“Huge Conference & Convention Center with Recreational Pluses”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Gaylord Texan is about 15 minutes from Dallas-Ft. Worth airport off by itself. It sits on a huge piece of property with multiple facilities including a pool/outdoor rec area open in the summer and a night club with open decks overlooking Lake Grapevine. The hotel and conference center itself is huge. The central atrium enclosure contains several restaurants and many open walkways. This bio-dome type set up is excellent for cold weather because guests can move freely a feeling of open space and light from business to social events without concern. Many of the rooms overlook the atrium with balconies that open to the center. The restaurants were decent and spacious inside. The conference center can accommodate very large meetings without a problem and room to spare. Some of the meeting rooms have balconies which is nice for a more open feel. The beds were incredibly comfortable and rooms quiet. The staff was super helpful and friendly. Do be aware that room keys seem to be more sensitive and blank out more than normal. Be very careful to keep your room key away from cell phones and credit cards - even then you will have probably have to have it re-set. Not sure why. Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: If you want fresh, outdoor air I would suggest asking for an outward facing room on a higher level...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,240)

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed four nights for a Work Conference. I was very disappointed in the food and service...with some shining stars at the concierge. the rooms are nice but average. if you can ask for a few of the outside instead of a balcony looking into the dome.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank edubbs5
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here for a conference. The property is very large with a center atrium area that gives the appearance that you are outside - in reality it's like you are in the biodome. Rooms are good size but walls are very thin - heard next door conversations every morning. Beds were comfortable. Enjoyed the small balcony overlooking the center atrium. Bathrooms were very spacious. Only real complaint is the food quality. Food was average at best. Not a lot of variety and not the greatest quality. Food improvement could raise the level of the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I traveled to the Gaylord Texan to attend a work conference.

First things first, this is a very beautiful property. Once you get past the front desk/lobby area and into the atrium, it is amazing to see the size and scope of the hotel. There are several restaurants/bars, a coffee shop, several gift shops, as well as a water park. There are also lots of walkable areas. The downside to this, the hotel wants for its guests to utilize all these facitlies on property that it makes it nearly impossible to leave the hotel to any real walkable areas unless you have a rental car or want to take the hotel shuttle which goes to the historic district. The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere.

The conference facilities and staff are fantastic! Kudos to all the banquet and kitchen staff. Meeting facilities were excellent. Setup and menus for our meals and receptions were creative and top quality. The banquet staff were polite and always were a step ahead in taking care of their guests. This team really is an exemplary example of what the hospitality industry should strive for.

In contrast to the service provided by Convention staff, the service at the front desk was atrocious! It all began at check-in. I walked up to the front desk and could hear two front desk clerks engrossed in personal conversation. They looked up, saw me, but continued conversing for a few minutes. Finally, one acknowledged me, waved me over, and began checking me in, all the while continuing her personal conversation about her weekend with her counterpart.

Every time I stopped by the front desk to ask a question, the staff was pretty clueless and not very helpful. On the morning of my check out, I called the front desk to ask for clean towels. I waited over 2 hours to get them. I even called the front desk and asked if I could pick them up myself and they said no. This was very annoying considering I was trying to get ready for an early flight.

All in all, average room, superb conference facilities and service, horrible front desk staff, out of the way location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Accompanied my husband to a work related conference for the weekend. The resort is beautiful and clean. The staff friendly and eager to serve. The beds....the beds are the worst. The mattresses themselves were just super uncomfortable. The linens; they use all flat sheets, one draped over the mattress untucked, and one for the top and bottom of the comforter instead of using a duvet cover. It was a very tangled mess. Comforter was crinkly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

1beachl0vr,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your feedback towards your stay. We are glad both you and your husband enjoyed your stay at our resort. In regards if the beds, we are working on getting better amenities to our rooms and your feedback will help us improve our beds. Thank you again for your review and we hope you have a great day.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This hotel is luxurious and very fun. Plenty of restaurants, wine bar, coffee shop and things to do all with the Texas decor which is interesting coming from Hawaii. I was here for a real estate tech conference but got here early so I could try out the spa. I had a wonderful massage and foot scrub. The spa is top-notch with steam, sauna, relaxation rooms. There is a large heated indoor pool that is fabulous so I could do my laps.
The Sports Bar, called the TEXAN STATION has a huge massive TV 52 ft wide and over 50 tall and plenty of seating and great food. The whole place is under a dome so you are going through gardens and water ways in a warmer climate than outside. We are having our end of conference party at the GLASS CACTUS which I hear is a awesome nightclub. Stay tuned!

Cindi M,

Thank you so much for staying at our resort! We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you had fun at the Galss Cactus. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have attended a conference here in the past and this hotel is visually stunning. I was here 6 years later and it was still very nice. I had a newly renovated room facing the atrium and it was awesome. I wish I had more time here, but it was short due to a meeting. Everything went smoothly at check-in and we had a catered dinner the night of arrival. The food was tasty as well. I also used the gym and it was well equipped. Overall, loved everything.

Room Tip: atrium views

Vicky D,

Thank you so much for staying at our resort and providing your feedback in regards of your stay. We are extremely excited to know you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you get to come back soon! Thank you again!