews related to non renovated units.Ok Galveston is not Waikiki but still has a great resort beach/island feeling; especially if youve been in Houston too long.

A highlight should be the pool which would be nice except for the clouds of smoke wafting over the whole area from the swim up bar area in one corner- believe it or not they allow people to sit and smoke cigarettes and cigars in the pool. Room information states this is prohibited and against Galveston City ordinances; but security includng an officer who patrolled the pool area all Easter Sunday did nothing and spent a lot of time chewing the fat with these people. The same applied next day (absent security) and the barman happily supplied these people with ashtrays - although a lot of ash went in the pool anyway.

By comparison on the Monday after a swim I took my kids to play on the beach. On the way we stopped to play on the grass slope leading down to the beach. Within minutes of setting foot on the grass a security vehicle turned up and blasted over the loud speaker that it was not allowed and get to get off.

So there you go- the San Luis is happy to ignore what they say are city ordinances and have you and your children suffer the health consequences and unpleasantness of second health smoke when in the pool; but walk on their grass and you are in big trouble.

Recomend this place - yes - otherwise than as set out above
By the way they say it is a family friendly environment..

Will I consisider complaint to Galveston and other authorities about fthis situation or sake of others - yes - thinking about it.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank BartonTerrace
Reviewed 2 March 2008

This is an overpriced hotel and a major money grabber. You can't even take a bottle of water down to the pool area---you are expected to buy everything from the hotel. They have security walk around "busting" people who even tried to sit poolside with their "own" drinks. You can't even sit at a poolside umbrella table unless you are going to buy food/drink from the bar. Want to lounge on a comfortable chaise poolside? You have rent a 10x10 cabana for $300/day! It's ridiculous to be treated this way considering the overpriced rate for a mediocre room. The bathroom was tiny and the closet was tinier. The decor was substandard for such an "upscale" hotel. The noise level on the 7th floor was awful. We were woken up at 2 a.m. by noisy neighbors through thin walls. The only plus was a very nice pool area with heated pools, great heated grotto area and a nice hot tub. But we won't go back. If it makes you feel special to be grubbed for your money, by all means this is the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Weekenders02
Reviewed 20 February 2008

The hotel is very nice and rooms are clean. The pool area is great and has a water slide for kids and a swim up bar for adults (don't forget to bring your ID) All rooms are ocean front, and that is why I loved it so much. The beach is across the road, but there is a crosswalk. Galveston beaches are rather grey and not what I had hoped for. I prefer the white sand beaches. The Rainforest Cafe is next door and has volcano eruptions nightly! We did use the spa in the hotel and the experience could have been better. The older more experienced staff that I had was very good. My daughter had a young person who was not up to standard for the prices we paid. She had to have her nails done over by another staff member. In all, I would stay there again, but would forego the spa.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle J
Reviewed 12 February 2008

Very good hotel, easier to park on the back unless you want to pay for valet parking. The rooms are good but they could use a modern decor and LCD TV for a start...
Very nice views from 12th floor, choose ocean view!
Quite pricey but perhaps worth it if you are in Galveston. Excellent food at the Fish Tales but prepare to wait!

• Stayed: February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)