“Very basic hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Gonzales
Houston, Texas
“Very basic hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all, be prepared to get lost. Why? Because in all the brochures this place is labeled as "Care Free Inn;" however, the sign on the front still says "Comfort Inn." We passed this place three times. I finally called for directions and the two women with whom I spoke to could not give me directions! They told us to go to the Wal Mart and ask for directions! ?!?!? While reviewing the conversation I had with these two Mensa candidates it clicked in my head that they had answered the phone saying "Comfort Inn," so we doubled back and voila! This place is under construction with new management. We passed on the first room they tried to give us because it was next to the laundry room...uh no! The second room was good. It was clean with a full sized refrigerator, and a king sized bed that was comfortable. There was also a 32' flat screen TV on the wall. For $100 a night, it was basic...nothing outstanding. The only drawback was that they had a small problem with insects (beetles, flys, etc. not roaches) It was a little annoying, but it's a small town and it was only for two nights. If this was San Antonio and the Riverwalk (and Riverwalk prices) I would lower the rating. We never bother with the free Continental Breakfasts as other patrons normally clean everything out. Would we stay there again...probably because I'm not paying $150/night for a hotel in Gonzales, Texas. San Antonio Riverwalk yes, small town in Texas....no!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room; which may have accounted for the insects; however there is no elevator a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Beware of this hotel. They charge you upfront for the rooms. If you have to leave early your money will not be returned. The rooms are not clean. Linens were not washed. Tried to get money back and was told we stayed the whole time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Myra D

Travellers are raving about these Gonzales hotels

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

No customer service or hospitality. Rooms under construction or remodeling.
After you pay for the room you are on your own.
Went to the lobby at 7am on a Saturday morning. No one at desk.Rang bell and a guy
came out in his bathrobe.
I asked about breakfast and he motioned to a coffe pot which was behind the desk.
There was a container of some kind of cereal nearby, but no bowls or milk.
I counted a total of seven cars on a Saturday night.
Hotel Impossible for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Hogue1504
Crockett, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My review is stay away! Do not pay up front for your room. Hotel is sub standard. A total rip off. Rooms not clean. Pubic hairs in the bed. Noisy. Smelled rank. I can not say enough bad about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank scottyflatts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in mid july because our home ac unit went out we are local. Hotels in our area are quit expensive due to the oil boom. This is the only hotel that seemed to care. I explained our situation to the manager and he worked with us to give us a normal rate...not the $170 that other hotels in gonzales quoted us. I stayed and talked with the manager he explained they were in the middle of remodinling the hotel. The room was clean except for the carpet. The tile is new and the walls appear to be newly painted. The pool was great after 3 days with no ac at home. The ac was cold the sheets were clean and the beds were comfy. Lots of movement outside, mostly workers. Didnt bother us and as far as flys we are in south central texas, flys happen. I will recomend to visiting family.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boerne, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I am 62 and have traveled all over the United States over the years. This was undoubtedly the most unorganized, nasty place I have ever been. Nasty carpet, no baseboards, no door molding, chain torn off the door, 2 little towels and at least 12 flies in the room. They said the Wal Mart next door was "out of fly swatters". Well I went over to Wal Mart and they had plenty. I came back, killed all the flies and decided I just couldn't do it. When I asked for a refund I was told no, that "I have a business to run". We relocated to the beautiful, new Sleep Inn and Suites for only $4 more and they even have a full breakfast. I noted when I read some of the positive reviews posted they were from several years ago. Well this is how it is now, in 2013.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tomball, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were going to stay 2 nights. The lobby is filled with boxes and storage. The first night we got into the motel and the sheets were dirty with makeup and crumbs, the floor was dirty and the bathroom was dirty... basically the whole room was disgusting. We managed 1 night because it was so late and the counter lady said there was nothing else around for miles. Next mourning we complained about the dirty room and we wanted to be refunded the money for the second night. She said $98 was for one night and they only charged us for one. They gave no refund or reduced it because of the filth. Turns out we found the Best Western across the street and stayed there the 2nd night. I was so thankful for that nice clean motel. it was 103 but well worth the extra $5 bucks for the nice clean motel and Best Western told us they would refund our money if there was anything wrong with the room because they want us to come back. Carefree Inn is what it is CAREFREE. They don't care if you come back or not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family