“One Of Galveston's Top Hotels”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Paris, France
“One Of Galveston's Top Hotels”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Excellent location. All rooms have ocean view and balcony. Rooms are up to date and well maintained. Very good and friendly service. Plenty of restaurants available
inside the hotel as well as within walking distance of hotel. Good beach across
the street from hotel. Very niece swimming pool. Excellent Sunday brunch.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view, also the higher the price.
2 Thank desfwillis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Buda, Texas
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights for a business conference. The pool and pool area is very nice, lots of staff to keep it looking clean and giving great service. We spent of couple of hours at the pool and had some drinks. My room was very nice on the 5th floor, ocean view and nicely updated. I used the workout room twice, standard equipment but it was just a bit small. I also had a pedicure at the spa. Very nice spa area and good service. The lobby areas and conference center were also very nice. I would definitely return for business or on a family or adult trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sherrikt
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I enjoy getting away from Houston with and without our children. The staff, especially Philett Carter and Tommy Hendricks, are a joy to see everytime we come. They are so attentive to our every needs. We love the pool, the restaurants and the attention to detail at the resort. We also enjoy the piano bar on the weekends. The location is great as the beach is across the street and there are many good restaurants to select within walking distance. We also enjoy the continental breakfast on our floor in the morning and our children have to be limited to the sweet snacks during the day. We look forward to many more pleasant experiences at the San Luis.

1 Thank Angela C
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I spent two nights at San Luis as part of a Fred Astaire dance competition held at the resort. I had low expectations because most beach front resorts are often "hard used". However, I was happily surprised at the quality of this resort. Much better than I expected.

Pluses:
o Friendly, courteous, helpful staff. Nearly all staff members greeted me with a smile and "How's it going?" even when they were just passing by in the halls and elevator. I felt welcome at the resort -- as though everyone were glad I was staying there.
o I arrived late morning and did not expect to find my room available. I was surprised when it was ready. And check-in (and later check-out) went very quickly.
o Room was good size and clean. Seventh floor view of beach and pool was great. The room was near elevators but didn't notice any exceptional noise.
o Ballroom was well set up for competition and for masquerade ball in Saturday night.
o Landry's Seafood for lunch or dinner and IHOP for breakfast are nearby. The in-hotel restaurants looked very nice, but I didn't visit them during my stay.

Deltas
o Air conditioning in room needed to be turned quite cold in order to take humidity out of the room. Temp was set at 74F when I arrived and the room felt damp and warm. I turned it down to 69F and it felt fine after that. (I like a cold room.)
o Had to wait a bit for elevator at the most busy times, but generally very short wait times.
o Ceiling above shower/tub could use a new coat of paint.

For a Galveston beach get-away, we'll consider San Luis for our next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vashpapa
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Visually, the San Luis Resort is the crown jewel of lodging options on Galveston’s Seawall. The property is well manicured and provides a resort atmosphere. Having booked a very pricey Club 10 Room, expectations for exceptional service was not only anticipated but required.

Upon arrival and throughout my visit, the valet parking staff was prompt, extremely professional and handled my vehicle with care. Check in was quick and efficient. Surprisingly, my guest and I were greeted with flutes of Champaign, escorted to our room and provided with a bottle of Champaign. This set the tone for a weekend of luxury and opulence; so I thought. The illusion of grander started to unravel as such:

- Friday night: Evening turndown service did not take place as promised.

- Saturday: (1) We left the room at 8:30 am and returned at 2 pm and the room had not been serviced by housekeeping. The housekeeping manager was notified and someone was immediately sent to remedy the problem. Upon our return, the bed had been made and the towels were replenished. The dirty Champaign flutes from the previous day were still in the room; the trash wasn’t emptied; robes were left on the chair and the furniture was dusty. (2) While the room was been cleaned or NOT, we went to the H2O Bar for drinks. After waiting 20 minutes without being greeted, I immediately found a manager and apprised him of the problem. He apologized that Courtney was not attentive to her section and immediately took our drink order. After about 15 minutes Courtney unenthusiastically brought the drinks. Approximately 20 minutes later we wanted to order another drink but Courtney didn’t bother to return. We managed to find the manager once again to ensure that the drinks were complimentary for the bad experience. He agreed and mentioned that Courtney was told to convey the message but she didn’t.

Based on poor and underwhelming service we decided by Saturday night to never return to the San Luis. This was all conveyed to the night supervisor, Byron who had a small fruit and cheese tray, and a cheap bottle of Champaign delivered as a constellation. Not acceptable!!!! In addition, please note that the walls are very thin and the doors to all Club 10 rooms are very heavy as such one can hear slamming doors all day and night.

Two missed opportunities: (1) my sister asked me to evaluate the San Luis as she was considering having her wedding reception there. Needless to say, it’s not happening due to the substandard service received during my visit. This means that the reception, party of 400, will take place elsewhere. (2) Customer retention – as I will not be a repeat customer.

7 Thank Kirk N
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The location couldn't be better...right across the street from the beach, especially at a time when the City of Galveston is charging you to park, if you can find a space. But for the price, our corner suite was not a suite at all. It was a larger than usual room. And it's getting old. The a/c leaked water on the floor when we turned the air down. The owner (hearing this from employees in several of his restaurants) is known for cutting corners to make a fast buck.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CentauraHouston
frankfort, illinois
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The staff is excellent. Very attentive and really gave us top notch customer service. We loved the pool bar, the Italian restaurant and the breakfast restaurant. The resort is beautiful!

Now the bad. The condo we booked needs a serious deep cleaning. We booked 1533/1532. It is a 2 bedroom condo with two balconies. The safe didn't work, the window treatments had holes in it, the vents for air had black mold growing out of it, there was leftover food that wasn't ours in the fridge, springs popped out of the sofa bed, and I could go on and on. The décor was Victorian themed but there was just too much furniture in unit and the art work was different for sure. I did like some of the art, but some was just not my taste at all.

I would stay here again -- but certainly not in this unit until I was guaranteed it has been deep, deep cleaned and the mold has been removed.

Room Tip: Ask to see pics of the room. Request high floor with gulf front view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends