“Great resort with nearby shopping”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
DFW
“Great resort with nearby shopping”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Gaylord for a Convention and was pleased with everything hte Hotel had to offer. The rooms were impeccable and spacious . Walking around the lush, beautiful indoor grounds throughout the hotel was enjoyable and relaxing. Very relaxing and would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Cindi0411,

Thank you for your review! Our team is pleased to know you had a wonderful stay during your convention. We hope you get to come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ingram, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my second time to stay and this resort and I have to say that it has improved since it was bought by Marriott. My room in the Hill Country section appeared to have remodeled recently and was very comfortable. The room was overlooking the Atrium with fountains and waterfalls so it was very comforting. I understand from others that stayed at the resort that some of the hotel has not been renovated so I guess that they are taking it one section at a time.

There are 4 restaurants at the resort, an Italian restaurant, a steakhouse, a barbeque place and the main breakfast area is a Mexican restaurant. The food is good, for the most part, although a little pricey. My biggest complaint is that the only restaurant where you can get breakfast is at the Mexican restaurant with limited "normal" choices. It was particularly disturbing when on Saturday and Sunday, the only thing they offer is a buffet for $34!!!! Outrageous!

Room Tip: Ask for an Atrium view.
Debbie L,

Thank you for staying at our resort. We are also glad to know you enjoyed your room and the view. We appreciate your feedback in regards of our food and beverage outlets as this will help us improve our service. I passed this to our food and beverage manager to review with our team your experience with us. Thank you again for your feedback and hope you have great day!
Fort Worth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is supposed to be a great convention hotel, but I just don't like it. For starters the parking area is a good walk from the hotel entrance & expansive & expensive. The rooms are just bland, not much to them. The indoor atrium area is cheesy and the restaurants are very expensive. Pool area is OK - and the Sunday Brunch is excellent but very expensive. It s an all inclusive hotel for conventions with a nice convention hall - personally I like conventions where I can get out and see the city - not be held captive and you are pretty much captive with hotel food at expensive prices.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
BogDogWillie,

Thank you for staying at our resort during your convention. On behalf of Gaylord Texan I would like to apologize our resort and location was not to your satisfaction. We appreciate your review as this will assist us in making our guests' stays better. Thank you again, for taking the time to write this review and hope you have a great day.
Onlaska
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We held a meeting for 25 business executives here. Everyone enjoyed the closeness to the airport. It is a very spacious hotel with an atrium you can get lost in. Catering food was wonderful and Old Hickory Steakhouse has the best steaks and service!

Room Tip: Rooms can be far from your meeting space so be sure to ask to be located near your meeting space if...
Green Features: Good use of natural lighting with their atrium that is filled with plants and trees and runny water.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
duckeeeee,

Thank your for having your meetings at our resort and providing your feedback! We are so glad to know you enjoyed our Catering amenities as well as our Old Hickory Steakhouse. Hope you all get to come back!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Flying for business 150,000 miles a year comes with the probability that you'll end up on a cancelled flight and stuck in a city for the evening. For me and most recently, that happened in Dallas. Nasty storms created a series of delays and cancellations that led to me searching for a hotel. As the typical airport hotels are sold out due to these cancellations, I pulled up the Marriott app and booked a room at the Gaylord Texan. It was seemingly close by the airport and had rooms available.

As the Texan does not offer shuttle service, I grabbed an Uber car and it dropped me off at the main entrance. To say this place is grand and truly Texan is an understatement.

After a short wait for which the Check In Agent apologized for, I offered up my credit card and room information. The clerk sensed I had a long day and combined with my Platinum status, offered up a comp upgrade to a Deluxe Suite.

Then he handed me "the map". When a hotel has a map, you know it's huge and the Texan is massive. It is a resort and that unfortunately comes with a fee attached. Resort fees are IMO unnecessary and a turnoff. Just charge more and include the fee in your rate! They do nothing but annoy people. The fee included internet which I get free as a Platinum member anyway so it was useless and a money grab at that point. I expect a fee in Vegas because that is a resort kinda place but Grapevine Texas? No. Just like any resort, the bars and restaurants were not cheap as they expect you to stay on property. I can see this being an interesting convention option.

After I navigated the hallways to find my elevator, I quickly found my room. The hallways are fairly well lit and very chic looking. Once in the room, I was flabbergasted by the size. The living room featured a seating area with a TV and a dining room table. The decor is very upscale. Walking back towards the bedroom, I saw the out of scale bathroom. A single sink + a tub shower doesn't seem right for a suite. Where's the standup shower?

Once in the massive bedroom, I found a desk with a few power plugs (still not enough for me honestly), a chair and a comfy bed.

I checked a few things on the internet and found it to be spotty at best. The signal quality of the wifi in my room was dropping out or low the entire time (4th floor).

After a solid nights rest, I left the next morning to DFW airport using the Super Shuttle van that was available for ~$12 with tip.

Pros:
Location
Bed
Staff
Elite Recognition for Marriott Rewards members
Decor

Cons:
Resort Fee
Lack of power plugs
Weak Wifi signal

I recommend that people check this hotel out but with reservations knowing ahead of time that this hotel is a resort and comes with a fee attached.

Shane M,

Thank you for being a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and for staying at our resort due to your cancelled flight . We do appreciate your detailed review towards your stay. This will help us know the services we can improve on, to better satisfy our guests. I did pass on your review to the I.T director to verify our Wi-Fi signal. I want to apologize you were not able to enjoy all the amenities included with the resort fee. It does include Wi-Fi in the room, 2 water bottles in the refrigerator, access to our indoor and outdoor pools, access to our fitness center and the wrist band to our Paradise Springs pool open for this summer. I hope you get to come back to fully enjoy our resort. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This beautiful hotel is conveniently located near DFW airport. Well manicured grounds and facility. Several nice restaurants located within. Balcony rooms available facing inner atrium. The staff was top notch and very friendly. Would definitely stay again. Be advised, parking and resort fee are not included in advertised rates.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott S,

Thank you for staying at our resort! We appreciate your feedback towards your stay and we are glad you had an amazing time. We hope you get to visit us soon!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here during the Final Four and was very impressed with how the resort was laid out and the quietness of the rooms. Overall accommodations were top notch (for $300 a night they should be). Beautiful grounds and well maintained. Staff very nice and helpful. Would recommend it again even though it was semi-pricey.

Room Tip: Some really good restaurants are within 5 miles of resort.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hombre-15,

Thank you for staying at our resort during the Final Four NCAA games. We are so excited you had a wonderful time during your visit in DFW. Hopefully you get to come back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 203 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,225 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!