“Happy Birthday to Me”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife of 30 years took me to Gaylord Texan for my 65 birthday. Big Wow factor. It was 95 degrees outside when we arived and when we steped inside this huge building, I found myself in what I called Paradise. It was 76 degrees inside. We spent two days inside exploring this wonderful hotel / resort before we ever step outside with the exception of the outdoor pool and the fire places that were lit at night. I mainly work outside in the Texas heat , so this was like heaven to me.
We are from Austin, Texas and while exploring the inside we saw a tree that looked like the Treaty Oak Tree in Austin. It was an exact duplecate of it. Simply amasing.The theme was like going to San Antonio with the replica of the Alamo, Mission Tower. and the SA river walk.
The food in every restaurant we ate at was excellent. We did not find anything wrong with their service, cleanleness or attitudes. We were to engulped with the hotel tjhat we didn't know about the nightclub that was detached from the hotel and on Lake Grapevine untill the day we checked out. They have a lazy river that was closed was our only disapointment of the whole experiance.
We saw previews of the Christmas decoration and ice exhibit and vowed to return around Christmas to enjoy this place again .We highly recomend this place to any person looking for a great experance, good food, great services,and a relaxing getaway.....

Room Tip: Any room on he atrim and the higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank usnavy69-75
Write a ReviewReviews (4,179)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful, but the Ice Exhibit was mediocre. The Ice Exhibit at the Gaylord Palms out does the Gaylord Texan. The Gaylord Texan did not have nearly the same amount of sculptures, even though the same amount of ice is used. The slide area is at the beginning of the exhibit, which backed up the lines and made for over crowding of areas. The Gaylord Palms takes care of their coats, and all the coats our party was handed had broken snaps and no pockets. There were many photo opportunities and fact posters along the way and at the end of ICE in Florida, where as in Texas, not so much. So this fellow Texan must go against the saying, "Everything is Bigger in Texas," because Florida does this exhibit the right way!

1  Thank Jenn Z
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had heard this place was really nice and with the expensive rooms and very expensive valet parking ($37 in the middle of nowhere Texas) upon arrival I was expecting a 4 or 5 star experience. That is not what this place is about.

The guest room quality and hotel service are on par with a Holiday Inn or Ramada, but the common area facilities are fantastic.

Pro:
Lots of things to do on site.
Great common facilities like gym, shopping, spa, exhibitions.
Several restaurants with varying themes.
Decorations - The place was very nicely decked out for Christmas.
Overcrowded - The place is huge, but so crowded it is hard to walk around. There are also long waits at the restaurants.

Cons:
Guest room quality - We could hear noises all night from rooms near us, a really annoying and constant noise from the elevator even though it wasn't close to us, and clicking in the pipes above us. The beds are very uncomfortable. The coffee in the guest rooms is cheap and gross.
Service - Quality is too variable. We had prefect and amazing service at the steakhouse, but at the Mexican restaurant we had a very friendly waitress who was slower than molasses in the winter. It took at least twenty minutes to do anything (refill a drink, get more salsa, etc). We spent over an hour and a half for lunch.
Food quality - I love expensive steakhouses, but this expensive steakhouse (~$40-$50 per steak with ala carte side) wasn't up to par with my previous experiences. They don't even serve prime beef. My steak was low on flavor (as would be expected with choice beef). The sides were just average. On the plus side the butter lettuce BLT wedge salad was great. The Texmex restaurant was mediocre at best. I had the tortilla soup. It tasted like it was from a mix, not fresh. Overall the quality was about like Taco Cabana, but at twice the price. I definitely recommend dining offsite. On the last day we cancelled our brunch reservation and went offsite.

The main problem I see with this hotel is a disconnect in price and product. They offer Holiday Inn quality product, but charge an Omni price.

Room Tip: Walls are thin and beds uncomfortable. Atrium view is nice but stay high.
1  Thank JayP1000
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This resort never disappoints! I usually end up at the Gaylord a few times each year. Starts with a friendly knowledgeable staff. Then the rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Walking through the Texas style atriums can be very relaxing as well as sitting on the balcony overlooking the atrium. I have used the spa services in the past as well as the new resort water park. It is all perfect everytime. The restaurants are a bit pricey but have always been delicious. The weekend brunch is a favorite. The location is close to shopping, airport, downtown Grapevine, and sightseeing.

Room Tip: Atrium view is best, then lakeview.
1  Thank AzaleaGirl
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Live in Fort Worth but chose to stay overnight with my husband for convenience as I'm attending a meeting here. Overpriced, loud. Worst service I've ever endured. Orders wrong at two different restaurants. Servers do not seem that they could care less about our concerns, requests. Base room rate absurd for what the rooms are then there are the 'resort fees' on top of that. I am certainly willing to pay for quality and service...neither of those exist here. My money has been wasted here...in retrospect I should have driven over here for the second day of the meeting and removed myself from this place. Never again. Cannot wait to check out and go home.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank emilymcl
GaylordTexanResort, Cutsomer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Emilymcl,

Thank you for providing your feedback towards your stay. I want to apologize about the inconveniences you experienced with the group rate and at our restaurant. Our group rates do close out prior arrival and our front desk team has to get approval at the time of check-in if there's availability to change the rate. I am extremly sorry this caused an issue during your check-in. In regards of the restaurant, I've passed on your information to the Zeppole team so we can improve our service. Please feel free to email me at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com so I can better assist you. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We went to the first night of ICE with the tree lighting at the Grapevine, TX location. Prices for pictures are outrageous. We were told ICE pictures were $35 and pictures with Santa were $55. By the time a family of four pays for ICE tickets and pictures, you could easily be out $200. Just beware if you go, they are bordering on price gouging.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mpgrandpa
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Large complex, with a number of bars, stores, restaurants, and sport facilities. Recently visited whilst the Hotel is preparing for Christmas. I am sure anybody staying over during Christmas will have a ball!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Craig K,

We are glad you were able to stay at our resort. Our Holiday decorations are completely finished and the lights around our atrium are already on. We hope you get to come back and visit us this holiday season. Thank you so much for your review and we hope you have a great day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 206 in Dallas

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!