“Excellent Lake Views” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Graford
dallas
“Excellent Lake Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

I was very impressed with the resort. The best part was the relaxation and pampering I received from the Spa.
They are very professional and it was a great experience.
They only have one restaurant and it is a little pricey--but we were on a weekend getaway.
This resort is recommended for golfers and lake activities--they have their own marina!
We rented a boat and toured the lake.
Not recommended for people that do not golf, or like water activities, or like spa treatments.
It is a perfect weekend getaway for those that do.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
dallas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

My family owns a small company and each year we try to have annual get away for family and clients. Last year it was decided (2008) that it would be at the Cliffs. Although it is beautiful and the golf was great we had a problem with the management. We decided since we love the place so much that we would try again. On Labor Day of 2009 we arrived friday we were welcomed as usual,( the staff at this place goes above and beyound ) we were checked into our rooms and off we went to the golf course. It was a great round and a good day, although saturday was the big tournament. AND that where it all went down hill again. Our group teed off early that morning. We had a great day, there were four foursomes. When we came in from playing our round it was time to relax a little befor trying to go up to the rooms and getting ready for dinner. And then once agin we were confronted by management (management is the same one person that caused are questions in 2008).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Willoughby Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

Where do i begin?! From driving in the resort until checkout the experience was absolutely amazing. First off just pulling into the resort gave me and my family a slight sense of comfort knowing there was active security making sure everyone that was supposed to be there knew where to go and making a written record of every person and vehicle that entered the place. What really made our family feel good was constantly seeing multiple security vehicles constantly driving around different areas of the resort, they were there when we went to sleep, and when we woke up! Check in was a breeze besides a small wait, but hey if there is that many people the resort must be recommended. Our hotel room was very clean, quiet, and the beds were comfortable. The furniture wasn't exactly flashy but it had a desk, Wi-Fi, and the chair was decently comfortable.

The restaurant- some of the best quality food i have tasted for that price! We started off with STUFFED JALAPENOS WHICH ARE TO DIE FOR! I had the venison, while my wife ordered the fillet mignon, and my daughter and son each had items off the kids menu. The wait staff seemed to be very experienced in customer service, we even had waitresses besides our one checking on us along with the restaurant manager and general manager who happened to be there at the time. Since it was such a nice weekend, we sat on the patio with an amazing LIVE band, i believe the "Three Ring Rodeo" or something like that. The temperature was slightly warm at first, but turned out being perfect later that evening along with the perfect view of the lake, probably the best view on the lake from what i could tell without flying over in a helicopter.

We rented a boat from their marina, and we were lucky enough to take out a basically brand new boat since they had just gotten them supposedly. They did look new though. One of the employees at the marina went over EVERYTHING on the boat with me, i felt i could drive any boat after he gave me lesson on how to drive the thing. They had jetskis too but we were just looking to be able cruise around. The wife and kids really enjoyed the lake, the kids especially with the tube and knee board we also rented. The kids nor my wife and i ever really got bored as there is huge playground, nice tennis court, volleyball area, amazing pool with a waterfall, and the whole resort is just a nice place to walk around and experience in general. My wife said the spa massage is what really made her weekend. I didn't play golf, but the golf course looked very nice and is supposed to be one of the hardest in Texas, so it is probably better i didn't play.

But best of all, it is a REAL GETAWAY! I see other reviewers complaining! What a bunch of complainers who don't know the meaning of a vacation! It's away from the city, the work, the worries, and all the other [--] the ruins your day!

Definitaly recommend for families and couples, and i guess any person who is good at golf.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Allen, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Overview: the staff was great and very accommodating, the noise at night kept us awake and the room quality was mediocre especially for the price.

We stayed at The Cliffs for an extended weekend along with some friends. The staff was very accommodating, but everything else left much to be desired. My husband and his friend golfed and enjoyed the course. The swimming pool was very nice. The price was high for the quality of accommodations. You are paying for the fantastic view (which was beautiful) and nothing else. The buildings are poorly constructed. Paper thin walls - we were kept up until 1:30 am because of noise from people upstairs and beside us (fortunately our infant slept through most of it). The bathroom was gross - water stains on the ceilings, dirty shower floor, rampant mildew under the acrylic shower knobs. We switched rooms after the first night and the second room was much better. When we arrived, our friends found that the reservations they secured were not available. They booked a Villa Suite and had to downgrade to a King room. The Cliffs provided them with a free rollaway bed for the hassle, but did not offer them a price cut in exchange for the mistake - they paid full price for the room. Went to the spa and the employees were great, but my massage therapist never showed. The others stepped in and took over, but I ended up waiting for a long time for the services I received. The restaurant was mediocre - too pricey for the quality of food. Dinner took a long time to arrive. To the Cliffs' credit: We ended up having to leave a night early because our infant became ill and they did not charge us for the room though we left at 9:30 pm. We were quite pleased about that. All in all, it was okay. We checked out some of the other lodging in the area and didn't find anything that looked to be better. Our conclusion was that Possum Kingdom Lake could use a really nice luxury hotel but as of yet there isn't one. I would recommend it to a friend but only because there is nothing we could find that looked better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dallas Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

The amenities are as described but more separated than I was expecting. Everything is within walking distance just some walks are a little longer ... View from the more expensive rooms is nice you should expect to pay about $190 w/tax during the week and about $262 w/tax on the weekend. A/C works well and in general the room is comfortable. Where things fall apart is when it comes to consistency in service... during our three night stay the room was cleaned once around 6pm and once around 10AM while my wife was in the middle of taking a shower. She noticed the person had entered the room and made the bed and straightened up while she was taking the shower... as you can probably guess no towels where left and the bathroom was not cleaned =) I also think it is a little humorous also but that is how the experience when throughout the weekend. My wife and her friend went to get a manicure and the young lady was inexperienced enough that she nicked both of them (at different times) while filling. The restaurant is fine ... but you will need to make reservations the night before ... even though it may not be busy. None of these things individually are large issues but they add up and took a little away from the experience we were expecting for the rate we where paying. Check out some of the other nearby resorts and even some of the owner rentals I believe you will get more bang and possibly satisfaction for the buck. I wrote this review to help level set expectations... Since this was my first trip to PK I probably would still have gone because the lake is beautiful. However, I might have attempted to stay somewhere else first. The interesting part was when we brought these issues to the attention of the front desk… we received blank stares =) and then they just went back answering the phone. They don’t know how to respond or how to fix a problem…It’s not worth getting frustrated over but we would not go back to the Cliffs. PS While we where waiting in the lobby we overheard the staff putting people on a waiting list because the hotel was sold out and at the same time they argued with a customer who was requesting to cancel a reservation. A lot of things with the service at this resort just doesn’t make sense.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Texax
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

We (early 30s couple) stayed for one night on the romance package and even with a discount I have no clue how they charge so much for a low end Marriott type room. Everything about this place is over-rated and not worth it. We had a Lake view room, according to everyone I asked it was the best room they offer and wasn't worth the price.

Maybe we are snobby but I dont think so. If you charge over $250 a night and title it a 'resort' you expect some level of comfort and service which the 'Cliffs Resort' doesnt meet. A couple of examples, the 'art work' they have on the walls is actually rugs from Target wjhich we have in our garage. We called at 6:00 PM to get towels because our room didnt have any on the towel rack and they said room keeping is gone so you need to go to the front desk to get them, etc...

I have golfed there and its a great course but everything else is overpriced, outdated and not worth half of what they ask per night. I wish I could report different but you should know what you are signing up for.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

I loved my stay! My sister and I went at the end of August to miss the summer rush and it was wonderful. Our room was spacious and clean with a patio overlooking the lake. The food was phenomenal! We both had relaxing massages in the spa and I enjoyed the work out room. My favorite was being able to run on a treadmill first thing in the morning while watching the sunrise over the lake and humming birds fly by the window. Gorgeous scenary and helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graford
Wildcatter Ranch
BEST WESTERN PLUS Graham Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mineral Wells
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Graham
BEST WESTERN Club House Inn & Suites

Been to The Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!