“Great hotel, horrible staff”

Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Went here to be close to the mall. I loved the room, it was great for the price. The guy who drove the shuttle was awesome, he took us all over town. The next morning for breakfast I was angry. The "free" breakfast turned into me paying 8 bucks for a burrito. The cook couldn't speak English or understand it. I waited 20 mins for a bacon and cheese burrito, that came out with nothing but egg on it. When I went to the desk to complain, the lady at the desk more or less called me a liar and was mad she had to refund my money. I really liked the place until this happened. I am not sure if I would ever go back since all the other hotels around there are the same price.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine

Reviewed 28 July 2010

i reserved my room through the hotel's website. when i got my receipt on the last day, it only listed the extra charges. when i came down to ask the staff about a receipt for my room, they said i booked my stay through a travel agency. really? i must have done that in my sleep because i actually booked it myself from their website. instead of helping me, they continued to tell me i was wrong and did nothing. all i wanted to do was find out why it did not show room charges and then have them explain why the room was listed at a rate of $105 when i paid $129 for each night according to the website. i am annoyed and very displeased. i was not happy from the beginning because the hotel does not look at all like the website depicts it. i am leaving a review on tripadvisor because there is no place to review the hotel on the hyatt place website. i feel ripped off and ignored. i'm pissed.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jlynnvarner
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I stayed here two nights for business. The location was convenient for where I needed to travel daily. Check in was quick and effective. Room was clean and modern with sitting room with large sofa, desk and mini fridge. Nice flat screen TV between the sitting room and bedroom. The bathroom is on the small side and doesn't leave much room at all for the door to close. The closet is also very small so I don't know if this would be an issue for a long term stay. Workout room had three treadmills and 1 other machine; no weights, no balls , no mats. It was also very warm in this room. Staff were nice and attentive. My only issue was that my room key didn't work on several occasions and I had to go to the front desk and have them redo it at least 3 times. Breakfast was pretty traditional continental breakfast but they do have other items available for purchase. They also have a coffee bar, some premade sandwiches and salads and a place to purchase beer/wine. Free, fast wireless throughout the hotel and a couple of complimentary computers with printer in the business area. Hotel is conveniently located to a mall and several restaurants within a five minute radius. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We spent one night at the Hyatt Place in Grapevine because we had an early flight out of town. We arrived around 9 Pm and left at 4:30 am. The hotel staff was very nice and we had no problems checking in. Once up to our rooms we were pleasantly surprised by how nice the rooms were in design and lay out. The couch and beds were very comfortable. The kids and my fiancee loved the HUGE t.v. and I enjoyed a couple hours of sitting on the couch reading my book while still being able to peek at the t.v every once in a while. The room was very clean. Teh bathroom was a bit small but it wasnt anything to get too upset over. Around 1 am all of us were starving and the shuttle driver was so nice he drove us up to Whataburger so we could get something to eat. He also asked where we were going and when he picked us up to take us into the airport he had checked the status of our flight even though he didnt have to. Very nice. I would recommend this hotel!! We were unable to visit the pool so I can not comment about it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a short weekend getaway. The hotel is very nice. The rooms are very clean and roomy. The bed was comfortable and the flat screen TV is huge! The bathroom is very small, the door almost hits the bathtub when you opened the door. We were a little disappointed when we requested an upper floor room and instead we were put in room 102 which is right next to the door to the pool area and across the hall from the gym. Thank goodness the pool traffic stops at 10! Our first night was fine but on the second night a group of young boys checked into the room next to us. They were very loud and kept slamming the door and standing in the hallway talking. Around 12 we finally gave up and decided to call the front desk only to find out that out phone was broken. So my husband got dressed and walked down to the lobby but there wasn’t anyone around. The noise finally stopped around 2am. The next morning I noticed there was a $3 chocolate chip cookie charged to our room that we didn’t get. When we went to check out I told the lady and she got very rude with me. I told her that if I had actually gotten a cookie I would have no problem paying for it. After all we had just paid $100 a night to stay in a hotel I’m sure we had another $3 but it was the principle and the fact that she got so hateful. She took it off then she refused to give me the second night ½ off even though we had booked it that way on the Hyatt website. She said I should have told them we checked in. I then got out my laptop and showed her where it said “discount to be taken at checkout”. She continued to argue with me so I told her she needed to get someone else to help me. A man came over and fixed it but he was not friendly either. I will definitely stay at another Hyatt Place you definitely get a nice room at a good price but not this Hyatt Place. I can’t wait until I get my survey!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2009

The stay at this property was really enjoyable. The only disappointment was not hot tub at the pool.

The room was very spacious and cmofrtable. The staff extremely friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient grouped in with a mall, tons of restuarants and lots of hotels and just moments into DFW airport.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2009

While flying back to my home in Texas bad weather grounded me in Dallas for the evening. The two hotels at DFW were full and I chose the Hyatt Place in Grapevine for its location and available shuttle service.

So in miserable icy weather, with no suitcase and only the clothes I was wearing, the shuttle picked me up and safely transferred me to the hotel. The hotel staff was very nice and provided me with a quiet room and complimentary toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, and shaving items.

The shuttle driver kindly dropped me off at the nearby Steak 'n Shake for a late meal. It would be an easy walk in nicer weather but I appreciated the shuttle to and from.

The next morning found even worse weather but the shuttle driver safely deposited a van load back at the airport.

I have stayed at a Hyatt Place in the Dallas - Ft. Worth region before. The rooms are very nice and spacious, with all sorts of tech features and FREE in-room wireless internet. I wish the "fancy" hotels I sometimes stay at would adopt this policy.

A quick run through the breakfast provided me with an apple and orange juice that I took back to the room. Seating can be limited in the dining area and I've found taking it back to the room very nice. A tray is even provided in your room for this purpose.

The hallway outside my room reeked of smoke, although all rooms on my hall were non-smoking. Someone wasn't following the rules... It did not permeate my room however. Also, both times I have stayed at a Hyatt Place the computer system either didn't work or seemed to stump the desk staff. Hyatt needs to invest in new software or something.

I deeply appreciate the kindness shown this weary traveler on a miserable night by the hotel staff and the staff at the Steak 'n Shake!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)