“Our Stay for Spring Break”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
texas
“Our Stay for Spring Break”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

It a beautiful place to stay, but for the price I can not see people coming to outside bar and pool from OFF THE STREET. The POOL and Outside bar should be for the people staying at the hotle ONLY. The lanuage from the people, and being to crowded was bad. When you go there to have fun with your Grandkids or kids, you do not want to pay that BIG price to have people from off the street to be there too. You should do something about outsiders coming in. We may this there again if something is done SOON. Would I recommend this HOTEL AGAIN, not if something isn't done about the problem. There are other nice places in Galveston to stay and not so crowded.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Middletown, CT
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We had a very nice stay at the San Luis. I go to a business conference every February in Galvaston and usually stay at Moody Gardens. This time they were overbooked so we decided to book a room at the San Luis. Not knowing what to expect i must say we were very pleasantly suprised... the staff was exceptional.. check in was easy and we were moved to the 15th floor. Awesome view of the gulf very clean room and well appointed. Hotel and grounds are beautifull... pool and pool bar very nice. We had dinner in the hotel resturant and it was as good as any New York Steakhouse I have been to. Again we didnt expect this to be this good.. but we were so impressed we plan to go back for an extended stay...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RBROCK007
Houston,TX
Reviewed 10 February 2009

After having a baby 15 months ago, my wife and I decided we would have a night away from baby for the first time. We chose the San Luis for this special occasion. I reserved a room with a king-sized bed about 3 weeks in advance and had a confirmation email. The room was to cost about $240 for the night. Upon checking in, we were told we were being ‘upgraded’ to a hospitality suite. The suite was big, but was not a proper room. There was a giant conference table and two full-sized Murphy beds instead of a king-sized bed. This was not mentioned when we were checking in. We felt this was not an ‘upgrade’ at all and that we were told this to prevent us from complaining. We called the desk to change rooms and were told the manager needed to be consulted. After waiting about 20 minutes, we called the desk again and were told that no rooms were left to move to. I’m not sure how long we would have had to wait for a response. We complained about not getting what we reserved and they knocked the price down to $99 and gave us a free round of drinks at the bar. While I appreciated the price break, in my opinion this room was not even worth $99. Also, the money wasn’t the main concern. This was supposed to be a special occasion, and the hotel was a big letdown. Also, to have us sleep in a full-sized Murphy bed was ridiculous. This is supposed to be a fancy hotel. If I wanted to sleep in a bed like that I would still be in the efficiency apartment I rented in the early ‘90s. We have a king-sized bed at home, but paid $99 to sleep on a tiny Murphy bed! The icing on the cake came when we were leaving - the valet brought our car around and it was covered in bird poop. The valet wiped off some of it, but there was a lot left on my vehicle. All in all, this was one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve ever had. I hope they can improve their service so this doesn’t happen to others.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GurneyHalleck
paphos
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We returned to the best hotel in Galveston,we've visited the others.That's a measure of how bad the hotels in Galveston are.The good--They upgraded us and the hotel is quite smart and well presented.Josey Blume on reception looked after us extremely well.The room staff are O K and the feel is quite opulent.The bad--The road in front is noisy and the pool bar in front is VERY noisy till late but they only have single glazed windows which would make an enormous difference.They have "sic" upgraded the 10th floor with dark furnishings which they think makes it look upmarket but it actually looks dark and depressing.The really disappointing thing is that we put all this in a tripadvisor report last year and they either don't read them or more likely are too arrogant to listen.Pity their employees!
The really sad thing is that Galveston is great---eat at Saltgrass and Tortuga--on the front and very reasonable.If you go to Galveston please go here but kick their [--] over the negative aspects.

• Liked — Space and comfort
  • Disliked — Single glazed windows
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank retiredincyprus
La Mirada, CA
Reviewed 2 February 2009

It was a very nice 4 night stay. Reservations gave us the room they promised. The room over looked the beach with a beautiful view. I spent extra hoping for a conciere service (like offered by Hyatt or Marriott) continiental breakfast or afternoon snacks. The breakfast was the same each morning & fresh. The selection was kinda of sparse. It wouould have been nice to have different fruits like apples or bananas. We had to ask for plates the first day. There was no afternoon snack time.
The room was spacious, and bed was very restful. Restrooms were nice and TV was ok.
All rooms appear to face the beach. Restaurants were A-ok and its H2o bar was nice and warm with it's out door heaters. The pool was getting worked on (which starts after 8am) but the pool area looks like fun during the summer.
We were very pleased with the overall performance of the staff considering what they just went through ( Hurricane IKE). I went to a party there and their catering service food was good.
San Luis is considered a 4 star hotel and they appear to be achieivng that.

• Liked — The bed was restful
  • Disliked — I thought valet parking was pricey for this time of year, and the contential breakfast was sparse.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Jplopez31
Corinth, TX
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We hadn't been to Galveston since Ike, so we wanted to see how our favorite getaways fared (Surfside and Galveston). Found the San Luis Resort on Expedia for only $100/night, and booked it without hesitation because most of the other Seawall hotels were similarly priced. It was REALLY nice to us because we had been on a fishing trip in a cheap motel in Port Aransas. The lobby was beautifully decorated with dozens of Christmas trees.

The receptionist could use some customer service training. She just stared at me until I said something. "Hi, how can I help you?" would've been nice. LOL In her defense, I looked practically homeless in my ballcap and fishing clothes, which probably doesn't give the best first impression. She couldn't find my reservation, but I had only booked it the day before, and 10 minutes after she left the desk, she came back and said her boss had found it.

There are quite a few guests courtesy of FEMA. They gave off the impression like it was their home and we were unwelcome guests. One of them came up to me at the front desk and said, "You know it's expensive to stay here, right?" I did have an uneasy feeling with the people living there like I was being scoped out, but no one messed with our truck or our kayak trailer.

However, the room, the hot shower, and the big comfy bed made up for less-than-stellar check-in. The bathroom was roomy, and the shower was clean. The linens smelled great. We needed more coffee in the morning, which was promptly delivered to our door with extra condiments. I read reviews about the musty smell, which I didn't notice. We were on the 11th floor. Maybe I expect a musty smell from a beach-front hotel...if it was musty, I probably chalked it up to saltwater air, which is something I love! We checked out a tiny bit late, but no one was rushing us. The view from the balcony was great.

I would stay here again, no doubt, especially if I could get such a good rate. We have stayed in a few hotels on the Seawall over the last few years, and this is the nicest one.

• Liked — Nice big clean room with a view
  • Disliked — Check-in staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ambermac
Houston
Reviewed 16 December 2008

To begin.... I called the San Luis to make reservations for Saturday the 13th of December for an event that my husband and I were attending that was held at the San Luis. The reservation lady told me that they were booked for that night. So I called my friend and told her that the San Luis Hotel was booked for our event and we would need to stay somewhere eles. A little confused my friend call right behind me and the reservations lady told her Yes they had rooms available for that evening at a rate of $169.00 per night. So, then I called back to the reservations desk and the same lady told me that they had a two night min. and the cheapest room rate available was $ 339.00 per night. Which was completely bizarre...... But, I figured that it would be safer to stay the night rather that drive all the way home after an event. So, I went ahead and booked the two night stay even though I only needed one night which was Saturday. I explained to the lady on the phone that we wouldnt be checking in to the hotel on Friday but I would be willing to pay just so I could have a room on Saturday. She said that was fine and to be sure to call the day of check in to remind them of what was going on.
Saturday the 13th of December we arrive and they were OVERBOOKED. She told us that we could stay at another property the Hilton for a room rate of $169.00 per night.....Very dissapointed...It's very crazy that they make up rules and rates by the minute. Just depending on who answers the phone or what rates they want to charge at that particular moment.

Anyway, my friend stayed at the Sain Luis and she told me that the rooms smelt musty, and were very out-dated....She also said that they were woke up by FEMA kids- running through the hall in the morning. She said she was looking forward to sleeping in without her kidos waking her up at seven a.m. So much for wishful thinking........

Stayed December 2008