“Gaylord Texan at Christmas”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Went to the Galord on November 16 courtesy of my Son and Daughter-in-Law. The minute I turned off the highway into the entrance I was awestruck by the enorimity of the resort. Self-parked in a multi-level garage. Went to the main entrance to check-in and was met by a greeter. Check-in was fast and efficient. Proceeded to the courtyard and observed the awesome Christmas displays. Premium room was on the 9th. floor overlooking the Courtyard. Went downstairs to various shops, displays, venues, restaurants. Ate dinner at the Zappole Italian Restaurant. Following dinner went to the Ice Show without reservations. At the entrance we were given large oversized parkas to proceed thru the Ice Sculptures in living color and at 9 degrees it was a great experience. Spent the evening visiting the shops and Christmas displays. On Sunday arranged a brunch at the Mexican Cantina. This was a large buffet with breakfast, lunch and dinner food alll in one setup. Able to extend checkout till 1 p.m. with no extra charge to enjoy the brunch. This was my first time at the Gaylord and looking forward to returning. There were many day visitors there with reduced parking to enjoy the Courtyard Christmas displays and the Ice Show.

Room Tip: Any upper level room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,185)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a wonderful time. Enjoyed the show and all the accompanying activities! The Mexican food in the restaurant was amazing! the decorations are unbelievable. Lots of fun for the kids. We stayed the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving last year. Well worth the family time and activities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

My new bride and I wanted to stay somewhere nice since we didn't have time to do our honeymoon right after our wedding. The Gaylord seemed like a great choice. We selected a room with an atrium view. The room was great, bed comfortable, and the staff incredibly courteous. The television controls were very awkward, however. The resort has its own television interface - like a guide - but it doesn't actually have show listings when you pull it up. All you'll find is a generic channel list, and if you venture into the "on-demand" section, the only things available are overpriced movies and free trailers, and free tv shows. No free movies. Bummer.

The spa, Relache, was great. We got massages in the morning. Mary and Carlos did a wonderful job.

We had room service as well. The prices, we thought, were a bit steep. The club sandwich was $15, plus a 21% service charge and a $4 delivery fee. After tip, it was almost $30. It was a killer sandwich.

The Glass Cactus was fun as well, and the live band did a good job of keeping the crowd moving.

Overall, our stay was amazing. I think this is the only time I could justify giving a score of five for a hotel that I've stayed at. Everything. Was. Perfect. I wish we'd had more time to spend there before getting back on the road.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The resort is a great place to stay. Was there for 5 nights for business. The staff is very accomodating. Was there as they were putting up all the Christmas decorations. It was beautiful. The rooms were very spacious

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Gaylord is a fantastic resort/hotel located in Grapevine. I love that there were so many types of people staying here. It appears that this hotel seems to cater to companies and the rewarding of hard working employees, so generally speaking there may be people who are guests that might not normally afford a littlehigher priced hotel, which I thought was great. The restaurants on premesis are average, and if you have been flown in through work and have no car, you will probably chose the places to eat that are right on campus. I had the breakfast buffet at the River Walk Cafe, and there was an omelette maker there and she really made a great omelette to my order. I did not have time to explore the area, but there was a Bass Pro Shop within walking distance.
The room I had was on the seventh floor and had a great view of the lake nearby. I did notice however that room service cart(s) have a tendancy to sit in the hallways for hours on end, if not all night. The coffee maker in the room was missing parts, so I could not make coffee in the morning. The rooms were very clean though, and the staff was super friendly. I have a feeling that this hotel gets a lot of folks who are going to the local sporting events such as NFL games, and NASCAR--fun!
I would recommend staying here...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan this past weekend for our anniversary. It was already decorated for Christmas. It was very busy but we were still able to walk around and see the sights. Everyone was very friendly. We ate at 2 of the restaurants. The Sports Bar restaurant was OK. The food wasn't that great but if you want to watch sports, there are plenty of TV's. The mexican restaurant was excellent. I was disappointed that the only breakfast was at the mexican restaurant and they only had a $22 Buffet on Sat. and Sun. The gym is very big and had up-to-date equipment. The room was nice with a pretty good size flat screen TV. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimi_in_Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife of 30 years took me to Gaylord Texan for my 65 birthday. Big Wow factor. It was 95 degrees outside when we arived and when we steped inside this huge building, I found myself in what I called Paradise. It was 76 degrees inside. We spent two days inside exploring this wonderful hotel / resort before we ever step outside with the exception of the outdoor pool and the fire places that were lit at night. I mainly work outside in the Texas heat , so this was like heaven to me.
We are from Austin, Texas and while exploring the inside we saw a tree that looked like the Treaty Oak Tree in Austin. It was an exact duplecate of it. Simply amasing.The theme was like going to San Antonio with the replica of the Alamo, Mission Tower. and the SA river walk.
The food in every restaurant we ate at was excellent. We did not find anything wrong with their service, cleanleness or attitudes. We were to engulped with the hotel tjhat we didn't know about the nightclub that was detached from the hotel and on Lake Grapevine untill the day we checked out. They have a lazy river that was closed was our only disapointment of the whole experiance.
We saw previews of the Christmas decoration and ice exhibit and vowed to return around Christmas to enjoy this place again .We highly recomend this place to any person looking for a great experance, good food, great services,and a relaxing getaway.....

Room Tip: Any room on he atrim and the higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank usnavy69-75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 207 in Dallas

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!