“Great stay, questionable management”

Comfort Suites Grand Prairie
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Grand Prairie
Calgary, Canada
“Great stay, questionable management”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Let's start with the positives, and largely the reason that people would be reading this review.

My check-in person was fantastic. I was in much earlier than check-in time and she still found a spot for me despite the hotel being at capacity. I know that was luck, too, but the point is that the check-in person did what she could to make it happen.

The room itself was spacious and clean with good amenities. Despite being right on the freeway, it was very quiet. So quiet in fact that when I turned my A/C on, I could hear A/C from other rooms turning on. As this was disturbing, I turned my fan on, and I was essentially shut out from noises coming from the outside world.

Location is decent. It's walking distance to a few restaurants. Given that you are in the metroplex, it's certainly not close to everything, but you have to trade off whether or not it's close to the majority of the things that you want to do - and it was. It's a short drive to Cowboys Stadium and the entertainment areas in Arlington.

The breakfast was below-average but passable.

The problem with this hotel, it seems, is that should anything go wrong - will management be there to help you? I had tried to contact management prior to my arrival to find out whether or not they'd hold a package for me. No response - I eventually had to phone to find out.

Upon check-out, I find that the hotel charges a $1.50 safe fee per day. Funny thing - I didn't even know that I had a safe, and I sure as heck didn't approve being charged for it. I argued this after check-out. The check-out person keeps me waiting for another 5 minutes as she fiddles with the computer, only to declare that the charge "should" now be reversed. Well, it wasn't. I was actually charged again. So, now I'm contacting management and all I get back is another folio essentially confirming that I've now been double charged for what I shouldn't have been charged with in the first place.

I'm not worried - I know that I'll eventually get my money back even if I have to charge them back through my credit card company. Problem is that all of this could/should have been avoided - and regarding of eventual resolution, this is taking up my time that could be better used elsewhere. So, despite a nice room and nice location - I cannot recommend this hotel, and I personally would not stay there again. A safe charge - you've got to be kidding.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheCann0n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Downey, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Check in was fast, rooms were very clean..breakfast was good and the kitchen staff was nice and always smiling...would like to have had the laundry facilities on my floor and they needed more than 1 washer/dryer....didn't like the location of the hotel...to many turns here and there in order to get into the hotel driveway

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 18vivian18
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here with our softball team. Our reservation was for 1 night only. They charged us for 2 nights. I called and emailed the manager Kirk for weeks and he NEVER returned any of my calls or emails. Very poor management!

Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Bohlkend
Zimmerman, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My family and I have stayed in other Comfort Suites in the past and this one was just O.K. If you need a place to stay between Fort Woth and Dallas, this one was clean and reasonable in price. I think that there was only one person working and it was hard to get towels or service. The pizza place they recommended was O.K. but it took 1 hour for delivery. The breakfast was O.K. It was also very noisy next to the interstate. I needed to use earplugs to sleep. It wasn't bad, we have just stayed at nicer Comfort Suites. I do not know if I would stay there again if I were to be back in that area again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Becky H
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We found this hotel looking for a place with reasonable rates relatively close to Cowboy Stadium. This hotel was fine but is very close to the freeway which is busy at all hours. This was an average hotel, clean and ok for just a place to sleep. The best part of staying at this hotel was finding the nearby mexican restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RCBBA
Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Although we slept well and the facility was adequate, would not select it again. Very close to I-20, small parking lot with commercial vehicles making parking tight. Room small; one of beds was right by window. Specify a room away from freeway. Be aware that the owner of this Comfort hotel puts a room safe charge on your bill. Will be taken off if you request. A maintenance room on top floor near elevator was propped open with a trash can throughout our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMSWisconsin
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The staff was awesome front desk super jobs everything o needed i got it. Frendly staff housekeeking i would stay here again . It right by alot of restrauts i loveI love comfort suites come and check this place out

• Stayed August 2012