“Absolutely top shelf!”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Galveston, Indiana
“Absolutely top shelf!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hotel was absolutely top notch. The staff were all amazing. Stephanie, in the lounge was incredible. From one day to the next, she remembered our names, our drinks, our room numbers! It was busy, there were lots of other guests in there, but she made each of us feel like the most important person there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kris P
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thanks for letting us know about your great experience with Stephanie. We'll certainly pass along the praise. Come see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
Kinder
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We checked in expecting speedy service and glasses of champagne as advertised. We waited thirty minutes to check in. We received no champagne glasses and the champagne in our room was not iced. We had to get five sets of room keys before we actually got a set that worked both the elevator and our room. There seemed to be no attempt from conceierge or the front desk to help us and needed to get house keeping to help us get to our room. Overall the hotel is nice but completely undeserving of a four star rating. I have been to several four and five star rated hotels in the past and always first class. This is by far and away the worst first class service I have ever received.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Etw1
We apologize for the experience you had when staying with us and would like the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. If you'll email ehimes@ldry.com with the name your reservation was under, the dates of your stay and a phone number we will give you a call.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was an anniversary of sorts for us...it marked the twentieth time of staying at The San Luis Resort. We had a fantastic time as usual and I can not understand why in the World this resort isn’t in at least the top three in the Trip Advisor Galveston Hotels?! It just make no sense to me at all..we always have a amazing time when we visit and this time was no exception.
I could go on and on about beautiful the hotels, how the grounds are always imbecility maintained, how the pool is truly a resort pool, the incredible view of the Gulf from the rooms, the free continental breakfast etc etc however all of these things are useless unless the hotel staff is on top of their game. So this review is dedicated to a few San Luis employees that went over and beyond on our stay.
Quinn Bussey...Quinn is the Director of Guest Services and I’m not exactly what that title encompasses within the “hotel world” but it must be a fancy way of saying Rock Star. I’m telling you this young man does everything and does it well and perfectly every time! He had us completely set up and prechecked in a VIP room on the 15th floor incuding an early check in so we didn’t miss the Seawall Parade. In fact we were still in our room when the parade began and he gave us a quick courtesy call reminding us to come down. As we spent our weekend at the hotel we would see Quinn everywhere and doing what he does. He often make his way over to our area to see if we needed anything and to let us know that he is there to make our stay memorable. Hes an awesome guy and certainly hope the Landry's big wigs appreciate what they have here with this fella.
Tommy Hendricks...Tommy is the concierge for the resort. Tommy's desk is just off of the check in area and he is always the first to greet us as we enter the hotel and its always a pleasure seeing him. Tommy has a suave debonaire way, hes fun, personable, a great smile and outstanding knowledge of the Island and what it has to offer.
Simon Randolph...another rock star at the resort. Simon is Food and Beverage Director. One of the fantastic amenities the San Luis offers are the pool side cabana’s. We always hire one for the weekend when we stay. It just took one call to Simon and Cabana #1 (our personal favorite) was made ready and equipped with a cooler full of bottled water, fresh fruit, chilled of course, the flat screen on a great movie along with plenty of clean towels. Upon this visit Simon even added a bottle of chilled champagne as a gift for my wife as he remembers her love of the bubbly! He made a few stops at our cabana threw out the day to make sure everything was taken care of. The only issue was all the sea fog that rolled in...and I honestly believe if Simon could have made it go away he would have! LOL. He is another great asset to the Landry's organization.
Josh...Josh was our cabana attendant His job is to make sure fresh towels are there, trash removed and basically just making sure that all the needs are met for the cabana users. I noticed that Josh moved stealthy while bringing new towels and straighten up inside the cabana. He must have OCD (like me) because everything was done perfectly and lined up meticulously. I had taken my shirt off to jump in the heated pool and he removed it to a hanger and out of the way. I did get the pleasure of speaking with Josh and I have to tell you he is a personable, intelligent, polished young man well beyond his life of 18 years. Plus hes a baseball fan!
Lanae...waitress extraordinaire. We had Lanae last time we were on holiday at The San Luis and we requested her this time as well. She has a wonderful personality and is not only funny but quite the charmer as well. She was attentive without overdoing it and impeding on your chill time. If you stay...do yourself a favor and request this lil fireball!
Jon Paul....John Paul is the manager at both The Steakhouse AND the newly opened Grotto. Although we did not dine in on this trip Jon Paul made his way to say hello and to speak with us. I really appreciate that as I know he is busy running both fantastic restaurants. He did orchestrate having a wonderful pizza from Grotto delivered to our cabana. I have to tell you, that pizza could have been one of the best I have ever eaten!
A couple of others I would like to mention even though we only briefly encountered them. Tashawna (I hope I spelled that correctly) at the front desk. She was pleasant and smiling and just seemed generally happy to be there. Also Rafael was the bartender at the H2O Pool Bar and actually came from around the bar twice to check on us and say hello at our cabana. Amanda was at the pool and seemed like a supervisor of sorts. I think she smiled and checked on us no less that 2000 times!
Over all another fantastic time at our favorite resort...cant wait for the next twenty visits! Great staff!

Room Tip: Top floors rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Montecore1
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We really appreciate your review of your most recent stay! We've shared your comments with our team and passed along all of your kudos! We can't wait to see you on your 21st visit!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On Friday, February 14, 2014 I received a call from my sister stating
that because of some medical issues, my mother would not be able to
accompany her to the cheerleading competition in Galveston with my
niece and nephew. I informed her that I would gladly make the trip
but I couldn't get off from work until six which would put us checking
in close to eleven or twelve (depending on traffic) since we were
driving from Dallas. At this point my sister contacted the Holiday
Inn Resort (Galveston- Seawall) which is were she had made the hotel
reservation back in December 2013. She spoke with Crystal and
explained to her our late arrival and Crystal informed her that this
would not be a problem and that the room was still reserved and would
be available for us whenever we arrived.

At 11:40pm we arrived at the Holiday Inn Resort ready to relax after a
long drive. When we provided the desk clerk with our name and
confirmation information he stated that the only thing he had
available was a room with "one" queen bed. We were shocked because
the reservation was for two queen beds to accommodate two adults and
two children. We asked the clerk what happened to the reservation and
he said he was not certain but that they had simply 'oversold' and
that this was the only room left. Needless to say we were not pleased
with this information. The desk clerk then stated that he could
provide an air mattress for the room which I refused because it was
not what we had reserved back in December. I asked to speak with a
manager and the desk clerk told me that the manager had just left
about thirty minutes prior. Sensing my pending outburst, the desk
clerk then stated that he could try to contact the hotel next door to
see if there was anything available. After speaking with Reid at the
San Luis Resort (Galveston-Seawall) next door, the clerk informed us
that they did have a room available to accommodate us and that it
would be an upgrade from our original reservation but at the same cost
and all we needed to do was go next door and check in. I must admit I
was somewhat skeptical about that so when we drove up to the valet at
the San Luis Resort I explained to the valet attendant that I did not
want to pay to valet park until I had spoken with this 'Reid' person
who supposedly had us a room available. The valet attendant
immediately called the front desk and gave them our name and within
seconds told me that yes we did have a room available and all we
needed to do was park and go check-in.

We entered the lobby and were blown away by the appearance of the
hotel which made me doubt even more that we would have a room
available at San Luis with the same cost as the Holiday Inn Resort.
When we approached the desk Tonya greeted us and asked how she could
be of assistance. We asked for Reid and she said she would get him,
but asked if she could help. When we started explaining the story she
immediately knew who we were and replied that she already had our room
number and everything! We were shocked. After issuing our room keys
Tonya went and got Reid who came out and greeted us with the most
pleasant attitude and smile. He even went back to the office and came
back with roses for us!!! We were beyond impressed! When we got to
our room (1209) we were amazed at the beauty and cleanliness of the
room.....and the view was simply breathtaking! We collapsed that
night and slept peacefully!

The following morning we noticed that the TV was not working and the
door key wasn't either so we assumed that the check-out was set for
Saturday instead of Sunday. I went down to the desk and spoke with
the clerk (I didn't get his name), but he too was very kind and
immediately said it was not a problem, he would reactivate everything
and extend our stay until Sunday. Amazing! While in the lobby area
I witnessed the San Luis staff greeting customers and even one staff
member who noticed a group of young children so she begin handing out
candy and went and retrieved a red wagon full of toys for the kids to
select from! That was amazing! Simply awesome customer service!

On Sunday morning we received our bill under the door and noticed that
the rate was greater for our second night stay; approximately two
hundred dollars more. We went down to the desk and began explaining
our issue with the Holiday Inn and I must admit, I thought there was
going to be resistance in getting our original rate as we had been
promised, but the clerk simply said, "Oh, I see it, that's not a
problem, let me just make that adjustment." Amazing!!!! While she
was making the adjustment Reid came from the back and immediately
recognized us and came over to greet us. He noticed our bill and
quickly said that it was an error and told the clerk that she would
need to change it which we told him that she was already on top of it!

My sister and I both work in public service areas; she is a paralegal
and I am a librarian. With that being said we have over fifty years
of customer service experience combined so it is easy for us to
identify poor customer service and quality customer service. The
customer service of the staff at the San Luis Resort -Galveston
(Seawall) surpasses any quality customer service experience we have
witnessed! Reid and Tonya could have easily been nice to us to ease
the chaos from our Holiday Inn experience, but it wasn't just Reid and
Tonya. Every staff member we came in contact with, from all of the
desk clerks, maid service, valet attendants, and bell hops.....every
single staff member had a smile, a pleasant greeting, and displayed
exceptional customer service.

What started out as a horrible experience turned into a great vacation
and we would like to thank all of the staff at the San Luis Resort but
we would like to give special thanks to Reid House and Tonya Smith!
Great job guys!!!!! We will definitely be back!

Karen Levingston & Tracy Washington (Room 1209)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy W
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Reid and Tonya are both assets to our team and we are pleased they were able to assist with your stay. We hope you enjoyed our dining outlets and pool and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel has great view of the Gulf of Mexico and a great location for many things in Galveston. The rooms are just average. Had a pretty nice stay, the only thing I had a problem with was the AC took forever to cool down and then by the time it had a cold front had come thru and my room was freezing and it took it over 5 hours to warm up from 68 to 72. I thought this was a very long time. It was either too hot or too cold in my room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for sharing your feedback. If you experience air conditioning issues in the future, please give us a call and we'll be glad to assist.
Dhahran
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Across the street is the beach/Gulf of Mexico...Great room with a private balcony on the 8th floor. A bit noisy at night and be careful to park behind the hotel to check in or a mandatory $18 night valet parking. Valet parked & thought it would be $8 because I retrieved the car an hour later to dine out during the day.

Room Tip: Ditch the private balcony due to stairs or elevator noises on the ends.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback. We offer all guests complimentary self parking; valet parking is also available for a daily fee with unlimited in- and out- privileges. And each of our guest room has a balcony overlooking the Gulf
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised that the hotel not only has a beautiful pool, but great pool service. The hotel itself has several excellent restaurants on site. The rooms are big and very clean. We really enjoyed our stay and will stay there every time we visit!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Stacy B
Thanks for your review- we'll see you soon!