“Weak link in the chain”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here for three nights while attending a conference. Overall, this is a decent place but the sum of the minor issues wouldn’t convince me to stay here again, although I would still recommend it if you needed a quick place to stay in this area.

Staff: The front desk team was efficient. Nothing extraordinary in the way of service but certainly professional. The staff in the conference area was nice. I liked the guy in the restaurant at the carving station at lunch…he was awesome.

Facilities: The place needs some updating. It’s clean and looks nice on the surface but look closer and some of the furniture is a bit worn, carpets a little faded in spots and things just showing some normal wear and tear. My room was very dark. That’s partly the way the hotel is designed but also because numerous lightbulbs were burnt out. The lamp by the bed was missing the knob to turn it on and off (the screw part was there but the plastic covering was gone). Beds felt very cheap…super soft and you could feel the springs. My room was very clean as was the hotel in general.

The gym was well equipped but they kept it way too warm. It was warm when you walked in and then once you exercised for five minutes you felt like you were in the rainforest. I heard several people complain about that.

Food at the buffet was subpar. Eggs were a mystery and bacon was limp and greasy. Coffee was very good, though. Fruit was tasty.

If you shower in the morning, be prepared for lukewarm water. Everyone at my conference had the same experience. When I showered after the gym in the afternoon, there was plenty of hot water. I think it’s just a capacity issue if they’re full.

Highlights: The pool looked nice. But my card key would never open the door (nor would it open for my co-workers) so I couldn’t get in and I didn’t feel like searching for someone to let me in. There is a free shuttle to the airport and they’ll take you other local places.

Areas for improvement: Do a maintenance checklist on rooms. Bulk up your hot water heater. Turn down the heat in the gym. Fix the card key thing to the pool.

Location: Well, you’re pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There’s a Bass Pro Shop (huge) attached to the hotel and Grapevine Mills Outlets are right there.

Overall impression: I know I’ve listed a lot of little things. But they add up, and I’m sorry, it’s not my job to provide a punch list to maintenance for things to fix. If it’s one or two items, I’ll make a call but when it gets to be a long list, that tells me that things are slipping.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Watthree

Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for our daughter's wedding in Grapevine. There were 15 of us staying for 3 to 5 days. We all enjoyed the breakfast and evening goodies, the location of the hotel in regards to the Mills Mall and other restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I held a meeting here the week of February 4th. The meeting and banquet facilities were fine. Everything went smoothly. Food was good but not outstanding. The hotel location is convient to the airport and other restaurants in the area. My group had some problems with long waits for pickup by the airport shuttle. Also, with a full hotel on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, most of my party had no hot water for showers in the morning. A personal peeve was the throw pillow size pillows that were the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced.

The hotel was fine - nothing special, nothing particularly bad. But the hot water issue will prevent us from holding another meeting here with so many options in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Great location for hockey .Outlet stores and rink within walking distance of hotel. Nice little town with great restaurents in Grapevine. We were there over Super bowl W/E and the resaurant accomadated 17 kids and 34 parents easily for food for the game. The saff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel for any hockey teams going to Dallas

Room Tip: Breakfast is busy. Give yourself lots of time
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon G
Reviewed 6 February 2013

This was an A+ experience from start to finish. The staff was helpful, amenities were perfect, the hotel and the suite were immaculate. The close proximity to Uncle Bucks restaurant and Outdoor World were fantastic. We will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Upper level room overlooking the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed in January 2013 room was clean and spacious. The bed was firm with many pillows. Free breakfast cooked to order w great. The facility had a lodge decor. I would recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Angie L
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel in mid-January for a small business conference. Hotel is located next to Bass Pro Shop, so it is easy to see - and the street is called Bass Pro drive, so you can't miss it. There is a free shuttle from DFW but it took about 20 minutes for it to arrive at baggage claim.

Check in desk is very small - just a podium, really. Nice staff and no line, but my room wasn't ready at 1pm, so I checked my bags and went to the conference room on the 2nd floor. The atrium is very pretty, with lodge-type touches and a large lighting structure hanging in the center of the room. The restaurant/bar area keeps the atrium somewhat loud.There is a small gift shop (more of a trinket shop) by the elevators. I was on the 12th (top) floor and never had to wait more than one minute for one of the glass elevators.

My room was a suite (I think they all are suites) and seemed larger than the average suite you would get in this type of a hotel. I had a sitting area, a wet bar with fridge and microwave, a small dining area with four chairs and a flat screen TV in one room, along with a very large half bath. When I arrived, their was an industrial size fan in my room and a heavy scent of deodorizer. Once I moved into the bedroom, I believed I smelled a hint of smoke, so I think they must have been trying to mask a previous smoker (which is a no-no in Texas). It was a non-issue for me since the fan and smell were gone when I got back to my room that evening.

The bedroom was also very large and had a small patio (but it was too cold to go outside) that is recessed into the building so that it is completely private. It also makes the room a bit dark but ti didn't bother me since I keep the blinds closed anyway.

The bed was king size and had plenty of pillows. It was a firm mattress and very comfortable. Dallas was having a cold snap and I had to get out the microfiber blanket in the closet, but it looked brand new. There was a flat screen TV on the dresser and an alarm clock/mp3 player. One of the bedside lamps did not work. Neither had a convenient plug so I had to plug in my phone and laptop on the desk. The closet was smallish and did not have a robe (even though I am a Hilton Honors Gold member). The bath was large but only had a tub/shower combo (although the tub was jetted). I loved their toiletries - Crabtree and Evelyn avocado shampoo, conditioner and soap. The hair dryer was connected to the wall (annoying) but worked well. Towels were of a good quality although the bath mat was tiny. I enjoyed having a separate bedroom and when I shut the door each evening, I heard absolutely no hotel noise, even though my room was just off the elevators and all rooms face the atrium.

We chose this hotel for convenience and value. Although the rate was a bit high ($200), it included the free airport shuttle, free parking for those who drove in, and a free breakfast and cocktail reception each day. Those little things add on to the final bill at other hotels. We ate at the sports bar twice, where the food was very good and not too expensive. We also ate at the Bass Pro restaurant, where the food was not as good (although fair). Breakfast was a typical buffet and crowded every morning, although we never lacked for a place to sit. Near registration, there is a small refreshment bar where they served warm cider and cookies in the late afternoon.

Coffee in the conference area was better than coffee on the buffet, and for purists, there is a Starbucks in the hotel where you can get a fix (for a price).

This hotel is right in the middle of the DFW area, although it is not adjacent to much, other than a shopping mall and the town of Grapevine. If you rent a car, you can easily get to Dallas, Cowboys Stadium, Fort Worth or Six Flags in about a half an hour (depending on traffic). Construction on the highway just outside of the hotel was particularly bad and congested during our stay. The shuttle had to take a long detour to get to the airport, which should have been a 3 or 4 minute drive. This is not the hotel's fault, but probably should be conveyed on their website so guests can plan accordingly.

I thought this hotel was certainly worth the money and I would stay there again. I would recommend it for business travelers or those with a rental car wanting a central location.

Room Tip: I think the higher floor have larger rooms