“Well...”

The Victorian Condominiums
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

The condos are well located. Not too close to pleasure pier but right across the street from the beach. It wasn't spotlessly clean. It did fit my entire family of 5 comfortably. Shower had good pressure but not the bathroom sink. We had enough towels and linens for all the beds. The pools are great. We a view of the ocean. .. and Wally world. I liked the layout of the room. Just wish it had been a little more updated.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank teamvf

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We usually stay at Casa Del Mar for a low price suite in Galveston. The kids have gotten too big for the bunk beds there, so we tried the Victorian. The suite was larger than the ones at Casa Del Mar. Our first room had a toilet that didnt fill right, the maintenance was there very quickly to fix it, but it malfunctioned again, they fixed it again, but still not right. So we requested they move us to a different room, which they did. We had requested a 3rd floor room because we don't like to hear people walking above us, but the room they had available to move us to was on the 1st floor. We did not hear anyone anywhere around us, to the sides, above, outside, nothing, although people were obviously next to us 'cause their stuff was in the landing. Very good sound insulation. We had a very nice ocean/pool view, which was a free upgrade they gave to us. A large pantry/closet was near the kitchen which was large enough for our food (on shelves) and also to stow our extra suitcase. There was a mini fridge, stove, microwave, coffeemaker, dishwasher. Nice seating area for 4 with a barstool at the kitchen bar also. Not super new or fancy, but we werent looking for a 5 star hotel, we were looking for somewhere inexpensive near the beach to shower and sleep and eat breakfast, which was exactly what we got. The daybed nook area was a big hit with my teenage daughter, plenty big enough for her to sleep and she hung out there reading, too. Also there was room for bags under the daybed, which was handy. The balcony was good for drying our beach stuff and sitting and enjoying the ocean view. The pool looked really cool, but we didn't go, we went to the beach instead.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that do not have an ocean view. We were in building 5 and had a nice one.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had put a three bedroom condo on reserve for my daughter and three of her friends for a weekend of summer fun. I had stayed here back in High school and college (80s and 90's). The check in area had been updated and looked nice. Once we got to the elevator all of the facilities true colors started to appear. The elevator was a mess with coke and chips stuck on the floor. The air conditioning vents on each floor were rusted through and a personal hazard if someone was to grab a vent on accident. We got in the room and the rooms had not been updated in years. The walls had door knob holes and the frames had been put together haphazardly with putty and paint. By 10:20 pm, the kids had settled in when they came out of the room and they had been invaded by flying termites. They brought out a white facecloth with 32 flying termites they collected off the bed. I called the front desk and all they had was one room condos to swap out for us. Im not letting 12 and 13 yr old girls stay in a one bedroom condo by themselves (call me over protective). They cleaned the room and bed and left quickly. Upon checkout they just wanted my cash and I didnt even get an apology when I addressed the problem after Management asked me about my stay. I would NEVER RECOMMEND this to anyone!!. I am a world traveler and have stayed in some crappy places, and this is one of them. For $383.00 / night, it was a complete ripoff!!

Room Tip: We had a Gulf view room, but not worth the headaches!!. Avoid this place!!!. The pictures below ar...
5  Thank salezmun66
Reviewed 27 July 2013

They ask for a 2 day minimum, I figured out why once you pass through the front gate you can't turn around, walking to your room wondering why every room has iron bars you finally figure out you in da hood. I will not ever be back I will spend 500 a night elsewhere to make sure I feel safe.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank cat4bar
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Upon driving up the hotel looks really pretty and exciting. But once you are inside it is nothing special. When we arrived to our room, it was completely in the back of the hotel facing the dumpsters with a view of dirty old mattresses and trash. We could not see the gulf. The room was tolerable. 2 young adults and one middle aged adult were not easily accommodated in this hotel. There was one bedroom and a set of NARROW bunk beds in a wall. I did not have the "luxury" of getting to sleep on the hard bed in the bedroom. I slept on the bottom bunk of the bunkbed in the hall. The "mattresses" were more like thin pads that you might find in a shelter. The entire bunk bed was so cheaply made it felt as if my sister was going to fall from the top bunk on top of me. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I would had rather stayed in my car. The bunks may have been ok for young kids but not an average sized adult. The room was very far from the breakfast room. And the breakfast that was only included for 2 people was crap. We ended up feeding our gross waffles to the seagulls. Our kitchen had spiders in the cabinets. and the bathroom was sub par with dingy towels. I don't plan on staying here again and I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kosmogurlkt
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Staying here now for 3 days and wishing I was home! We got a one bedroom unit with daybed in the alcove and sleeper sofa. The minute we walked in my teens were like "wow! The 70's called and want their furniture back." I had to agree. It is old, worn out, and very Bates Motelish. The kitchen is sparsely furnished ( pots, plates, cups, a few silverware, not enough for all 4 of us) there are no measuring cups, mixing bowls, or pitcher to make lemonade. The can opener is broken and only one of the 2 burners work. We have to wear shoes or our feet will turn black from walking on the floor/carpet. It is really no bigger than a motel room but just divided up. Bedroom and bathroom are tiny! If these are individually owned than the management or HOA should insist owners keep the units updated. I am paying $800 for 3 nights! It's worth about $75/ nt....seriously. The view from the balcony is great but not worth the cost. I gave it 2 stars because it seems clean and location is good. We won't stay here again!

Room Tip: Not #6304, too old unless you want a view
2  Thank ilovemaxi
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I booked our tripped through the government rewards program. I got there and they put us in the wrong room. I booked the 2 bedroom and they gave us a 1 bedroom. When I went back to the front to change it, it was almost like they did not believe me even though I had the email stating that I had the 2 bedroom booked. We finally got the room figured out. After being there for about 2 hours the housekeeping lady just walked into the room with no knock or warning.
The next morning I went to check my bank account and there was a $20.70 charge on my account. I went to the office to find out what this was since they told me there was no hold on my account. She stated it was the tax and resort fee. I am fine with this if I had been told of this prior.
My problem with the room was it was horribly outdated, dirty, sheets were nasty, cracks in everything, chip out of the coffee pot, and cracks in the windows. When it rained it came into the condo. Overall it was a horrible experience. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and I will never stay there again.
When we went to check out we asked for a copy of the charge they charged me and she stated we don't have that. We said you have to have something since you charged me. They printed out omething and then started blacking out charges. When we asked what she was blacking out she said it was the charges to the govt program, ok well I already know what these are, she said I have too. It seemed a little shady to me.

2  Thank Kristidbr