“Unsatisfactory Experience with Front Desk”

Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The Good
I have stayed with this hotel for a number of times and mostly I've had good experiences except this time. I've booked a room for 2 weeks and at the time of reservation I was told there were 2 days that have a different rate. I'm fine with that and I was issued a reservation number. It was when I've arrived at the hotel when the front desk informed me I have 3 confirmation numbers to track the different rates. I didn't think much of it and the front desk was kind to modify my reservation to apply the same rate all through out my stay. This is super! :) Oh by the way, they've improved their breakfast selection - there are more yummy choices including mushroom/spinach/cheese croissant, waffles, smoked bacon and apple biscuit to name a few.

The Hassle
And this is when the 3 confirmation numbers come into play. Three different reservation means I have to keep going to the front desk to "check-out" and "check-in" again. The entire process isn't exactly time consuming but just a bit of a hassle as you will receive multiple bills and your room card won't work until you go to the front desk to re-configure.

The Bad
So I thought I only have 3 reservations under my name - turns out there were four! One day before I'm due to check out, I've received another bill but I thought it was an info for me in preparation for my check out the next day. I didn't realize that I have been checked-out again and at 8:30pm (tired from day's activities) I went up to my room only to find out my room card doesn't work anymore. I have to go back down and have it re-configured. I've asked the front desk if I have been checked out again and I was informed NO and that their records show I'm checked-in until the next day.

At 12:12am in the morning I've received a call from front desk asking me who I was and why I was staying in that same room I've occupied for the past few days! I've explained that I was just down there 4 hours earlier and they've reconfigured my key. How can they have missed that? The front desk apologized and hang up and I went to sleep. Another ring woke me up (and we are talking about past 12am!) and front desk told me that I haven't been checked in and that he will go ahead and charge my card. I was too tired to argue.

This defintely ruined my experience with Hyatt. I am a platinum member and I have expected personalized service and better customer experience. I do not understand why my reservation couldnt be rolled-up into 1 when they've adjusted my rate and I am required to check-out and check back in. I do not appreciate waking up during unholy hours for a mistake done by front desk. Even if the front desk made a mistake and was not able to check me in, their records would have shown I've been a long time customer, I am not due for check out until the next day and they have my card on file. It is not that urgent to wake me up!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Recently stayed here for a conference at the Gaylord, which was sold out. Not only was this price more reasonable, but it took less time to get from my room at the Hyatt to the conference center than it would have if I had to deal with the elevator and the long walk at the other hotel. Less than 5 minutes from my room to the conference center! Room at Hyatt Place is much larger and was nice to get away from the conference. And you get free breakfast here! Next time I have a conference there, Hyatt Place is my choice!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This property is adjacent to the Grapevine Mills Mall and very close to DFW. There is an airport shuttle running every half hour. Allow about 20 minutes to get to your terminal. There are several chain restaurants within short walking distance. I would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 167Traveler
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I have stay 7 nights in this hotel during my business trip in Dallas lately. This property is not very new but the service of this hotel is pretty good. It also provide free wifi. Most importantly it is near the Grapevine outlet mall with good shopping such as Coach, A & F, Levis, Disneystore and etc. Just across the street is the mall.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels over my time, for being an affordable sister, Hyatt Place is amazing. They actually have a bar that is manned by the same crew that checks you in, which makes it nice. They have always been extremely pleasent and "normal" not "company policy says I say this" which i cant stand. I enjoy normal human conversation when at a restaurant or hotel or any other hospitality bussiness. The shuttle service is accomodating and will take you to nearby stores with no question. The rooms are spacious and modern/up to date. Swiveling flat screen and iPod dock. Breakfast is great, obviously not amazing but c'mon it's included. Bout the same as you'd get from an all inclusive in Jaimaca, good enough, and not extra. This is what I would like to see out of most 100-150 range hotels. So good job Hyatt, this is my first review of any kind, and you got a good one. This specific one has a really great staff, cheers, I'm glad I stayed here.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is the third or fourth stay here. It's a very typical Hyatt Place, clean, free, fast WiFi, modern rooms. They do provide shuttle service within a 5 mile radius which was great for the GrapeFest. The problem is that you get different information from different staff as far as how or when the shuttle runs. We were told when we checked in that we should just call down when we wanted to go and that the shuttle was "on demand". We do that and get dropped off at the festival. When it's almost 11:00 pm and we are ready to come home, we call and are told that we've just missed the 11:00 shuttle and the next one will leave in 30 minutes. Apparently the shuttle was on a 30 minute scheduled. Just wished we had known that. They have "upgraded" their breakfast to include some hot items but they've taken away the yogurt. Breakfast area can get a bit crowded but pretty quick service in the morning cleaning tables and keeping the buffet stocked. The hotel is also right next door to the Grapevine Mall, across the street from Bass Pro and not far from the Gaylord Texan and Great Wolf Lodge. Would stay here again but would ask several staff the shuttle schedule before heading out of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is my second stay with Hyatt Hotel's "Hyatt Place" brand, my first was in Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago.

Having stayed in a Hyatt Place previously, I knew what to expect property and room wise - all of the properties are identically laid out. My room was clean, comfortable, and conducive to a single business traveler.

What does stand out at this hotel is the staff! Being a Hotel Manager myself with over 2 decades and 4 countries of resort experience I was blown away by the friendly staff that took me under their wing and treated me like family.

From my short wait at the airport for my friendly transfer by Amadou, to Tanner's no stress, quick, friendly and efficient check-in, to Walter's entertaining service at the bar these were all standout staff members for me.

Ababeska and Michelle handle the weekend evenings, and Arabeska provided warm, caring, friendly and anticipatory service - Kudos!

Mona, the Front Desk Manager, truly went above and beyond. Working alongside the staff and treating me as a friend or family member, she is such a gem, the hotel is lucky to have her amongst all the staff I have mentioned and I really left feeling like I had made a new friend.

Oh, and Everett, the maintenance man. So attentive, so responsive and he called to follow up on my minor a/c issue.

So, for under US$100 with breakfast included. What exactly is it you expect? For me, if you get a clean and comfortable room, right across the street from a major mall, with a shuttle driver available and willing to take you elsewhere in the area AND to top that all off you have great staff, I would say that's a pretty fantastic deal!

I do have to say the enjoyment of my last day was somewhat dampened by a large convention/Christian Fellowship, which included loud, obnoxious young adults who did not seem to have any regard for the people around them and were not only yelling and screaming but engaging in horseplay and bullying. The hotel was proactive in trying to control that group, but quite frankly the chaperone should have been able to do so, and/or the "fellowship" should have their own sense of respect and "Christian concern" for those around them.

PS: if you visit soon, say hi to Ernesto, whom I refer to as the "Ambassador of the Hyatt Place, Grapvine", and is here on an extended stay.

Room Tip: I liked the top (6th) floor.