“Very Happy”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Louisville, Kentucky
“Very Happy”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for a convention and was quite pleased. The resort features an indoor/outdoor pool, multiple restaurants, various shops, etc. The rooms were clean and well decorated, and very comfortable. They do upcharge you if you want a better view, etc., but I was very pleased with my room at the standard rate. The staff were helpful and friendly, and I enjoyed seeing their places of origin on their badges. Overall I was very pleased. Don't miss the vineyard and the outdoor chimneys!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Gulielmus4,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review online. Our team strives to provide a comfortable environment for all our guests. We are so happy to know the service from our STARS was to your satisfaction. We hope you get to visit soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First, I want to point out that I searched for a contact for someone at the hotel to email regarding our disappointment in our stay at the Gaylord Texan 5/24-5/26, 2014, but I was unable to find any such contact information. We were extremely disappointed with our stay. Although the hotel is beautiful in all of its grandeur, and the people are friendly, it became clear very early on that the staff has been trained to not go above and beyond in any way or accommodate any special occasion without seriously "nickel and diming" its guests to death. My birthday was on 5/24, the day we checked in, and we got married on 5/25 and this stay was for my bridesmaids (two teenage girls) and me on 5/24 and for my husband and me on our wedding night on 5/25. Very special occasion which I made sure to tell every person I spoke with at the hotel. The morning of 5/24, I called the resort to find out if there were a place that about five of us could get ready for the wedding on Sunday. I explained that we would only need 2-3 hours and that even a common area would be acceptable. The person I spoke with was very friendly and apologetic when she told me there was nothing they could do. She said "I checked with everyone about upgrading you to a suite" but we can't do it. I asked if they were sold out, and she told me "Yes, we are sold out of suites." She said if we needed a place to get ready, we would have to pay for a second room for the night. When I checked into the hotel, I spoke with concierge and explained my phone call earlier to see if there was anything she could do. She said she would check and call me within the hour which she did. She said all she could do would be upgrade us to one type of suite for $150/night or a different type for $200/night. When I asked if they were sold out of suites, she said they had plenty of suites left. Red flag. I don't appreciate being lied to and feeling manipulated or patronized.

Later, my stepdaughters called to surprise us by paying to upgrade us to a suite, but the hotel would not let them because they said they would have to upgrade us for both nights we were at the hotel or not at all. In addition, Sunday, my wedding day (which I informed them of) the room was not even made up. We had to call for towels and to have the room made up. It felt as if they were unaccommodating at every single turn.

This hotel claims to want to help people celebrate special occasions, but my husband and I both feel that the hotel experience was the only mistake within our entire wedding weekend. We are low-key people, and our wedding was quite informal on a patio at a small winery in Grapevine, so we were not looking for room to put on elaborate gowns or have hair and make-up people come in. We just needed a little extra space for a couple of hours, and even when family attempted to surprise us with this (and pay for it) they refused. It seems a shame that such a large company would not want to at least try to accommodate its guests in this day and age of social media.

We will never spend another dime at this hotel. Yes, the lobby is beautiful. But at a very high price. On a weekend when we should have been made to feel special, we were treated as absolute insignificant beings.

Date Stayed: May 2014

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Kim B
Kim B,

On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I would like to apologize about the inconvenience you experienced during your wedding day. Please email me directly at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com so I can better assist you. Looking forward to your email. Hope you have a great day!
OVILLA
Reviewed 8 June 2014

From the valet parking to the check in. This is truly a stellar property. Extremely large, so everything is a hike. But truly amazing around every corner. Lovely guest rooms and wonderful restaurants. Fireworks on Friday night. The grounds are beautiful and the services are perfect. Each member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Amazing!

Room Tip: The atrium rooms look over the river walk and have balconies.
Green Features: Recycle bins everywhere, towel service can be delayed if you like.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rgentrydal,

Thank you for staying at our resort. We are extremely glad you had an amazing stay this summer! Hope you come back soon!
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed six nights at the Gaylord Texan - Almost never left the resort complex. The hotel has excellent food, a an on-site club, a very professional series of meeting/convention facilities, and the friendliest staff in Texas.

Marriott does a nice job managing, with very helpful housekeeping staff that do a very nice job with a smile. I recommend the Hills Tower. Great views, and on the quiet side of the hotel. Lots of kids on-site had a great time, and they have a wide variety of shops and price points.

The breakfast at the River-walk Cantina was especially delicious. The Texas sized Alamo and River-walk areas are a trip through Texas history without leaving the resort.

Room Tip: Hills Tower is quiet but a good walk form the convention center area.
Johnny Rebo007,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your feedback! I am so glad during your 6 day stay you never had a dull moment and enjoyed it. I passed your comments to our management team to recognize our Housekeeping, Riverwalk Cantina and Texan Stations STARS for their amazing job! Hopefully you get to come back soon!
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is located in Grapevine on the lake and out of town and away from any attractions so if you stay here you will need a car to drive to places, however, the purpose of this visit was for a conference so it was great as the conference venue is right on the doorstep. Nice little shops and restaurants in the property. Also used the shuttle bus to the shopping centres which makes a stop every hour.

Room Tip: My room was facing the sports bar restaurant in the atrium and it was perhaps not so private as I wo...
Green Features: Not sure about this as I did not notice anything in particular
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Minda B,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review online. We are so glad the World at Work conference was at our hotel this year! We do hope you get to visit Texas again and stay at our resort. Hope you have a lovely day.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan for a conference, and arrived a few days early to see some of Texas. Check in was quick and efficient, I asked for a room with a view and got a west facing room over the outdoor pool. Ate in the hotel a couple nights, the Mexican and sports bar restaurants were busy, but service was efficient and friendly. Food was tasty. A short walk to the convention space was appreciated after the long days. The only issue I had was the Tuesday, with housekeeping. I had a short break, so I went to the room to catch up on emails. Housekeeping had not been there yet. I stayed for a half hour, then left. Came back after 4 pm and they still hadn't cleaned the room. They never did service my room that day, even when I was gone all evening. Other than that, the staff were friendly and helpful.

C-Lazy-S,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review in regards of your stay at our hotel. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I would like to apologize about your room not being serviced on one of the days you stayed. I was able to pass this information to our housekeeping team, to review procedures to avoid this miss again. We are glad to know our STARS were friendly and attentive during your stay. We hope you have a wonderful day.
Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Gaylord Hotel is a luxury hotel with plenty to do, for the whole family--however, it is pricey. They have a wonderful Sunday all-you-can-eat brunch--although it's very expensive. The Glass Cactus nightclub is on the property and overlooks Lake Grapevine. It is really fun, and the age range is 30's-50's. If you run a tab there--buyer beware--you will get overcharged. Pay for drinks as you go.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank momtomonkeys
momtomonkeys,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you enjoyed the Riverwalk Cantina Brunch and the Glass Cactus. We hope you get to come back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 203 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,215 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!