“Don't EVER Valet...incredibly slow and overpriced” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Dallas,
“Don't EVER Valet...incredibly slow and overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our stay at the hotel was fine. It's overpriced and gimmicky, but that's to be expected. I have no problem with that...

My problem is paying $30 a day for valet, calling 15 minutes before we were ready to leave so as to give them plenty of time to get the car and have it warming up given it was 40 degrees outside and then showing up to find that they have done nothing. I got to the valet desk only to find that they hadn't requested my car...and didn't care. The girl behind the glass wall was unapologetic as she knew I called earlier. She mumbled something and then pushed my keys through a hole and said my car would be up in a little while. More than 20 minutes later my car still hadn't arrived... I was not happy as I was now going to be late. More so there was a lull in the cars out front so it became very obvious that they had forgotten again... I went up and was not as graceful asking when I would get it as they had plenty of time. They jumped a little more this time, but it still took another 10 minutes and my car was ice cold on the inside when they pulled up. All in all is was a horrible experience with a company that doesn't train employees on service and has grown big enough that apparently they don't care. I called to let them know of my experience and after more than 5 minutes on hold (per my cell phone) I finally hung up.

Don't waste your time. There are way too many other options.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Godsdivan
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Godsdivan,

Thank you for providing your feedback in regards of your valet experience. On behalf of Gaylord Texan I want to apologize about the delay on getting your car. I passed on this information to our TownePark manager to review with his team. I am aware you wanted to let the hotel know about your concerns. Please email me directly at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com so I can better assist you. Thank you again for your feedback as this will help us improve our service. Have a wonderful day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ogden, UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I ended up there because of a terrible ice storm that shut down DFW. I got there late and was greeted by many loud drunkards in the lobby. The front desk person was nice but would not negotiate a rate with me. I was stuck there and maybe she knew it. The whole place is decorated very nicely but I got a feeling they want to nickel and dime the guests to death with all the extra attractions and such. This is fine if thats what you like. the displays were amazing. Rooms were very clean and average sq ft. Overall, if this was a great place to stay but maybe not for business travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Skyburner
Skyburner,

We are glad you are safe from the Ice storm the DFW area experienced. Thank you so much for providing your feedback towards your stay. We do apologize for the occurrences you had at our lobby. We want to make sure all of our guests are safe and have a wonderful time. We will make sure our team is aware of this incident so we can review our procedures at the lobby. If you have any questions about your stay feel free to email us at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com and we will be lad to help. Thank you for staying with us.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed for three nights recently when I was in town for business, including meetings in the hotel on two of the days. If you are looking for quiet and peaceful, this is not the place for you. In addition to the various people staying at the hotel, there are a lot of people that visit the hotel to take pictures, enjoy the holiday decor and the ICE exhibit. If you are looking for lots of options and great meeting space, The Gaylord Texas is a great choice. Each guest is given a detailed map of the property and there are signs along the way, which help in navigating through the twists and turns. While I visited each of the restaurants (except the Italian themed restaurant), I was most impressed with the catering during our meetings which included breakfast, lunch and snacks. The resort restaurants were fine, but not outstanding. The ICE exhibit was interesting, but pricey. The room was nice and included two bottles of water each day. I did ask to have my Marriott rewards number added to my reservation at check-in, and it wasn't done. When I asked them the second time, it was taken care of right away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Darci M
Darci M,

Thank you for staying at our resort this past week and letting us know your experience. We are glad you enjoyed the catering for your convention and the decorations around the resort. We are pleased to know your room was satisfying to your needs. Your information will help us improve with details in our guests stay. Please feel free to email us at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you have further questions. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Great place… you never need to leave. There is an amazing sports bar, with Texas sized TVs. There is a night club with a free shuttle (it's not inside the complex). There is an Italian restaurant and a couple of walk up type places to eat. The rooms are nice. I recommend getting an inside room. It's very much like being at Disneyland. I highly doubt I will go back to Texas, but I suppose if I did, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cyndi M
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is the second year we have spent Thanksgiving at The Gaylord. We invited family to join us this year and had 2 rooms. The rooms are very nice, no complaints there. We had the Thanksgiving Buffet again in the ballroom. It is massive, the food offerings are from traditional to sushi. All delicious. A little disappointed in the dessert offerings, no traditional Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie. We had purchased tickets thru Gaylord for transportation to the Cowboy Game. We made the same arrangements last year and waited on the bus 15 minutes for it to leave. This year we arrived 7 minutes late and the buses had left. Ok, we were 7 minutes late, but you had my name as a hotel guest, you had my cell # when I made the reservation. The game started in 2 hours. I spoke with transportation, they advised to take a taxi, which we did. I told them we would just ride the bus back and was told that was not an option. They would have already sold my seats because they had a waiting list. I ask for a refund if they sold my seats and was told that was not an option. I paid $140 for transportation and felt it was not fair to offer a refund. So sadly, our stay did not end on a happy note.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy E Smith
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Judy E,

Thank you for staying with us during the Thanksgiving holiday. We value your opinion and we are glad you took the time to provide your feedback towards our brunch and transportation. On behalf of Gaylord Texan we want to apologize about the inconvenience you experienced. I passed on your information to our transportation manager to review with his team this information. To better assist you please feel free to email me directly at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I took our 4 year old daughter for the start of the Christmas festivities. Everything throughout the resort was decorated beautifully! We went through the ICE exhibit and it was amazing. Such beautiful sculptures from the Nutcracker Ballet. Extremely COLD (8°) so be sure and bring hat, scarves, and mittens in addition to just a coat. They do provide big coats for all sizes upon entering as well. Just beware parents - the exit is through a HUGE gift shop! More $$$$ out the door. We did the Kung Fu Panda snow tubing and our daughter LOVED it! You can ride single or double but you do have to carry your own tubes to the top of each slide so my arms felt like they were going to fall off by the end! We also did the Decorating with GINGY. It was a little different than I expected. You were just given your gingerbread house kit (or whatever you purchased) and did it on your own. No one helped you and GINGY wasn't a part of all that. You just got to go say hi and take a picture with him. Definitely not worth the money - go buy your own kit for much less and do it at home. Overall the rooms are nothing spectacular - just your average hotel room at a MUCH higher price. I would recommend staying elsewhere that's a lot cheaper and just coming to the Gaylord for the days activities. Also, the restaurants in the resort are average as well and WAY overpriced (and only one is really kid friendly). I would also recommend going to historic downtown Grapevine (5 minutes down the road) and eating at much better places and much lower prices. You also have to pay for parking at the resort. My opinion is if you are a hotel guest, that should be FREE. One last thing - but it's a big one that NO ONE mentioned to me until we were almost done. They take pictures at EVERY event - ICE, GINGY, Santa, and then around the resort (just like at a theme park). We had already purchased a picture at ICE and our daughters pictures with Santa. Then we went to look at a picture they took of us as a family around the resort and ONLY then was I told you could purchase the USB drive and get pictures from ANY of the other events put on it for WAY cheaper than buying each individually. I was NOT very happy about that. It's basically a BIG racquet to make money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sunshineintexas
Sunshineintexas,

We thank you for staying at our resort and providing your feedback towards your stay. It is great news to us your family enjoyed your stay at our resort. Your expereince with Gingy will be passed to our team to review new procedures on how to make the experience better. We hope you get to come back soon!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I were in Fort Worth for the Baylor/TCU game the weekend of 11/30/13. We decided to stay at this hotel for two nights to enjoy the Christmas décor and lights before driving back to Tulsa. We have visited it previously but never stayed. Marriot had advertised a special weekend rate for that particular weekend with possibility of free upgrade, if available. When we checked in, I was told that since the occupancy that Sun. night was only 23%, we would gladly be given an upgrade to the Lone Star tower in an atrium corner room, which was the "favorite" room of the gentleman who checked us in. We were delighted with the large room and the view from our balcony was fabulous! Unlike other reviews I've read, we had no problem with noise from the atrium area, possibly due to the fact that the two nights we stayed were not busy for the resort. We only ate one meal at the hotel and that was at Riverwalk Cantina. Service was great but the meal was disappointing. If we had not received a special rate for the two nights, we would probably have only visited the resort and stayed at another hotel. When you add up the resort fee of $18 plus tax daily and the self-parking fee of $17 plus tax daily, the trip does become very pricey. Eating in any of the restaurants is also expensive. If money is not an issue and walking a long way from the parking garage and then to your room does not bother you, then this place is definitely worth staying in for an enjoyable trip during the weeks that it is decorated for Christmas. Gorgeous!

Room Tip: A corner atrium in the Lone Star Tower is great! I think there are only six of those rooms. If you...