“Great One-Night Getaway”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I had talked about getting away for some time, but each time I almost pushed the button for a two-night getaway, a work obligation would come up and he just couldn't manage two days. So, I decided one night would have to do and this was the perfect place to do it. We are from Austin, so this got us enough 'out' to feel like we really were away. I found a great jacuzzi suite at a reasonable price. We went on a Saturday and had a marvelous time. The place was clean, quiet and the room nicely sized. In addition, the staff was friendly and offered us hot cookies the afternoon we checked in. We made reservations at Wildfire (which I highly recommend) on the square. As mentioned, though, there was an Applebee's and Chili's within walking distance as well. The breakfast was warm and tasty and most of all convenient. The area seemed perfectly safe. Security never even crossed my mind. I'd deflnitely book this stay again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here a week on a business trip. Very clean, nice room, and appreciated the morning breakfast buffet so I didn't have to track down a restaurant at 6am every day. An Applebee's and Chili's within walking distance which was quite handy for me. One drawback was the lack of parking in the front of the building, and I saw no type of security for the premises, but I had no incidences. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My son was competing in the Spartan Super mud obstacle race event in nearby Burnet, & we booked our room at this property, which had good reviews on the Comfort Hotels web site. This hotel is located on the northbound access road of Interstate 35, so the cars in the parking lot seem to be an easy target for thieves. Sadly, after we checked out, we found evidence that an attempt was made to break into my car. It was covered with fingerprints around the driver's side door, and there were scratches along the door frame where a tool was used to try & pop open the door. While I realize the hotel cannot be responsible for the actions of potential thieves, some sort of preventative security should be provided in the form of a security guard or monitored cameras. The hotel had neither in place.

The indoor pool area was small & clean. The hot tub jet switch was not working, & according to the printed sign posted next to the switch on the wall, it had been out of order for quite some time. There were many athletes in addition to my son staying in the hotel for the Burnet event, & it would have been nice for them to have relaxed sore muscles in a fully functioning hot tub.

The desk staff was fairly clueless, with the exception of the older gentleman who checked us out on Sunday; he was both helpful & courteous. When we arrived on Friday, the business center's printer was not working. The desk clerk on duty was not available to trouble-shoot it (& didn't seem to know how) so I took a look & determined that it needed a new toner cartridge. They had none handy, but she promised to call the owner & ask him to bring one. Upon Sunday checkout, I stopped by the business center again, & observed that the toner light was still flashing, meaning it had not been replaced. A "convenient" business center diminishes in the convenience factor when basic equipment is not kept in working order.

The room itself was spacious and nicely decorated (in stark contrast to the garish, arcade-like carpeting & loud, orange walls that assault your vision in the hallways!). The beds are comfortable, and each bed offers both soft & firm pillows; a very nice touch! We had a microwave & a mini-fridge in the room. The bathroom was also spacious, and everything in the room was in working order. Our room was located on the backside of the hotel, so we weren't bothered by highway noise from I-35.

The typical breakfast was included with our room rate, and included an assortment: make-your-own Texas-shaped waffles, toast your own breads, bagels, & English muffins, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, cold cereals, oatmeal, sweet rolls, etc. The hot egg & meat offerings were pre-cooked & pre-frozen, and tasted as such, but for those who like to have eggs & meat in the mornings, they weren't bad. The breakfast area was not well-attended & we observed (& ended up helping) several elderly guests who were struggling with how to use the waffle iron.

This property has a lot of potential to be a much better hotel than it is, despite its poor location on the northbound side of I-35 (which is across the highway from basically anything in Georgetown that you'd want to visit). However, as is the case with many businesses, the lack of attention to detail and basic customer service did not endear it to my heart. I have no plans to return to Comfort Suites Georgetown anytime soon. There are many places to stay in Georgetown, and I will seek out another place next time I visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel are quiet; no noise from I-35. be sure to lock your car & sto...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JulieJ0122
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed a week at the end of February 2014 for a conference in town. The room was large and clean. Even though the room faced the roadway there was little noise. The breakfast was good and the location of the hotel made it easy to reach my conference each day. I also took advantage of the pool and fitness areas. They were clean and relaxing. There was remodeling construction going on but these areas were blocked off and did not cause disturbance. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make reservations if you know ahead of time you will be in the area. This is due to so many people s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sofia G
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were there for 3 nights, including the weekend of the Red Poppy Festival. So obviously our stay coincided with a very busy time. We arrived on Thursday and checked out on Sunday (along with everyone else evidently).

On Thursday night it was quiet and we were able to use the pool and the hot tub and relax. On Friday that was a bit more difficult due to other guests. The jets in the hot tub did not work but the water was still hot and relaxing. A much needed break for me! The pool itself was clean and there were plenty of towels. Some of the seating is very close to the edge of the pool though, and when a couple of kids came who liked to jump and splash my stuff got wet, so just make sure you put your stuff in a safe place. We were too busy to get to the pool on Saturday and Sunday so I'm not sure how it was at peak capacity.

Desk clerks- When we arrived there was no clerk at the desk. There was a sign saying one would be back shortly. Is this a theme with Comfort Suites? I had a similar issue when I was checking in at the Grapevine hotel the day before. The desk clerk on duty on Thursday night was a smoker, and when I came by the desk after we had checked in she was outside with a cigarette with a cordless phone. She came in to the computer when she needed to, but that is not behavior I am used to seeing for front desk staff. Later in our stay other clerks were on the desk and I did not see that happen. Maybe it was just a slow night.

We were on the 3rd floor, room 318, and we faced I-35 so there was some traffic noise. Also, the walls are thin. There was a connecting door in our room and over the weekend I could hear the other couple's conversations, shower, hair dryer, and other daily activities.

The room itself was smaller than the one we had in Grapevine, even though both were king rooms. The one here was so close to the window that I could barely squeeze myself around to that side of the bed. The noise from I-35 kept waking me up as well.

Room tip- Get an odd numbered room so you are in the back, away from the highway. The back of the hotel is very quiet. There are some apartments on the back side but it is very quiet and they are far enough away to not be a bother.

The "marketplace" was well stocked but there is no where in walking distance to get milk (except a cup of milk at breakfast). You will need to drive if you need milk for your little ones. Chili's and Applebee's are walking distance. People driving to them sometimes come through the hotel parking area so that can be a bit busy. Watch yourself.

For me- It was a toss-up between this hotel and the Best Western nearby. I chose this one because it seemed like it would have the better pool. However, if this is the BEST of Georgetown, then I might consider checking out another town nearby for our next visit. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't meet my expectations.

Room Tip: Get an odd-numbered room so you are away from the highway.
1  Thank RebeccaMA
ViralPatel, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While it is good to know that you had found some of the amenities and services to be good at our hotel, we are saddened by the fact that your overall experience was not exceptional.

We will now try to minimize or eliminate the staff need of taking a smoking break. We will arrange the pool furniture differently to allow for more room for the guests to walk easily. Though a free milk is available at any time of the hour for baby’s need, we will try to incorporate milk options in the market place.

You are right. Some guest may not like the highway noise that is heard at night from the room. While we look for a better solution in future to ensure your sleep is not disturbed, please, if you do give us another chance, request a room on the back side where the view of green trees and beautiful apartments are possible.

We thank you for staying with us and look forward to your next visit.

Viral Patel
Management

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. Just a mile or two from Southwestern University, the Comfort Suites was quiet (could hear a little road noise from I-35), comfortable and clean. The refridgerator in the room was larger than usual and had a small freezer. Indoor pool and hot tub were clean with towels provided. Beds were very comfortable. Nice location close to the historic area of Georgetown, which is a nice little town. Hot breakfast was good--dehydrated egg omelet with cheese is standard fair, but the staff kept everything stocked despite a crowd. Room and bathroom were very clean. Rooms were sold out due to numerous youth sporting competitions and other spring events--this apparently happens often as it is 20 miles to Austin.

1  Thank CST2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We only were there the one night and left before breakfast but they gave us a breakfast sack to take with us. The rooms were clean the sheets were of very good quality. Everything worked and the lighting was good. Take a night light as it's dark and the bathroom light shines on the bed if you leave a light on. Or a small flashlight works well too.
We will be back for graduation.

Room Tip: we had a room at the back it was QUIET!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Hampton Inn & Suites Georgetown / Austin North
8 mi away
Best Western Executive Inn
Best Western Executive Inn
#2 of 26 in Round Rock

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!