“surprised pleasantly”

El Charrito
Ranked #23 of 158 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This restaurant has has been around for many years but we never ate there until this trip - I guess we were reluctant because it doesn't have a lot of curb appeal - but when we tried it, the looks didn't matter - food was very good & we will surely return. Service also efficient & cheerful.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I can only speak to the outside window ordering of breakfast tacos on a Saturday morning.
Had heard about the restaurant from exerpts of reviews over the years past; (they have been here many years per the many reviews), Had seen little activity at the walk-up window on my and my wifes trips in the area which usually occur on weekdays and passed off the positive reviews as nostalgic trivia.
Our granddaughter was visiting this week who indicated her Mother, native of Beaumont, would take her and our son to breakfast taco venues in Houston, and she indicated she really enjoyed them. I thought; I wonder how our local BT icon would stand up to the Houston counterparts?
OK, she is 11, but has developed a varied palate for ethnic foods her parents have indulged her in over her short tenure.
She loved them! She had the chorizo & egg variety, and the wife and I had the sausage & egg.
(Didn't realize until after we ordered that we could have added cheese &/or potatoes, or other additions for a very minimal charge; will know in the future, as we will be back!)
Basic tacos at this writing were $1.50 and very filling and tasty. Additional ingredients $.25 each.
What a very tasty and filling breakfast for such a small amount of money!
One word of warning, if you can call it a warning: There is no apparent protocol at the window. When you arrive there will be some others standing around; no line at the window; ask if others have already ordered, and if all say they have, move to the window for your chance to order. When the window opens, the server will have a bag in his hand or a pen. If it is a pen, when he looks at you, state your order. This server has an uncanny ability to remember who ordered what and raises the bag and nods to you to receive your bit of culinary heaven. Take the bag and say Gracias!
The parking lot is small but moves quickly as service is very quick, others park on the street.
What a lovely little quirky spot in a very good neighborhood near the square in downtown Georgetown, maybe two blocks South of the Monument Cafe? Enjoy this landmark!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Yum! Please go and try this place. I all I can say is that I never recommend a mexican restaurant in Austin because I grew up in San Antonio -- nothing compares. This place did it right!

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I love the outside ordering area where you can get your breakfast tacos in about 2 minutes. They taste great and Jesus is very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Easily overlooked when driving by as a "iffy" looking hole in the wall, El Charrito has a simple but surprisingly good menu, good prices and friendly wait staff. Know locally mostly for its (mostly excellent) breakfast tacos for sale to-go from a side window or from the El Charrito truck that frequents building sites, it also has a small sit down restaurant that looks like it fell out of the 1950's! They don't have a liquor license (which in Georgetown is prohibitively expensive for small operations like this, so it's understandable) but they do have great salsa! Worth a visit, if only for a couple of breakfast tacos.