“Wonderful get away”

Ranked #2 of 6 Glen Rose B&B and Inns
Texas
“Wonderful get away”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We decided to take a break from Ft. Worth for the New Year & found this B & B. What a find! Pulling in the driveway was the beginning of a relaxing time. We stayed in the Carriage House, and it was small, but perfect for my fiance & I. I love that there was no tv in the "reading room"! Perfect place to turn off the phones & enjoy nature. The animals were a hoot, the goats, pigs, sheep, and horses...the walking trails were nice. It was cold & rainy most of our 2 night stay, so I can't wait to come back in the Spring when everything's in bloom! We'll definitely be back with the kids!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

I love bringing my grandkids here to run around, hike, pet the animals & stargaze! They have a great time walking by the river, playing croquet and horseshoes. And I can relax in the hammock to watch them.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

This place was great! I Chose it from reviews on trip advisor, and they were very accurate. It's charming, clean, and the animals are well cared for and friendly. The board games and movies in the rooms were a nice touch. Staff was super friendly and helpful. You could entertain yourself here for several hours, and it was just about my favorite thing about Glen Rose. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Robing100
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I was searching for something fun for my son and me to do and came across Country Woods Inn. I noticed they had a "walk-in special" so I called and booked the same day. It took an hour and half to get there from Dallas but it felt like we were a million miles away. As stated in previous posts, their website doesn't do this place justice.

We stayed in the Farmhouse East Wing. It was rustic but very cozy. I was actually surprised that it had satellite TV and a DVD player in the big room. The smaller room had a small TV/VHS combo also with satellite TV. They had several DVDs and VHS tapes to watch as well as many games (Trivial Pursuit, checkers, etc.) to play. The Farmhouse East had a mini kitchen with a small sink, microwave, and a smaller refrigerator/freezer. It was all we needed.

Outside our cabin was a tether ball court, hammock, tire swing, fire pit, grill, croquette kits, and tables with chairs. There was also a red wagon, tricycle, and mini rocking horse.

My 21-month old was so excited to feed the animals. Admittedly, I am a city girl and was not exactly sure what to do. There isn't anybody around to ask so we winged it. On the property are goats, horses, pigs, ducks, chickens, rabbits, a sheep, and a goose. The highlight of my son's trip was seeing horse poop (go figure). It was such a great experience for us both to get so close to the animals.

The toddler park needs to be updated. I didn't feel like the equipment was safe enough for my boy to play on. However, about a block away is Heritage Park with a gorgeous playground for big and little kids. You can get there by taking the paved walkway along the river. Just be careful of the stickers on your way to the river. Our shoes and socks were covered in them.

I cannot wait to come back here on a weekend and enjoy the Barn Breakfast. My son and I had a wonderful trip and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Suzyshack
Frisco, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed in the adorable train car at the Coutry Woods Inn. My boys had a blast! One of their favorite memories was our "pet horses". The two horses on property loved to spend time with us when we were enjoying some outdoor time. Our hosts did a great job of having a clean and inviting space ready for us. We would highly recommend this destination for a relaxing, slow-paced get-away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
WILLS POINT
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We were 3 generations and everyone had a great time!!
Animals and exploring, cooking out, walks along the river, sleeping cool and comfrotable in a "living museum" - fun for all!! Beautiful, relaxing, exceeded our expectations - we look forward to going again!

Room Tip: We rented the Prairie House - both wings - and glad we did to have 2 bathrooms and enjoy all the spa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DEBORAH C
Arlington, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The last time we visited Country Woods Inn (2008), my oldest was 3 and I was pregnant w/ #2 and we had a blast. This time we have three kiddos (7, 3 1/2 & 21 mos.) and I cannot think of a better place to stay for a mini-cation. The kids loved walking around and visiting with, petting and feeding the animals. The play area is rustic - old school, but no less fun, especially the tire swing and lemonade stand. Radio Flyer wagons parked nearby and though marked for firewood, provided a great way to tote kids around. We stayed in the North Wing of the Prairie House as another guest did and, though, it was a bit tight, we were not uncomfortable. The two bedrooms were more space than the Saddlehouse, where we'd stayed previously, and were so carefully and thoughtfully decorated. The kids loved sliding down the little waterfall in the river, catching lightening bugs and breakfast in the barn. This place reminded me of stays at the Cataloochee Ranch in Maggie Valley, NC where my parents took my sister and I when we were children: making friends with other kids, eating together, going on long trail walks, picking wildflowers with my mom - all memories I treasure. And now, my husband and I get to make memories with our kids! I have recommended CWI to all my friends as a relaxing and delightful place to stay when visiting Glen Rose or Granbury.

Room Tip: Saddlehouse was great when we just had one little one - one room. With more children, Prairie House...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Granbury
Inn on the River
Inn on the River
#1 of 6 in Glen Rose

Been to Country Woods Inn? Share your experiences!