We have stayed at The Tremont for three years in a row for Dickens on the Strand, last year, we noticed the placard for Pearls and Prohibition theme for the 2014 Mardi Gras Ball. Since we love 20s, Gatsby, Boardwalk Empire, we decided we had to return to attend the ball.
There are two ways to attend the ball, either purchase tickets to the Ball for $200 per person, or purchase a weekend package which includes two night stay at the Tremont as well as as the Ball and a few extras. We opted to splurge and purchase the package, at $1078+ you may be wondering if this is worth the price.
Before Friday: a detailed email with instructions prior to the event explaining all the activities, where to check in since the street was closed.
Friday: Valets were prompt and got us unloaded and at the front desk quickly. We checked in,a packet was waiting with wrist bands and special Tremont beads.
Ate at the Tremont Cafe, get the mushroom flatbread with truffle oil, its to die for.
We changed clothes went downstairs and listed to the Dr. Michael White Jazz Quartet, absolutely fabulous band. Also, the bar wait staff were great, loved the fact they asked if we wanted our photos taken (we did). Checked frequently to see if we needed anything. Overall, excellent customer service from both, Tremont Cafe and the Toulouse Bar.
Room was comfortable and cozy, could hear the jazz from the atrium. Great way to go to sleep.
Saturday: Its ball time!
-Went downstairs and was pleasantly surprised to find a third party professional photographer taking photos. (fyi... our 4 pose photo package was $65 + tax and the results were stunning, worth the money).
- Caterers were busy mingling with guests with tasty hors d'oeuvres, caviar, chicken salad, salmon. Served with Prohibition Lemonade, not too sweet, not too strong, but juuustt right. Servers were very polite and very busy. Excellent service.
- Dinner. If I have one complaint, it would be about dinner. Not THE dinner, it was incredible, just finding out it was being served. We never heard or saw an announcement, just noticed the crowd had thinned, and some folks purposefully walking down a hallway. We followed, and discovered the dining room. Had expected a more formal announcement with a gong, sign, etc. Dinner...well... it was a feast. Steak au pouvre was delicious, as was the crab cake. I saw pounds of oysters, shrimp, etc. I only took what I could eat, and that was delicious and filling. Did not try the dessert bar, was too full from dinner. By the time the meal was done, there was the parade. Had a great time viewing the parade. Across the street to watch the Cherry Poppin Daddies, and they were wonderful. Warning... ball room is smallish, if you do not get there early, expect to stand during this part of the event. Breakfast buffet did not disappoint.
Sunday: Continental breakfast in the lobby.
Overall, great experience.
However, I understand from the staff, the theme of the Mardi Gras ball changes every year, so check their website to see if the theme is something you would be interested in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tremont House Hotel Galveston is situated in the heart of the Strand Historic District. The Tremont House Hotel Galveston is located near many attractions such as The Bishop's Palace and Texas Seaport Museum. Taxis and rental cars offer travelers easy access to Galveston points of interest as well as to the airport. All rooms feature hardwood floors, 32" flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi. Choose from queen or king size beds. Our Galveston hotel provides dinning options that are fresh, distinctive and delicious. On-site is the Tremont Café, which features Starbucks® coffee, pastries, a pizza oven, gourmet sandwiches, salads, soups and desserts. The Café serves breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as provide items for room service. Guests will find ample shopping and dining near the Tremont House Hotel Galveston. The hotel also offers a pool as well as access to the nearby Galveston Health and Racquet Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Tremont Hotel
- Wyndham Galveston
- Galveston Wyndham