“Accommodations excellent - food service pathetic”

The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Accommodations excellent - food service pathetic”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our family was staying at the Tremont because it was one of 2 host hotels for a half marathon event. Upon arrival, we found the front desk to be helpful and efficient and we were in our very large, clean, and lovely room within minutes. We visited the bar area and had nice service in a lovely sitting area. Later that evening, I spoke with the front desk about breakfast service in the hotel as our son would be running the half marathon in the morning. I was assured that if I placed my order for room service by 6:30am, our food would be on it's way to our room by 6:45. To be on the safe side, I called and ordered our oatmeal and coffee at 6:20. By 6:50 it had not arrived so I called food services to confirm the order was on it's way up. I was assured that it was- liars! At 7:15 I went downstairs to the food services area to check on things- keep in mind I had ordered oatmeal and coffee. I quickly discovered why our order was not completed- the kitchen was fulfilling the orders of the people walking in off the street who had stopped by got breakfast before the half marathon. Despite my calling well ahead - still nothing. I told the kitchen area to bag up what was ready and I would take it up myself. At 7:25 I had oatmeal, milk and tea. I told the kitchen I was not planning to pay for the items as my son would have a good 5 minutes to get a little bite as his race was starting in 35 minutes. The front desk agreed not to charge us for the oatmeal, milk, and tea and offered the poor excuse that they were caught off- guard by the breakfast demands of the race they were co-hosting and how the foot traffic coming into the hotel came as a surprise. How about serving your register guests first, be honest with them about the progress of their order, and offer apologies instead of excuses. Our experience went from 5-star to 3-star based on this experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay during the race. Please know that this will be shared with the appropriate managers so this type of issue doesn't happen again. Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Tulsa
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Great service, beautiful hotel, comfortable room, convenient location. Parking available for cruise.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Thank you for the positive review on your stay at The Tremont House before your cruise. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Houston
Reviewed 24 December 2013

we enjoyed our stay at the tremont house. the rooms were nice and cozy and and we loved the ambiance

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at The Tremont House. Please stay with us again soon.