“Great hotel stay during World of Work conference”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great hotel stay during World of Work conference”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is located in Grapevine on the lake and out of town and away from any attractions so if you stay here you will need a car to drive to places, however, the purpose of this visit was for a conference so it was great as the conference venue is right on the doorstep. Nice little shops and restaurants in the property. Also used the shuttle bus to the shopping centres which makes a stop every hour.

Room Tip: My room was facing the sports bar restaurant in the atrium and it was perhaps not so private as I wo...
Green Features: Not sure about this as I did not notice anything in particular
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Minda B,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review online. We are so glad the World at Work conference was at our hotel this year! We do hope you get to visit Texas again and stay at our resort. Hope you have a lovely day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan for a conference, and arrived a few days early to see some of Texas. Check in was quick and efficient, I asked for a room with a view and got a west facing room over the outdoor pool. Ate in the hotel a couple nights, the Mexican and sports bar restaurants were busy, but service was efficient and friendly. Food was tasty. A short walk to the convention space was appreciated after the long days. The only issue I had was the Tuesday, with housekeeping. I had a short break, so I went to the room to catch up on emails. Housekeeping had not been there yet. I stayed for a half hour, then left. Came back after 4 pm and they still hadn't cleaned the room. They never did service my room that day, even when I was gone all evening. Other than that, the staff were friendly and helpful.

C-Lazy-S,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review in regards of your stay at our hotel. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I would like to apologize about your room not being serviced on one of the days you stayed. I was able to pass this information to our housekeeping team, to review procedures to avoid this miss again. We are glad to know our STARS were friendly and attentive during your stay. We hope you have a wonderful day.
Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Gaylord Hotel is a luxury hotel with plenty to do, for the whole family--however, it is pricey. They have a wonderful Sunday all-you-can-eat brunch--although it's very expensive. The Glass Cactus nightclub is on the property and overlooks Lake Grapevine. It is really fun, and the age range is 30's-50's. If you run a tab there--buyer beware--you will get overcharged. Pay for drinks as you go.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank momtomonkeys
momtomonkeys,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you enjoyed the Riverwalk Cantina Brunch and the Glass Cactus. We hope you get to come back soon!
Kirton in Lindsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This resort is massive no other word for it, and i usually find the larger the hotel the less personal, however not this one, the staff are fantastic to say the least nothing is too much trouble, rooms are what you expect from a hotel of the quality.
3-4 restaurants all serving good food, sports bar is a dream if you like sport of course, has a good pool and a water park for the kids, and night club also.
Worth a visit for sure.

1 Thank Derek S
Derek S,

Thank you for your review! Our team is pleased to know you had a great time with your family. We do hope you get to come back soon. Have a great day.
Orem, Utah
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been to dozens of conferences and conventions over the years. The Gaylord Texan is one of the better "convention center hotels" I have stayed in. The room was fairly spacious and I loved the private balcony. The atrium is quite unique and a great place to explore. The convention amenities were very nice, including the food. Staff was nice and the swimming options stellar.

A few things did not add up well. First, the on-site parking is very expensive and a decent distance from the lobby. Second, the on-site store is very overpriced. You expect to pay a premium for a soda or snack at a hotel, but they are charging triple average retail on most convenience food items.

Overall, a fantastic stay and a very cool place to hold a convention (or vacation with the kids due to all the swimming options and proximity to numerous sights and tourist attractions).

Room Tip: The atrium view is fantastic, but be warned there is a lot of night life in the atrium - choose a di...
Jim I,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your business and we are glad to know you were satisfied during your conference. Your feedback in regards of the parking prices and retail outlets, has been passed to our management team to review on how we can improve to satisfy our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you get to come back soon!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've stayed at this property many times and I really like the rooms and facilities (perfect for a conference), but the property comes with some annoyances that I keeping hoping will be addressed. Namely, the parking. If you self-park, to get out, you need to swipe your room key...and every time it fails to work. You then have to sit for five minutes while they get your name and room number and check with the front desk. Or, like today, the attendant just took my room key. How am I supposed to get back in my room? It's an all-around poor system. The hotel location also feels like your'e on an island, so get a car. The rooms are by and large spacious, but I've noticed through the years that the suites really vary. They're tastefully decorated for the area. The only drawback being that if you get lucky enough to sleep in, they ruin it with the atrium music.

The other things that are ridiculous and easily fixable have to do with their Paradise Springs pool. Yesterday, I took the kids and while I had sunblock, I thought the spray might be easier with the kids. The cashier said the cheapest bottle they had was $20, and rolled his eyes as if to say, "Yeah, insane." I get making a little money, but to gouge guests for a produce that keeps them safe and ensures their enjoyment is out of bounds. Mark up the wine, but not the sunblock! Also, after an hour of sitting by the pool and studying the menu, I hadn't seen hide nor hair of a server--and I wasn't the only one looking perturbed. So, I volunteered to go to the bar and find someone...who then took an hour to deliver each and every watery drink that followed. I asked for the check, which also took forever to receive! In all honestly, I don't complain much, and I hardly drink, but yesterday with the kids I thought I'd splurge. I'm tiny, two drinks and you could knock me over...and after two of the pool cocktails I was stone cold sober. I will say the poolside food was well done!

I'm a Marriott Platinum member and I do lots of stays each year. This is a great property for conferences, just be aware their are drawbacks, and if you're the property manager, you really need to up your service game!

3 Thank toasty
Toasty,

Thank you for your feedback in regards of your stay at our hotel. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I would like to apologize about the incidents you experienced with the sunblock prices and the delayed service at paradise Springs. With your feedback, our team is able to take immediate action and review the issues experienced, to improve our services for all of our guests. Please feel free to email me at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

4 nights in an atrium view room attending a conference also on-sight.

The Gaylord has a Vegas-esue feel about it. The massive atrium with its fountains, bridges, piped music and paths is really attracive however. The room was fine, super-big bathjroom. A colleague had a more modernized room with less heacy wood furniture so I guess they are progressively renovating. The only issue with the atrium view is a lot of noise carries upwards and the music doesn't turn off until 11pm,

You've got a number of dining choices here and the Glass Cactus club is great. Fitness club was fine, everything you need and the 2 pools (didn't get to Paradise Springs) looked good also. Staff were proffesional abd courteous but the best feature here was the short walk to the convention hall which made getting to/from the room super-easy.

The only negative is the way the Super Shuttle guys "attack" you on exit from the hotel. I wanted to grab a taxi but they convinced me they'd leave straight away and get me to DFW on-time. Wasn't to be. Anyway boarded the van which was then held back to cram another 2 people in.

After navigating the quick trip to the airport it transpired that the 2 guys next to me were told they would be going direct to Love airport. They weren't happy. Guy did not remember my stop so had to tell him again. On exit told me he can only take cash despite having Visa, MasterCard and Amex logos everywhere inside the van. Said I had no cash (and same for the lady getting off at the same terminal with me). Finally he got his Square reader out and begrudgingly took my card but without adding a $1 as a surcharge. Clearly this guy had zero customer service skills, was a liar and was just out to get the maximum $ per pax. He also left me miles from the United entrance "just walk up the stairs and turn left"......

The Gaylord engagement should monitor and speak to these on-site operators as it was the only negative on a great visit.

1 Thank ZiggyNZ
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
ZiggyNZ,

Thank you so much for visiting our hotel and your review online. Our team is pleased to know you enjoyed your room and the amenities at the hotel. I would like to apologize about the service issue you experienced with Super Shuttle. I will pass this along to their team, so they are aware of the service provided to you. Hopefully when you're in the area we hope you get to stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 203 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,214 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!