“Beautiful and Comfortable”

The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Stayed here for three nights with my husband for a quick getaway before the Memorial Day week-end. We were upgraded to a two room suite since our room was not ready at check-in. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and we had a sitting room with big screen TV and refrigerator. The bathrooms are not huge but they are well done with marble floors and free standing towel rack. The hotel has a beautiful wooden bar and dining area. The lobby was refurbished after Hurricane Ike and has a black and white color scheme with marble and wood. There is a lovely rooftop bar that is great for watching the cruise ships leave. The hotel is a short walk to shops and restaurants on the harbor side of the historic district. Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank shereed

Reviewed 27 May 2010

For the uniqueness and hospitality, the $187 was not a bad price. The hotel takes up a city block and is four stories. The room my husband and I had over looked the North side of the island and we could see the cruise ships and cargo boats come and go. The atrium is spacious and has white marble tile. The valets are extremely welcoming and nice, and the desk clerks are also, but they are not well informed about the local sites. They did not even know if they had a Capital One in the city or not. But they were nice about it.
The rooms are big with tall ceilings. The parking was free, but the meters are back in effect starting June 1st, although after 5PM and until 8AM it will be free. You also get to enjoy the Hotel Galvez on the South side of the island when you stay here. They let you park in the parking garage which is across the street. The pool is big, they have a swim up bar, and a hot tub. The tiles are falling off the pool walls and there was only one girl doing all of the bar-tending, food service delivery, and mess clean up, so she was being overworked. Maybe on weekends they have more workers. The pina colada that I bought was $12, and it was not super big and did not have enough alcohol. Staying at the Tremont is a good idea, especially considering the price difference between the two.

Reviewed 26 May 2010

We booked our stay at the Tremont House online and upon check in, there were no issues. The instant we arrived, we were greeted by an entourage of valets willing to take our many bags up the stairs to the front desk. We had requested an exterior room on the top floor and they were able to accomodate us.

One of the valets also acted as a bellboy and brought us upstairs to our room and unloaded the luggage cart. He was very friendly and knowledgable about the Island.

The key to the room was awesome. It was not your standard hotel credit-card type key, but rather a key-looking key with the magnetic strip embedded inside. We've stayed at this hotel before pre-Ike, but we really enjoyed this room much more. We had a large-size king room with ample room for me to do my workout vids (yeah I did bring them on vacation!). It was done in a nice black and white motiff and the room was very clean - and was cleaned each day by the fabulous housekeeping staff.

Whenever we would take our car from the valet, they were always wanting to give us directions should we need them. That was very nice.

The bar staff at both the downstairs and the roof-top bar were very friendly.

The night before checkout, we inquired about what time check out would be (noon). However, they were able to accomodate a 2pm checkout for us free of charge (we checked out on a Monday, so they might not be able to accomodate this request during peak times). We were both sad to check out, but we know we will absolutely come back!

Now, for the few downsides:
-TOWELS ARE SCRATCHY!!! My question to them is why are the beds so soft and comfy, yet the towels feel like sandpaper? This was really the only real major complaint we had about the room itself.
-Toilet Paper is pretty standard "public bathroom" grade; but that's typical of a lot of hotels.
-They do pre-charge for incidentals, so be aware of that (but most upscale hotels will do this).
-We did notice that our ice bucket wasn't emptied one of the days our room was made up.
-There's valet parking only (was $17 a day flat). Some people park other places in the area, but their parking feels a little more secure for overnight- so that's sort of the trade-off. Plus, the valets were sweet.
-A few of the channels on the TV were missing (like Cartoon Network).

Other than that, in a nutshell here are the great things you can expect:
-EXCELLENT Service
-Great Location for the Strand District
-Lovely Decor all around (even after being flooded a few times throughout history)
-Historical charm with modern amenities
-FREE WIFI (They didn't have this last time we went!)
-They will entertain your requests if they are able to accomodate you (if you want a quiet stay, PLEASE choose exterior room- the interiors face the downstairs bar/lobby area).

1  Thank Rheavon
Reviewed 25 May 2010

My wife and I Spent 3 nights at the Tremont for our first Anniversary. The hotel is located in the strand with plenty of things to occupy your time. The rooms are smaller than most hotel room but the bathroom was more spacious. They are clean, with comfortable beds and climate controlled A/C. It is a historic hotel and the noises aren't completely blocked out, but if you spend your days doing alot of walking and enjoying what Galveston has to offer, you'll never know the difference. The staff was very friendly. The Valet guys were very helpful and seemed to really enjoy their job. We requested a king bed and when we arrived were put into a 2 bed room. They quickly brought us another key and placed us in another room with no hassle. The roof top bar was a nice relaxing place to enjoy the gulf breeze and have a drink in the late evening.

Reviewed 22 May 2010

After numerous stays at this hotel I had a bad experience and posted it here. The GM read it and contacted me which I appreciated. We tried again and the difference was amazing. Room was spacious and elegant. Service was impeccable. All the things I had noted in my bad review were rectified. It is nice when a hotelier takes the time to prove his/her brand is worth another try. I will book my next stays in Galveston at The Tremont House. Believe it or not management is paying attention .. sometimes!

2  Thank don b
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My boyfriend and I like to make a couple summer trips to Galveston. We usually book our hotel through priceline and so far we always ended up with hotels right across from the beach. When we found out that we got the Tremont, my boyfriend was a little disappointed. We were hoping for something on the beach or at least with a pool.

When we checked in at the Tremont, we thought it was really beautiful. We weren't too thrilled with the $15 to valet though. When we got up to our room, it was very luxurious, but we were upset that there wasn't a balcony or anything. My boyfriend was a bad sport at first and was trying to see if we could get our room changed over to the Galvez, but because we went through priceline, we couldn't. That's when I decided to make the best of the situation and fell in love with the hotel.

This is an upscale hotel and we felt kind of out of place because we were the only people walking in from the beach and was covered in sand with our big ice chests. But after we showered and put on our robes and sunk into our cloud-like bed, we knew that we got a good deal from priceline. We were anxious to check out the roof top bar but the bar was closed. We were still able to sit up on the roof and look out over the strand. The first night we stayed, we walked over to the Fisherman's Wharf for dinner. Their drinks were out of this world and the food was delicious. We came back to the hotel and hung out in the bar. The bartender was really nice and even indulged me when I was asking her questions about the hotel being haunted and whether or not she's ever experienced anything paranormal there.

The next morning, while my boyfriend slept in, I went downstairs to eat breakfast in the cafe. The crouisant was delicious and huge. Breakfast was a bit pricy but the food was worth it. After my boyfriend got out of bed, we took a tour of the strand and even had a historical carriage ride. It would have been nice if the carriage ride would have been available during the evening but it was really fun and I learned a lot of interesting history about the Strand.

Our second night at the Tremont, we decided to stay in and order room service. I really enjoyed my seafood salad and tomato basil soup. The next morning we checked out and I was really sad to leave. I'm really happy that we got to experience this beautiful hotel. The staff was friendly, the rooms were extremely comfortable, and the food was delicious. From now on, I would like to stay in this hotel when I come to Galveston for other reasons than just going to the beach.

1  Thank nicnacnikki
Reviewed 5 May 2010

The architecture and decor is something to see in & of itself, even if you're not staying here. The service is extraordinary. The rooms are rather small, but that's to be expected at an historic hotel. If you don't get a suite, then ask for a room on the 4th floor facing the street - they are a bit larger than the interior rooms. The rooftop bar is great on the weekend, but be prepared to dress nice or feel out of place. I don't know if it's always that way, or if it was just because there was a wedding while we were there. We ordered lots of room service - I can definitely recommend the breakfast panini & the potato salad is amazing. The breakfast quiche & the chicken salad left much to be desired. The cafe is not a true separate space - it's a component of the lobby area. Doormen & valets (they kind of do double-duty) are most helpful. Valet was $15/day, plus tips. Just an FYI - there are stairs from the street level to the lobby level, and I didn't see any way around them. I'm not certain how they accommodate wheelchair access, but hopefully they have that worked out. We enjoyed the privileges at the Galvez Hotel when we wanted to just hang out poolside & have a few drinks. If you want to use the spa at the Galvez or any other amenities there, you are welcome to do so as a guest of the Tremont (they're owned by the same company). Overall, great hotel. I would definitely stay here again. For late nights, check out Murphy's Irish Pub around the corner. If you're up past 11 PM and get the urge to eat, it's the only place you can get food in the neighborhood (open 'til 2 AM).

2  Thank lizalot