“Superb service, exceptional food, and attentive to our allergies”
Review of Rough Creek Lodge

Rough Creek Lodge
Ranked #10 of 44 Restaurants in Glen Rose
Price range: US$50 - US$75
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2017

We ate at Rough Creek Lodge with a group of 6, and we all agreed it was truly a special meal! The food was delicious in all respects (the hanger steak and chocolate lava cake really stand out but everyone was very happy with their orders) and the kids enjoyed the buffet immensely. We had alerted them ahead of time about our daughters' gluten allergies and they prepared a gluten free pasta for them and also provided gluten free bread at the start of the meal which was so appreciated (you must alert them in advance if you'd like gluten free items!).

The waiter truly bent over backwards to make our meal the most enjoyable experience and did it with a sincere smile. And the entire staff made us feel at ease and like our many special requests were no bother at all (and believe me, we are high maintenance!). The ambiance is perfect and relaxing. Plan time in your schedule to stay and enjoy the meal - you won't be sorry!

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Rarely are we served a superb meal at lunch, but this was it. My Hummus, shrimp, greens and flatbread appetizer was very different and absolutely superb. Judy's salad of greens, pecans and apples was very good. We shared the hanger steak/sweet potato hash entree, a very large portion, and we ended taking some home. Not being familiar with the term "hanger" steak, I looked it up on Wikipedia and found that it "comes from the diaphragm of a steer or heifer" and is "a cut of beef steak prized for its flavor." Flavorful it was! And properly spiced. My only complaint was that their in-house nicely spiced potato chips were addictive, and my will power could not stand up to that temptation today.
Service could not have been better, and when we moved outside to the porch to sit and enjoy the slightly chilly day and the view, one of the wait staff brought Judy a light blanket to cover her legs!

2  Thank dougfmftw
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Although we enjoyed our meal here and the service was excellent, we felt that everything was over-spiced....too salty, to peppery (the ahi tuna appetizer), or too much seasoning on the salmon. The dining room is very atmospheric and we had an excellent table. It was a pleasant evening, but the food would have been more enjoyable if the seasonings had been a little more subtle. The desserts wer not outstanding.
Breakfast was wonderful, a buffet with many choices....biscuits and gravy, pancakes, waffles, all style eggs, jalapeño grits, etc.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

This was our second trip to Rough Creek Lodge for a day trip. This time we planned dinner as part of our day. The dinner is Chef G. Thompson's creation and the menu is changed daily for all meals. There is a herb garden on property and Chef Thompson sources much of the fresh, farm to table elements to create his excellent cuisine. The quail appetizer was perfectly cooked with a smoky and peppery taste and sent me in a food high. I chose the salmon as my entrée and my husband chose the grilled filet. Perfection to the palate, sums it up. The desserts-are incredible, rich and decadent with perfectly prepared. While our husbands fished all day, my friend and I decided to have lunch. Another dining experience that indulged our taste buds with sensational and well prepared food. On another note, the cocktails are mixed to perfection and add a great accompaniment to lunch and pre-dinner.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

5 Star All the Way - see my other review of this property. Fine dining, spa, shooting range, lazy river family swimming pool, large lake filled with large bass - fishing is fun!!