First, I want to point out that I searched for a contact for someone at the hotel to email regarding our disappointment in our stay at the Gaylord Texan 5/24-5/26, 2014, but I was unable to find any such contact information. We were extremely disappointed with our stay. Although the hotel is beautiful in all of its grandeur, and the people are friendly, it became clear very early on that the staff has been trained to not go above and beyond in any way or accommodate any special occasion without seriously "nickel and diming" its guests to death. My birthday was on 5/24, the day we checked in, and we got married on 5/25 and this stay was for my bridesmaids (two teenage girls) and me on 5/24 and for my husband and me on our wedding night on 5/25. Very special occasion which I made sure to tell every person I spoke with at the hotel. The morning of 5/24, I called the resort to find out if there were a place that about five of us could get ready for the wedding on Sunday. I explained that we would only need 2-3 hours and that even a common area would be acceptable. The person I spoke with was very friendly and apologetic when she told me there was nothing they could do. She said "I checked with everyone about upgrading you to a suite" but we can't do it. I asked if they were sold out, and she told me "Yes, we are sold out of suites." She said if we needed a place to get ready, we would have to pay for a second room for the night. When I checked into the hotel, I spoke with concierge and explained my phone call earlier to see if there was anything she could do. She said she would check and call me within the hour which she did. She said all she could do would be upgrade us to one type of suite for $150/night or a different type for $200/night. When I asked if they were sold out of suites, she said they had plenty of suites left. Red flag. I don't appreciate being lied to and feeling manipulated or patronized.
Later, my stepdaughters called to surprise us by paying to upgrade us to a suite, but the hotel would not let them because they said they would have to upgrade us for both nights we were at the hotel or not at all. In addition, Sunday, my wedding day (which I informed them of) the room was not even made up. We had to call for towels and to have the room made up. It felt as if they were unaccommodating at every single turn.
This hotel claims to want to help people celebrate special occasions, but my husband and I both feel that the hotel experience was the only mistake within our entire wedding weekend. We are low-key people, and our wedding was quite informal on a patio at a small winery in Grapevine, so we were not looking for room to put on elaborate gowns or have hair and make-up people come in. We just needed a little extra space for a couple of hours, and even when family attempted to surprise us with this (and pay for it) they refused. It seems a shame that such a large company would not want to at least try to accommodate its guests in this day and age of social media.
We will never spend another dime at this hotel. Yes, the lobby is beautiful. But at a very high price. On a weekend when we should have been made to feel special, we were treated as absolute insignificant beings.
Date Stayed: May 2014
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You'll arrive through a ranch-style archway surrounded by rolling pastureland. Along the way, rugged canyon walls rise steadily to frame your first glimpse of the breathtaking new Gaylord. Sitting high on a bluff overlooking the glistening waters of Lake Grapevine, just eight minutes from D/FW International Airport, this awe-inspiring resort welcomes you to an authentic Texas experience. From the colorful Riverwalk and wide-open Texas Hill Country to the aura of Southwest-style architecture and the majestic Rio-Grande, its all here under our signature glass dome. Here, we offer state-of-the-art convention and meeting facilities, endless entertainment, World-class spa & fitness center, lavish guest rooms and our tradition of unsurpassed hospitality. Everything in on place so you can have it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Texan Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord Texan Hotel Grapevine
- Gaylord Texas Resort
- Gaylord Texas Hotel
- The Gaylord Texan
- Gaylord Texan Grapevine
- Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center Grapevine, Texas
- Gaylord Grapevine