“Value poor; maintenance poor; accomodations mediocre.”

The Victorian Condominiums
Ranked #35 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 19 April 2006

This property is the epitome of why timeshare properties have a bait-and-switch reputation. The full color showroom catalog depicting this property will certainly reveal a shiny new property with every feature a guest could want. Arriving proves the photo shoot was made when the property was constructed, and minimal maintenance has been applied to keep it operational for one, two or more decades. The room was acceptable insdie, but the buildings, grounds, and facilities were barely maintained. The balcony furniture suffered from years of exposure to salt water spray, and the outside walls had accumulated a thick layer of black dirt. Arriving at the assigned room yielded elevators that were dirty, rusted out stairwells, and walkways painted with non-skid paint that had worn to the cement where people have walked. Across every room entrance is a burglar-bar door, although the crime these circumvent is not likely given the activity at the place. Their purpose is questionable, and their presence leaves the guest with an uneasy feeling why they are there. Free hot breakfast translated to waiting in line behind 15-20 people who are served warm greasy potatoes labeled has browns, scrambled eggs prepared hours ago and kept warm, and sausage and bacon baked in the oven to assure safety, but yielding little in the texture, appearance, or taste arena. The banquet facilities were adequate, but also had an appearance of many years use with only the bare required maintenance. Vermin dripped down the wall beneath the refuse chute door. The site advertises rooms sleeping six which is a gross exaggeration and only true if four of the six are children and don't require much comfort or bedding quality to be satisfied. The bedroom itself was microscopic to a point that a flat-screen TV on the wall truly was in the way of moving about the room. Bathrooms were clean, but the dropped ceiling in order to accomodate the climate control system left one feeling as if they were showering in a travel trailer bath. No room for one to dress while the other bathes can be expected. For the asking rate, it takes very little effort to find a room with a whole lot more to give. I would never revisit this place, and cannot recommend it to anyone with the rare exception of a large family on an extremely tight budget.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank Arnold_Ziffel

Reviewed 27 October 2005

My wife and I stay here on a Sunday and Monday and had a nice stay. The location is excellent, short walk to the beach and walking distance to Rainforest Cafe, Landry's, Golden Corral, Sonic and McDonalds. Nice views of the gulf from every room. Two very nice heated pools, I can see how the Victorian would be very popular with families with kids during the peak season. Room was clean, furniture and carpet was a little worn. There was a tennis court but the fitness center was very limited. Breakfast buffet consisted on muffins, cereal, waffles, fruit and juices. Front desk was very helpful and refered us to some nice restaurants and provided coupons. I would highly recommend the Victorian, its a bargain during the off season.

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank Tex4971
Reviewed 26 October 2005

We were so excited to have our daughter, son-in-law, and 4 grandkids (15, 12, 6 & 3) join us on vacation. The rate we were quoted was wonderful, especially for a 2 bedroom plus bunks & queen sleeper so that we could all fit in one place. What a surprise to find filthy floors, strangely-arranged bathrooms, dingy, nasty looking furniture, windows that hadn't ever been introduced to Windex, and towel service for only 4 people! The air conditioner had to be recharged on our arrival, we had to get bedding for the sleeper, extra towels, etc. The most accomodating people we met were those involved with housekeeping & laundry. We wanted to wash our clothes, but needed detergent. The dispensers were inoperative, but the laundry personnel gave us a box to use. The pools were nice, although the hot tubs were over-chlorinated to the point that the fumes burned your eyes...Why? Overall, we were not very impressed, even for the $$, particularly since we had just come from a Residence Inn in San Antonio that offered us so much more for only $30 more a night...more room, better accomodations, better food choices, free cocktails in the evening, and much more secure-feeling rooms. The Victorian is operated more as an investment property than a hotel, and we'll never stay there again, regardless of price.

9  Thank momomtx
Reviewed 14 October 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Victorian the weekend of 9/7/05. The front desk staff was very nice and friendly. The place had a geat view of the gulf. All rooms offer such view. The way the bedroom was angled, we could also see the gulf whlie lying in bed. Both pools looked really nice. Great location. Walmart was in walking distance (right next door). Golden Corral restuarant is also within walking distance. The place was just "surface" clean. I noticed a build up of dirt around the basebaords and along the floors. The bathroom vent was full of dust. The place was ok but could be better with just a little more attention given to the cleaning, especially the balcony area.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank Stayce
A TripAdvisor Member
Spring,Tx
Reviewed 19 September 2005

All suites are different because they are privately owned.
We enjoyed ourselves and had a nice room with a ocean view and a great view of the new pool area.
We would stay again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2005

My husband and I are optimistic people and we always makes the best of any situation. The Victorian was not nearly as nice as I had expected but the view from the inside bldgs that overlook the pool & ocean are very nice. The pools are nice & clean. The rooms were worn and dated. Carpet looked old & dirty. That doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been cleaned - old carpets look dirty no matter what you do. The linens were clean BUT the blanket was just plain nasty. It grossed me out to have it near me so we used the sheet only. Continental breakfast was okay -- if you are a waffle kind of person. Other than that it is cereal, some fruit, and shrink-wrapped muffins & bagles. The entrances to the rooms are long hallways with a burglar bar over each front entrance. It does add some security as Galveston does have it's problems with crime, prostitutes & drugs -- that comes as no secret to anyone who lives in the greater Houston area so the bars may well be needed. However, the bars do give the place sort of a "hotel in the hood" feel. Once inside the unit you forget about that though. The room is so-so but overall you can make the best of any situation. If you go there expecting 4- or 5-star then you are surely disappointed but if you go expecting a budget hotel on the beach with a decent location along with seawall with great pool areas then you are set for a good time. Although - I think one of the pools was closed but we didn't actually try it so I don't know for sure. Be reasonable in your expectations and just a suggestion (bring your own blanket from home and strip the hotel blanket off the bed upon arrival).

5  Thank Texas7
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2005

Our family booked the Victorian Condo for the Memorial Day weekend. We had requested for a room with bunk beds since we had two children. We did not get that. I called the office and they stated that they were sorry but they were booked for the whole weekend. Let's say we did not have a very good sleep that night since the four of us barely fit the queen size bed offered. The weather did not help at all since it rained all weekend. That was not the hotel's fault. but when it did stop raining, our children enjoyed the kid's pool. That was the highlight of their trip besides the beach. The kitchen was not much to be desired for. The electric burner only went up so high, so it took us forever to cook several bacons. We gave up cooking breakfast and went to the free continental breakfast offered by the hotel. If you get there early about 7:00 or 7:30, you can get what you want. You can make your own waffles. The food was okay. But if you wait until 8 or 8:30, there is no more food left and the line to make the waffles is not worth the wait. The cupboards and cabinets were filthy !! There were no liners on the shelvings of the cupboards. It was nasty!! The untensils was not clean either. I thought at every 3 stars hotels there would be a blow dryer. Boy, was I wrong.... If I knew that there was no blow dryers, I would have packed it myself. My hair was a mess that weekend !! And believe me, I was not happy when I have a bad hair day. Also there was not an iron and iron board in the room. When I called the office, they told me that they had two of them and that I would have to reserve it first. Then after I use it, I would have to give it back to them. I did not know that an iron and a blow dryer is such a LUXURY ITEM. Well, at Victorian Condo, these two items are hard to find !! I did enjoy my view of the pool and the beach from the balcony. Every condo has a balcony and a view of the pool and the beach. The hotel has two very nice pools (not big but nice). The burglar bars in front of each door was a little bit scary. I guessed I felt safer but at the same time there must be a reason why each of the condos have burglar bars in front of it.
Overall, view was nice, service was okay, but room was poor in condition and anemities.

• Stayed: May 2005