“Very long wait; food not good; avoid this place!!”

Matt's Rancho Martinez - Garland
Ranked #10 of 339 Restaurants in Garland
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

On Tuesday, May 13, our party of 5 arrived at 7 pm and did not leave until 9 pm. We had a very long wait for a table and an even longer wait for the food to arrive. When it arrived, my 20-year old granddaughter had ordered "tamales dry" and they had been in a microwave for so long that they couldn't be cut with a fork! I ordered Beef and Guacamole Enchiladas and they were mediocre at best. The beans are terrible. We also learned that part of our wait was due to the :"lunch specials" being available on all day Tuesday (we didn't order the lunch specials either).. Never go here on Tuesday unless you want to wait forever. But, I will never be going here anymore anyway because the food is very mediocre and not justifying the prices. This place is not even the 30th best Mexican food in the Dallas area. I will avoid this place and advise others to do the same. Service was absolutely terrible.

2  Thank TCregular
There are newer reviews for Matt's Rancho Martinez - Garland

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We arrived at Matt's at 7PM and told 20-25 minute wait, really about 35 minutes, after seated and ordered it took 55 minutes to get our food. My daughters tamales were hard as bricks. Food was overall just ok. Not a place I will frequent again. We did read on the menu that the lunch specials are served all day on Tuesdays so we thought that might have been the wait but the waiter said no that is usually not a problem. If the food was awesome might try again but the food was not good enough to wait for a second time.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Matt's Rancho Martinez has been at this location for several years after moving into what use
to be a Two Rows Restaurant. It was only recently that I decided to try it out after buying a
Groupon voucher. If my initial impression was based solely on the food that I ordered, I would
never have gone back. In reading comments from many people and several sources, to my
surprise, most of the diners that went to Matt's talked about how great their "monster chicken
fried steak" was. Really! But, since I love chicken fried steak I couldn't help but try it. My
mistake was ordering what they called "Tampiqueno Style". I didn't know exactly what it was,
but I should have asked. I have never had anything so bland tasting in my life. The buddy
that was with me ordered chicken enchiladas and said they were very good

Most recently, I took my wife to get her opinion and hopefully have better luck in my selection
the second time around. This time I ordered an original "Country Style" chicken fried steak
with cream gravy, fries, Texas toast, and a small dinner salad. Much better! My wife tried
the enchiladas and also said they were very good. No matter what you order you receive
large portions. The chips that they serve are thick, so they don't break off while you're
dipping into the salsa, which is also very good and mildly spicy.

The dinning environment is open and pleasing, and the wait staff on both occasions was
friendly, welcoming, attentive, and overall excellent. For a Mexican restaurant, the prices
are extremely high and not at all family friendly. I would have rated Matt's a five star if
not for their prices. But, as I've stated, overall it was MUCH better the second time
around.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We like to come here several times a month, the food is great and the staff is always there when you need something.
The only thing we don't like is the noise level is high due to such high ceilings.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I absolutely love Chili Rellenos (Cheese, Chicken, or Beef). My sister also shares this love as well and referred me to Matt's. She was spot on! If you go before 3 pm, you can pay the luncheon price and save yourself some money or you can save even more by ordering it ala carte. PS. They serve breakfast until 3 pm.