“Disappointed!!”

Grapevine Wine Tours
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Grapevine
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I went on the Grapevine Wine tour
while visiting the area on a long weekend.
While the driver was charming and fun, and the shuttle
was well kept and comfy, we were disappointed
in the "wineries" we visited and the restaurant
staff where we had our lunch.
We were picked up promptly from our hotel, the last
of three couples, our driver was friendly and
fun and advised us we would all be good friends by
the end!!
First stop was Homestead Winery, which is close to downtown
Grapevine in an old, historic house. While the
place had its charm, I found the tasting to be
rushed, we were given the chance to taste all
that they had, but it was poured quickly and on to the
next with our host really not answering much about
the wine, etc. It seemed we were just there to drink
and then buy wine, then we were on our way. I would have liked
more history of the wines, and the house, maybe a tour (??)
After being shuttled into the buying room, we were shuttled
back in the van on to our next stop.
This was in downtown Grapevine and was called Farina's Winery.
Again I was disappointed as it really didn't seem to be
a wineray but a restaurant that had wines?? We were quickly
put at a private table in the back and handed a small menu.
Here we were given one choice of a wine and a limited selection
of an entree. Let me say here that when booking the tour,
it asks for any food allergies which I noted that I am celiac.
When we were seated I mentioned this to the waitress and was told they
didn't have a separate facility but they did have GF pizza. I ordered
that and the salad (plain). I do not feel that the tour should ask
about food allergies if nothing is going to be accomodated.
Our two wait staff were bordering on rude, rushed us along
and barely answered any questions.
We figured out afterwards maybe it was because the gratuity was
included (?) which I would have happily given more if we had
been taken care of. I also wouldn't call this a wine stop as we
only got the one glass of wine (limited choices).
Our last stop was our best stop, Crosstimbers, which was another
small wine boutique place, the staff was friendly, willing
to accomodate, brought us a cheese plate with tastings, and was
happy to chat about the history of the wine and the house.
All in all I would say this tour is not worth the price, you could
visit the wine places on your own, have your own meal and enjoy
yourself. Don't waste your money!!

4  Thank laenie
There are newer reviews for Grapevine Wine Tours

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I could recommend Cross Timbers Winery to everyone. Had 5 of us show up on a very hot afternoon, had a flight of wine that was delicious, we were offered complimentary cheese and crackers,a very knowledgable staff and a great way to beat the heat. We enjoyed ourselves and bought some wine to take with us.

Highly recommend this out of the way winery at the far end of Main Street.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was a group of 4 co-workers celebrating an event completion at the Gaylord TX. (We are event planners & marketing people) We went on a lunch tour with another couple who was celebrating their 24th wedding anniversary. The shuttle was clean, on time, and the driver was great! We went to Homestead first, which was a fun and exciting location due to the history of the property, we don't have anything like that in Phoenix. We had a plethora of wine to chose from and our wine steward was more than accommodating if you weren't keen on a few or really enjoyed others. Great experience and fun to be able to try so many wines without having to buy first. Our lunch was very good and it would have been nice to walk around downtown Grapevine a bit, but the humidity was very high and it was just to hot for us desert dwellers. The last stop was Delaney winery, this was an amazing place, the building itself is worth seeing and the grape vines are pretty spectacular for such a smaller location, not to mention it's Grapevine...I wasn't expecting wine grapes to grow there, but apparently with much tending certain varieties can grow there. Our tour guide was very nice and we had a lovely time trying the wines they offered. The only regret is that we were all traveling that evening and were not able to purchase any wine to take with us, but otherwise it was a fun experience and we all enjoyed the tours. I would go again if in Grapevine.

1  Thank H C
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked with Grapevine Wine Tours in May to celebrate a 40th Birthday for one of my girlfriends. The staff was very helpful and sent out a link so everyone could register and pay on their own. I called the day before to confirm that all 8 were registered and ready to go. We booked a room at the Embassy Suites Outdoor World, and the shuttle picked us up promptly at 5:00 outside the hotel. The driver was friendly and knowledgeable on local history, and the shuttle was clean and well air conditioned.

Our first stop was Winewood, where we had 3 tastings, dinner and dessert. The three tastings were already poured for us, so there was no selection to be made. They sat us in a private room, the waiter was friendly and easy going, and the food was good.

Next was Su Vino, one of my favorites. Its a small venue but there is plenty of room at the bar for everyone, and the menu selection for tastings is fantastic. I love their summer wines! You get three tastings, and maybe a bit more if you're lucky!

Last we went to Homestead. The tastings are offered in a small house, but you can take your glasses outside and have a seat on the porch if you prefer. They had quite the assortment of wines, but tend to favor reds. Again, you get three pours, but no one was counting.

Afterwards, the shuttle took us back to our hotel, and gave us a wine opener and a bottle of water. All in all, we had a great night, and would book with this tour again!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We took the wine tour on Saturday the 18th and have some comments that will hopefully enhance the experience for someone else in the future.

The driver was very nice and funny and very knowledgeable. The shuttle was very clean and comfortable. We were picked up on time and had snacks and water available to us on the shuttle.

Our first stop was Homestead Winery. It was a cute quaint little cottage and the wine sampling was very good. Great variety. The hostess girls were very knowledgeable about the product. We enjoyed this stop very much.

The second stop was La Buena Vida. It was a very pretty place from what we saw. However we were told that they could not sell us any wine because they were under a renovation. Come to find out later they had lost their liquor license. It seemed a little rushed and the wine hostess was definitely not very versed in the product which apparently they don’t even make themselves. She also looked like she had walked in off the street and had not had time to change from her street clothes. A bit unprofessional.

The last and final stop was at the Winewood, the manager seating us was a little irate. He did not want to accommodate us and we all felt uncomfortable as we stood there trying to figure out what was going on and where we were going to sit. There was a bachelorette part of 16 or so who sat together and there was 5 of us that had no where to sit, so we stood there while the manager got snippy with the driver. We finally sat and the wine was already poured. We sampled the wine and they were terrible. The service was also horrible. Our waiter was aloof and was not friendly at all. Not sure if its because the tip is already included in the experience but really unpleasant. When we finally got some service and as the food came out they brought half the soup and left the others at our table without anything, so we had to get someone’s attention after 15 minutes or so of letting soup get cold while waiting for the remainder of the small group of 5 get served. We had to ask for the food, they had completely forgotten. We asked for bread and they nickel and dimed us on that. We asked for soda and that was an ordeal as well as it took forever to get that to us. When the food came 2 of us had chicken, 2 of us the ribs and I had the salmon. The ribs were good, the chicken was tasty but the grilled breast had a big piece of fatty skin on it that was inedible. The Salmon was not seasoned and tasted as if it had been thrown from the freezer to the oven. Not a good experience at all. The dessert was good but we were told it would have 2 scoops of ice-cream but came with one miniscule scoop the size of a cantaloupe scooper.

Needless to say, as an overall experience we were very very disappointed. I suggested this particular adventure for a girlfriend’s birthday, and I must say I was embarrassed and felt terrible that we had spent all that money for such a poor experience. We could have bought her a very nice present had we opted out of this tour. We are a vast group of girlfriends and we are always on the look out for these types of things to do as a group. I wont be suggesting this tour to anyone I know anytime soon. Not sure how they can redeem themselves other than changing the location of the dinner and making sure the wineries on the tour can actually sell the items being offered.

On a final note having staff that looks like they work there and not looking like they just walked off the street in their street clothes goes a long way in credibility and professionalism. There is something to be said about uniformity.

3  Thank MariposaCubana