“History and Handicrafts!”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“History and Handicrafts!”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The guides at the jailhouse museum told us about this place. It is two doors down from the old jail. It is a historic log cabin that has since had siding put over it. There is a cut-out on the porch that shows you the original logs. Inside they have restored one room to show you how people would have lived in the 1850's.

The rest of the building was what I found to be a treasure. If you are a "crafter" you will really enjoy this place. Talented local artisans have their work for sale here, and there are all sorts of specialty supplies available if you want to diy. They teach classes in historic techniques like spinning, weaving, tatting, and dyeing. They also have classes for knitting, crochet, and sewing. And probably classes in something else I'm forgetting to mention! I enjoyed seeing the work of the local artisans, browsing the supplies, and visiting with the ladies who were running the shop. We were amused to find that the "specialty" for the area is stuffed rats - they are really cute. Think Steiff bears - only they are rats!

I would recommend stopping in for unique handmade gifts and admire their fabulous yarns. Too bad we're not local. I'd love to take a class or two!

The shop is open 10a-7p on Fri and Sat...Sun 1p-5p
214 North Crockett St (2 Blocks North of Square)
Granbury, TX 76048