“Fantastic 4th of July weekend vacation”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic 4th of July weekend vacation”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is my second time staying in this hotel. Plenty of things to keep anybody busy. We stay on the 6th floor overlooking the atrium. Real nice view of the Atrium. It was spacious enough & had everything we needed.They coffee machine, safe deposit box. Room service for breakfast was easy & the portions are big. We went to the Cactus night club that Saturday night. The Emerald city band was playing that night. This group is amazing!!!! Lots of energy. Keep the crowd dancing. I got this group on my schedule for August 30. The club is huge. Plenty of space to dance even when its crowded. we had fun, & made great memories. Anyone coming here should expect to pay a good price tag attached to everything. Definitely not cheap & quite possibly over-hyped but I cannot complain about the luxury. You pay from $17 parking to resort fees. Restaurant are very expensive in the hotel. I would suggest to eat outside. You will save a lot of money. Grapevine mall is just 2 miles away with plenty of restaurant. Good get away for people looking to have a vacation not too far from home.

Room Tip: Choose room overlooking the atrium
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Floresville, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We visited the Gaylord Texan this past weekend and everything was great!! The front desk agent who checked us in was very kind and helpful. From the moment we drove up to valet to the day we checked out, all the staff were glad to assist us. The kids loved the hotel pool and they especially loved the water park! We extended a night and the front desk was happy to accommodate our request to stay another night! We can't wait to visit again!!! Great job to the front desk agent who assisted us, please recognize him as a awesome associate!!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 4 days so my daughter could attend a dance convention - last day of our stay we were approved for late check out (1pm) - at 10:30am I packed up all of our things except for the food/drinks we were preparing for our dancers (we made lunches for them everyday). I also left my purse in the room along with a small bag. It took me about 20-25 minutes to return to my room and to my surprise, the cleaning lady was there - she was cleaning the bathroom, had made the beds and scooped up all our food and put it all in trash bags and set it outside the room. I explained to her that we had late check out and all she did was shrug her shoulders. She did mention that security had taken my purse and I could retrieve it at the front desk. Get to the front desk - I explained what transpired - front desk supervisor (Amanda) confirmed that we were scheduled for late check out. She then called security - they returned my purse. i asked what was going to be done about the food situation and she said she couldn't do anything about it. i showed her the bag and asked her if she would want someone to feed her child that food. I asked if we could get a voucher for a pizza from the Italian restaurant and she refused. So needless to say, my dancers didn't get fed and the customer service sucked at such a prestige hotel. Up until this point, i thought i wanted to definitely come back, but now, i would rather go to Great Wolf Lodge.

6 Thank PRFCT1
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Gaylord Texan is a breathtaking atrium hotel that truly makes you feel like you are in Texas, very impressive architecture. We have stayed here numerous times when we visit metroplex when wanting a resort experience. We were pleasantly surprised with the room renovations-new carpet, tile, grout, bedding, paint, etc. We had a few minor issues with our room - no ironing board, took 2 days to deliver one; had to ask for the complimentary water that comes with resort fee; the safe did not work - reported first day - never was fixed. The breakfast on Riverwalk was wonderful - great food and especially great atmosphere by the water-expensive but worth it! The waterpark is just OK - definitely an upgrade from just a pool. The zipline is a treat. Less than 1/4 of people in Lazy River could have tubes - most just walked through it - definitely need to expand and supply sufficient tubes. Water was cold - most resorts heat and maintain comfortable water temperatures - we were disappointed with the waterpark experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with outdoor views are cheaper at this hotel. Ask to look over Grapevine Lake.
1 Thank Sherri A
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hotel is very nice and elegant. Housekeeping was a bit sloppy-didn't refill our coffee. And the remote was left on the floor the entire time. We ever used it, so no biggie, just thought it was weird. The water park is bad. the food is not good at all. And there was a rat that kept coming out of the bushes and crawling over people's feet. My friend got a picture. When the staff was told, they didn't even care.

3 Thank Tina M
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Worst experience EVER! We rented a cabana July 4th weekend at $350 a day and could not believe how terrible the service was. First ,when we have rented Cabanas from other properties (JW Marriott, Numerous Vegas Resorts) the service was above and beyond. And we rented them on the same busy holiday weekend. When we arrived no one came to greet us at the cabana to say they were taking care of us. We got there hungry and wanting a drink and it took an hour just to find a server who then said it was not his section and would find the person who has our cabana. Finally a girl by the name of Bianca comes and takes our order. We get half our food and it took 45 min to get our drinks and of course watered down. Looked like they were sitting and the ice had melted. Couldn't complain because she NEVER came back. We were told we would have a dedicated server and every time we would ask someone to help us it was always the same response "not our section". When we have rented cabanas at other properties the server comes to greet you once you arrive, goes over the cabana and is on you like a hawk! We had to BEG for service! Finally I tracked down Michael T the pool bar manager. I had run into the day before when we had terrible service and he assured me that things would be taken care of. But that was about 1pm when we ran into him. So Michael was so embarrassed at the lack of service and went above and beyond to take care of us. If it was not for him we were prepared to go find someone to refund our money and we were ready to leave. Upper management needs to commend him for his excellent customer service. Other issues we were told that the max in the Brazos Cabana was 8 people. Well the cabana next to us had over 10 - 15 people - spilling out of their cabana, They were smoking and thought surely the server serving them would tell them its not allowed. Well NO! So I have kids who have severe asthma and these people smoking. GREAT!! I approached another server who basically said "I can't do anything about it, I'll try to get a manager.". I could not believe her behavior. Every time something was slow or when our order was wrong they blamed the Urkainian Servers. They were the ones busting their tails and did not deserve that. Also, the cabana area needs to be roped off. Other non cabana guests were literally right out the door. I know you were busy but a reason we get a cabana is for privacy and we were surrounded by people. We had their children coming in and out of our cabana as well. I think upper management needs to take a trip to their sister properties and find out how cabana service should be. You cannot not charge customers a premium price for mediocre service.

My other issue is with the $100 upcharge we received for a firework viewing room. We were first told it would have a balcony if it didn't have a balcony it was $25 cheaper. So we agreed on the balcony room. Then Lorri (front desk) says no balcony but same charge b/c it is 100 sq feet bigger. We just agreed b/c we wanted to get our day going. Well when it time for fireworks guess what - we had to all squeeze to look out one small window b/c the other window had hail damage and the glass was shattered everywhere and you cold see condensation. So how we paid the full $100 was mind blowing!!!

Do not think we will stay here again. Have stayed here for work meeting and think its geared towards that more than a family vacation. The Paradise Springs pool is what drew us in but with the service being so bad there are better places to go!

Room Tip: Do not rent a cabana and get ready for upcharges at check in.
4 Thank Gi G
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Just wrapped up a 4 day/3 night stay-cation with my husband & 4 kids. I'll start with the positives: spacious room, friendly staff, decent food (Old Hickory & Zeppole are fantastic!), plenty to keep a family of 6 busy. We reserved a deluxe suite on the 7th floor overlooking the Atrium. It was spacious enough & had everything we needed; however, the room itself could use some updating (the carpet is horrible). Room service for breakfast was easy & the portions are HUGE (we ordered the breakfast for 4), fed 5, & still had leftovers. We rented a Guadalupe Cabana @ Paradise Springs 2 days in a row. If you're going to go there you should do the same! The park was super crowded but we had our own little spot to unwind so it was nice. We stayed 8 hours the 1st day & 6 hours the 2nd day! The 1st day we had Walter as our attendant & he was very accommodating, checked on us often! The 2nd day we weren't ever sure who our attendant was & service was spotty (drink service every 2 hours @ best). The kids had a blast though so that's all that mattered there! The Old Hickory Steakhouse was my husband's choice the 1st night & it did not disappoint. Riverwalk Cantina the 2nd night was a let-down as far as Mexican food in Texas... This place should be up to par, there are no excuses for crappy Mexican food in Texas! The 3rd night we went to Zeppole & it was FANTASTIC! We just returned from Italy & the food is as authentic as it gets! We had a fabulous conversation with Italian manager, Leo, about Italy & his menu & his wine list & our mutually favorite vineyards in Northern Italy. We will return to Zeppole again & again!... Made the whole trip worth it! Checkout was a little chaotic this morning but I suppose that should be expected @ a resort. On the way out my oldest realized she forgot her wallet inside Zeppole last night. The list & found manager met us there & let her retrieve it! Bell service & valets were always super nice & accommodating. Overall it was a nice place, we had fun, & made great memories. Anyone coming here should expect a hefty price tag attached to everything. Definitely not cheap & quite possibly over-hyped but I cannot complain about the opportunity.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BeyondDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Downtown Fort Worth
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
#7 of 111 in Fort Worth

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!