“Great getaway!”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
League City, Texas
“Great getaway!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have stayed here before and it has always been a nice weekend getaway for us. This trip however we were here for 3 nights and really felt like service in every area of the property was top notch. Staff in every area went out of their way to be helpful and kind. The only problem encountered this trip was at the pool. A manager treated us like criminals because we didn't have a towel card...which by the way we were never given upon check in, and when we asked at the pool were told we didn't need them because we had wristbands. None of this would have been a problem except we felt like he wanted to make an example of us in front of quite a few people...it was NOT what he was asking it was HOW we were treated. Had to mention this because our entire experience here was FANTASTIC! Other reviewers seemed way over the top picky. We have stayed here a number of times and have never had the experiences that other reviewers have had. Rooms are just basic rooms but ALL have great view of the Gulf.

Room Tip: Higher the room better the view. Pay no attention to previous reviews. Rooms are pretty much basic...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoy staying at our resort. We apologize about your pool towel experience. It is our goal to provide both a quality product and memorable service to every guest. We greatly appreciate your patronage of the San Luis Resort and we hope you can make a return visit to the resort very soon!

Steve Kalbaugh, Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was unimpressed with the snobby attitude in what was a less than stellar hotel. The room was ok except for the burnt out light bulbs and something sticky on the desk. The pool is somewhat small and don't expect to have local friends or family be allowed to enjoy it with you. ( you need a wristband and this restrictive policy is not given to you before getting to the hotel.) The price is high for what you get. Plenty of other hotels with the same view for a lot less money and attitude.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CCW60
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us. It is our resort team's goal to provide five-diamond service to each guest. Please contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I booked an Executive Suite (RM# 1609) at the San Luis Resort Hotel in Galveston, Texas on April, 10, 2014; we checked in around noon. We were excited in celebrating our anniversary. What should have been an excellent getaway was a horrible nightmare. We found what appeared to be moldy stains on the sheets and the coverlet blanket was dirty with what looked like blood stains. I called the front desk and they sent housekeeping. While the housekeeper was changing out the linens, the front desk called to ask if housekeeping came. At the same time, I discovered a receipt on the table belonging to a prior guest. I had enough and decided not to stay for the night. I snapped pictures for proof of the unclean room. We checked out that same day because the room was filthy and unclean. I could not tolerate staying in this hotel from what I observed. During check out, the evening manager/supervisor name Twanna Smith was very rude and was upset about my complaints. I showed her the pictures of the room before leaving the hotel. Ms. Smith never apologized for the inconveniences this caused us. She promised me a call the next day. Well, she did not call. The hotel still charged us for this room. I should not be charged for not staying the night and poor services. This Hotel will not last much longer with such horrible customer service. The exterior of the hotel is awe-inspiring, but the dirty linens and horrible customer services must go. Corporate needs to improve training on customer service if they want to continue to have good business. No one should be treated like this. We desire a refund, an apology for the unclean room and ruining our anniversary. Ms. Twanna Smith should be discipline for her behavior.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank tiffany f
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Our resort is a four-diamond resort that prides itself on both its quality of product and service. Our resort team's goal is to provide five-diamond service to every guest, everytime. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your stay with us.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We planned a wedding for 75 people with most of our guest coming from out of town. We had a rooming list that was given 2 months prior to check in with detailed information and went over it the day before the general check in to make double sure no problems would arise, but that did not happen. From my 83 year mother that did not have a handicapped room to start but was given one only problem the key did not work and she had to walk all the way back to get another on also her shower leaked all over the place. Several guest were walked in on by strangers, they were given the wrong keys or were double booked in the same room, people were charged valet parking who don't even drive and never had a car, toilets that had to fixed 3 times to get them to work properly, a/c that did not work which instead of changing the room right away (the guest had a medical condition) they tried to fix it but did not and had to move them 3 hours later , quite inconvenient for them as they were tired from flying in from Russia!! One guest was told there was no room for him (he arrived late but I personally guaranteed his room and paid for it) he had to call me at 1 in the morning the day before my sons wedding to get it taken care of. the attitude at the front desk overall was confused ., unprofessional and rude. the security there is like being in a Nazi camp, they actually were in my sons ballroom with full police attire (no one told me that) and were hanging around the bar making my guest uncomfortable. They even approached me when I was having a major problem with the DJ (music for the mother son dance did not work) and got in my face and told me I better calm down !! the wedding planner told him she had it handled and he was doing nothing but escalating the problem. After hearing about many other people at the resort being arrested on bogus charges just because most of them are from out of town and can not do anything but pay the fine or stay in jail. some racket and btw most of those charges are for abusive language, loud language or scaring the hotel personnel
We spent overall 38,000 and most certainly did not get anywhere near the service a 4 star or even 2 star resort would give . I would never go back there again. Even the locals are getting nervous since the class action suit was filed by a prominent sports figure against the SL security for breaking his arm, Beware and be careful . .

Room Tip: keep on driving and find somewhere elses !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank cakebread96
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We are grateful your family selected The San Luis Hotel for your son’s wedding and appreciate your feedback. You have spoken with many members of our Management team and are sorry we are unable to come to an agreement with you. We do wish the bride and groom the best of luck and hope they will continue a new family tradition with us.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the San Luis last week in Galveston and were very happy with our entire experience. We had only been waiting to check in for about a minute when a manager came out and started checking us in on a different computer to speed up the process. Our room was nice, and the fact that they all face the ocean and have a balcony is great! The decor in the room itself was a little outdated, and the fan in the bathroom didn't work (room 924), but it was clean and seemed well taken care of otherwise. We visited 2 on site restaurants, as well as the pool/swim up bar and were impressed by all. The bartender at the pool bar made me some delicious virgin drinks as I'm pregnant and can't have the good stuff. The location is excellent, resort grounds are beautiful, and every staff member we dealt with was professional and friendly. My husband forgot some clothes in a dresser when checking out, and when we called asking about it, they were found and the staff arranged for them to be sent via FedEx to our home in Canada. I recommend the San Luis to anyone wanting a hassle-free experience in Galveston.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NatHas1985
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend the San Luis Resort to others. It is our team's goal to provide memorable five-diamond service to every guest. I am glad that our resort team delivered on that service to you. I am sorry that there were a couple of maintenance issues in your guestroom and we will ensure that it is corrected for the next guest. We thank you for your patronage of our resort and we hope that you can make a return visit very soon.

Austin
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had great stay at the San Luis during our three day visit to Galveston. The staff was very helpful and willing to bend over backwards to meet our needs from the front desk, to room service, to the valet parking staff.

Pos: great views of the gulf, spacious rooms, attentive and accommodating staff.

Cons: cost, lobby and restaurants kept way to cold during our stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Brian L
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Our resort does have beautifully appointed guestrooms with a balcony with a Gulf View. Our team also takes pride in providing exceptional service to every guest. We have outstanding amenities and are located near all of the island attractions. We thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Hollister, Missouri
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Me & my husband went here for our honeymoon & 1 year anniversary & stayed in the penthouse suite overlooking the beach! The few was amazing, service was great, we went to the pool & swim up bar at night & that was awesome also, breakfast was out of this world!! Rooms were so clean, highly recommend this place, plus the beach is walking distance!

Room Tip: penthouse suite facing the beach is amazing for sunrise & sunset beach pics
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so glad that you spent your honeymoon, one year anniversary and have made other visits to our resort. Our goal is to provide quality accommodations and exceptional service to every guest. Our resort does have wonderful Gulf Views and is located at the beach and to many island attractions such as the Pleasure Pier, Landry's Seafood and the Rainforest Café. We thank you for your business and we hope to see you again very soon!