“Heavy on the Spices”

Cuisines: American
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Although we enjoyed our meal here and the service was excellent, we felt that everything was over-spiced....too salty, to peppery (the ahi tuna appetizer), or too much seasoning on the salmon. The dining room is very atmospheric and we had an excellent table. It was a pleasant evening, but the food would have been more enjoyable if the seasonings had been a little more subtle. The desserts wer not outstanding.
Breakfast was wonderful, a buffet with many choices....biscuits and gravy, pancakes, waffles, all style eggs, jalapeño grits, etc.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

This was our second trip to Rough Creek Lodge for a day trip. This time we planned dinner as part of our day. The dinner is Chef G. Thompson's creation and the menu is changed daily for all meals. There is a herb garden on property and Chef Thompson sources much of the fresh, farm to table elements to create his excellent cuisine. The quail appetizer was perfectly cooked with a smoky and peppery taste and sent me in a food high. I chose the salmon as my entrée and my husband chose the grilled filet. Perfection to the palate, sums it up. The desserts-are incredible, rich and decadent with perfectly prepared. While our husbands fished all day, my friend and I decided to have lunch. Another dining experience that indulged our taste buds with sensational and well prepared food. On another note, the cocktails are mixed to perfection and add a great accompaniment to lunch and pre-dinner.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

5 Star All the Way - see my other review of this property. Fine dining, spa, shooting range, lazy river family swimming pool, large lake filled with large bass - fishing is fun!!

Reviewed 7 July 2016

The advertising and price of this experience misled me to believe that my and my grandchildren should expect quality, nutritious and delicious meals. Two meals a day were included in "my expensive package" Breakfast was as advertised, good but dinner, in particular the Kids' menu was awful. Hungry children deserve more that corndogs and pasta, especially considering the price.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

Dining at the Rough Creek Lodge is a sweet memory I'll savor for a long time! I must admit it is the first truly gourmet meal I've experienced. And what a meal!

The setting, out on the quiet plains of Texas, is relaxing. And walking into a western style, exotic yet cozy restaurant, sets the stage for the delightful dining experience to come. A warm welcome awaits and is followed by the most attentive wait staff I've ever experienced.

The food is beyond compare! I'm quite sure everything on the menu is as delectable as what we ate. I tried new foods I'd never had and enjoyed some of my favorites that were the best ever! Steak that melted in your mouth, venison cooked to perfection, quail, duck and calamari 'to die for'! Even the presentation was like a work of art, and each garnish was a delicious blend of flavors. Out of all of the food we had, everything far exceeded expectations. And then came desserts...choose carefully...each one is divine! I'd have to say my favorites were the banana pudding and molten chocolate cake.

The downside of a dining experience like this...it will never be equaled anywhere else!

Chef Gerard Thompson has created culinary magic, experience it for yourself!