“Great Stay!”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 5 July 2008

July 1-4th, 2008. We just returned from the San Luis and loved it! The hotel is beautiful and has everything you would ever need from a luxury hotel. The ONLY issue we had with the hotel was the pool. We have a pool at home, so maybe I'm a little obsessed, but it needed to be skimmed so bad. There were black hairs, dirt, and things floating around, I would literally have to swish the water away from me to get around it. My husband and I were up early watching them clean around the pool every morning from the balcony - they would literally spend 2-3 hours washing and brushing the ground around the pool, and then a pool guy would come by for 10 minutes and wash the bottom of the pool - no skimming or getting those hairs and junk out. We went down one morning on the way to the beach to look - and it was really yuckie. The pool area is beautiful - loved the swim up bar, but if they would spend a little more time keeping it clean, it would have been a perfect stay! The beach directly across from the hotel was nice. We rented an umbrella with 2 chairs everyday for $23.00 for the whole day - definitely worth the $. Overally, we had a great time, just kinda grossed out a little from the pool!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank lizabeth985
There are newer reviews for The San Luis Resort

Reviewed 29 June 2008

Our stay at the San Luis started out really great. The staff was very friendly. The staff at the pool was really good and a lot of fun (a little slow though). The Steakhouse was really tasty, but share portions as they are large. The first day and night of our stay was very relaxing and stayed ont he property the entire time. We hung out at the pool, then ate at The Steakhouse, then went to the poolside bar that evening. The second day the owner flew in on his helicopter spraying the pool patrones with dust. Apparently he is very strict because the staff was running around like nervous little ants. The tables are reserved for people eating and drinking by the pool. One mom was sitting at a table with shade with her very small child asleep on her shoulder and was asked to move because she was not eating. As a mom myself, I found that offensive for a "family friendly resort". Anyway, it was a much more fun experience when the staff wasn't so uptight. Also, I probably would not go with my children. There were people practically mounting each other in the pool and making out. Didn't bother me, but would not want my kids there for that. The pool water seemed very dirty on the second day of our stay as well. The manager of the poolside bar was very nice and did say they would shock the pool that evening and get it cleaned up.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank leahcraw
Reviewed 25 June 2008

This is probably the most expensive hotel in Galveston, but it is far nicer than anywhere in town. From the minute you arrive you are treated with respect by all the staff. They are warm, gracious and highly professional.
The bar and pool area are so lovely, you could imagine your are in Cabo. There are always plenty of clean towels, chairs and private cabanas. They have a fabulous spa as well.
The beach is across the street. Rainforest Cafe is also next door. There are activities for children on site as well.
The meal we had at the Steak House was delicious.
I cannot say enough about the wonderful weekend we had at the San Luis.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jsk
Reviewed 4 June 2008

The stay started with a quick check in and very helpful valet and bell staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was quite cramped. The beds were not overly comfortable and they do not offer two queens or kings only doubles. I have to say that the front desk, bell, valet and housekeeping were polite and did an excellent job and made my family feel at home. I did not like the fact that I had to pay to workout. The playground that sounds so exciting and state of the art on the brochure, is at the back of the hotel across the parking lot and compared to a burger king playground, a lot smaller. The pool was crowded and it was hard to find a spot to sit. Service at the pool was horrible, another guest had ordered a drink next to me and when she brought it back to him I asked to order a drink for the wife and myself, and she said this was not her normal section but she would get my waitress. I waited for 20 minutes, finally stopping the towel boy who went to look for the waitress. The original waitress came back to have the guest next to me sign his ticket and then asked him if he would like another drink. He said yes and she took his order again, I asked again and she would still not serve me. Needless to say I became irritated at this and made it clear that I was not happy. She then went and found my waitress and my order was placed. The time that transpired was aproximately forty five minute, for one crappy Mojito, one crappy pina colada for the wife and two virgin coladas for the kids. The hotel staff seemed more concerned catering to certain guests than all the guests. I would not stay here again. I would have been better off at La Quinta, at least there you know what you are getting.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Jordan20
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I live in Houston and don't consider Galveston to be one of my travel destinations, but since the weather has been nice and time is a factor, my daughter and I decided to take a quick weekend trip to Galveston. I booked a nice ocean view room and overall was very satisfied with the hotel and atmosphere. My only complaint would be the type of music being played at the pool and the loudness of the music. The music in an XM station- Flight 26 which my 17 y/o daughter enjoyed- but I found it difficult to relax with the blaring music in the background. I would have enjoyed the time at the pool more had the music been lower, and had there been something more smooth- at least for some of the time. The other issue with the music, which I had read on another trip advisor's review- the music starts at 9AM- and it is quite loud and overall obnoxious. I was hoping to get some quiet time at the pool before the music was turned on- however, that was not to be. Maybe I'm just getting old- who knows.... I just like to be at the beach /pool and enjoy the tranquility of the moment.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Pulchritude
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I stayed at the San Luis Resort in Galveston TX., and I just have to say my family and I had a fabulous time, the child care services available at the San Luis are superb, the Rain Forest Cafe next door is very entertaining and we found ABC Baby Gear Rental this was a incredible service that delivers to the Hotel. We were able to rent a little tikes wagon, high chair and beach umberlla with chairs.The weekly rate on what we rented was to good to be true.. We just loved walking on the Seawall with the wagon and it was great to use for taking everything to the beach. The Hotel also has a wonderful spas for children and adults -each there own. They live up to every expectation they claim..

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Stayed in the Condominiums March 08. Unit clean, well seviced, modern and comfortable. Presumably previous reviews related to non renovated units.Ok Galveston is not Waikiki but still has a great resort beach/island feeling; especially if youve been in Houston too long.

A highlight should be the pool which would be nice except for the clouds of smoke wafting over the whole area from the swim up bar area in one corner- believe it or not they allow people to sit and smoke cigarettes and cigars in the pool. Room information states this is prohibited and against Galveston City ordinances; but security includng an officer who patrolled the pool area all Easter Sunday did nothing and spent a lot of time chewing the fat with these people. The same applied next day (absent security) and the barman happily supplied these people with ashtrays - although a lot of ash went in the pool anyway.

By comparison on the Monday after a swim I took my kids to play on the beach. On the way we stopped to play on the grass slope leading down to the beach. Within minutes of setting foot on the grass a security vehicle turned up and blasted over the loud speaker that it was not allowed and get to get off.

So there you go- the San Luis is happy to ignore what they say are city ordinances and have you and your children suffer the health consequences and unpleasantness of second health smoke when in the pool; but walk on their grass and you are in big trouble.

Recomend this place - yes - otherwise than as set out above
By the way they say it is a family friendly environment..

Will I consisider complaint to Galveston and other authorities about fthis situation or sake of others - yes - thinking about it.

Stayed: March 2008