“Much Better The Second Time Around”

Matt's Rancho Martinez - Garland
Ranked #8 of 338 Restaurants in Garland
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Wylie, Texas
“Much Better The Second Time Around”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Matt's Rancho Martinez has been at this location for several years after moving into what use
to be a Two Rows Restaurant. It was only recently that I decided to try it out after buying a
Groupon voucher. If my initial impression was based solely on the food that I ordered, I would
never have gone back. In reading comments from many people and several sources, to my
surprise, most of the diners that went to Matt's talked about how great their "monster chicken
fried steak" was. Really! But, since I love chicken fried steak I couldn't help but try it. My
mistake was ordering what they called "Tampiqueno Style". I didn't know exactly what it was,
but I should have asked. I have never had anything so bland tasting in my life. The buddy
that was with me ordered chicken enchiladas and said they were very good

Most recently, I took my wife to get her opinion and hopefully have better luck in my selection
the second time around. This time I ordered an original "Country Style" chicken fried steak
with cream gravy, fries, Texas toast, and a small dinner salad. Much better! My wife tried
the enchiladas and also said they were very good. No matter what you order you receive
large portions. The chips that they serve are thick, so they don't break off while you're
dipping into the salsa, which is also very good and mildly spicy.

The dinning environment is open and pleasing, and the wait staff on both occasions was
friendly, welcoming, attentive, and overall excellent. For a Mexican restaurant, the prices
are extremely high and not at all family friendly. I would have rated Matt's a five star if
not for their prices. But, as I've stated, overall it was MUCH better the second time
around.

• Visited April 2014

Garland, Texas
“Great food!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We like to come here several times a month, the food is great and the staff is always there when you need something.
The only thing we don't like is the noise level is high due to such high ceilings.

• Visited March 2014
“The Ultimate Chili Rellenos”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I absolutely love Chili Rellenos (Cheese, Chicken, or Beef). My sister also shares this love as well and referred me to Matt's. She was spot on! If you go before 3 pm, you can pay the luncheon price and save yourself some money or you can save even more by ordering it ala carte. PS. They serve breakfast until 3 pm.

• Visited April 2014
Garland
“excellent food and great margaritas!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I've eaten here a number of times and each time the meal was excellent and service was good. Glad it opened in Garland!

• Visited March 2014
Kentucky
“Great food!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Chips and Salsa were excellent! Split a 3 taco dinner with my husband and we still couldn't finish the portion. Great margaritas and the service was very good.