Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Blah...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second time staying at the Gaylord. The first time, we went during the Christmas holidays and it was beautiful. My daughter had a blast & we really enjoyed our time there back in 2012. This time, however, was such a disappointment. My husband and I were in and out a lot due to a meeting we were attending in Ft. worth so we brought my mom along to help with our little girl. Every time we returned from our meetings (which usually was around 10:30-11:00pm) the valet out front would have no less than 15-20 cars parked in front of the hotel and we would have to wait a considerable amount of time for someone to help us. Being late and us being exhausted from our meeting this was not fun and it happened every single night. The valet guys are nice but for the price and what the hotel strives to be you would think there would be a method to the madness. We paid over $115 for valet (not including tips) during our stay and there is ZERO organization when it comes to leaving your car- even if you're already checked in and you need to just hand your keys to someone. Also the valet is completely understaffed. Secondly, upon arrival, we asked to extend our stay by one night. They jacked the price up $65 for that one night. When I got to the room I went online to just see how much it would charge to book a room that night and it was the original price we had paid- not cool. But I didn't go complain. Another thing was that our room was, I kid you not, a quarter of a mile (at least) from the elevator. That was ok but again, being at meetings all day, then waiting for half an hour for a valet, the last thing we needed was a 10 minute trek to the room in high heels. Housekeeping is also understaffed and our room usually wasn't cleaned until late afternoon. When they do clean, they turn your AC unit up to 72. We were on the fourth floor and our room was HOT the whole time we were there. We would finally get it cooled off and housekeeping would come in and make it hot again. It was a never ending cycle. In the Texas heat it was HOT and we would have appreciated a cooler, more convenient room seeing that we spent over $1500 for just a three day stay. Also the "service" in the "restaurants" downstairs is lacking. But I won't even go down that road for now. Let's just say I don't know what's happening at a leadership level at the Gaylord but we didn't meet any employees that seemed happy with their job or pleased to be working at the Gaylord. You could tell people had an I don't care it's just a job attitude and zero pride in what they were doing. That always makes me sad, and in my opinion, is a reflection of poor leadership. We probably won't be back anymore and will instead stay at one of the other great properties that are in the Dallas area.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank HJCro
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
HJCro,

Thank you for staying at our resort. We appreciate your feedback as this will help our team improve our services. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I would like to apologize about the issues you experienced with Valet, the room rate for the second night, and the temperature in the room.

I passed on your concerns to the Towne Park manager in regards of your experience in hopes they can review procedures to better assist our guests. I also sent this information to the Front Desk manager and Housekeeping manager. Our rates do change based on availability. I always recommend letting us know your concerns when you're at the resort, so our team has a chance to fix them immediately. If the rate online showed something different, our front desk team would be more than glad to change it for you. The A/C system is motion activated, so if there's no movement in the room, it automatically changes to 72 degrees. I do apologize this cause dissatisfaction towards your stay as it was not our intensions. Please feel free to email me directly at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need any assistance and I’ll be glad to help. Thank you again for your review and hope you have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,100)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Galveston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place has it all! The rooms are spotless and very luxurious. There is a complete indoors riverwalk along the lines of San Antonio inside the resort with restuarants and gift shops. This is a great feature when its over 100 degrees outside in Dallas from July through early Septemnber. This is a great place to have a famly reunion or company conference/meeting. The food is great at the restuarants also.
The Location is very good also-not too far from DFW airport and the local attractions.
The staff are wonderful.
The only catch is the price-you'll want to shop for less expensive dates and use your AAA or other discount if possible. The hotel is worth the price but no point in spending more than you have to. Rates run from about $130-260.

Room Tip: ask for inside facing room with view of the riverwalk.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Mansfield, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

For a large convention hotel and convention center, the Gaylord Texan is extremely quiet. There were several youth baseball teams staying at the property and we never heard them. The rooms are very quiet and relaxing, and the beds are some of the most comfortable we've had in recent memory. The indoor plaza and dining choices are fun to wander, and having indoor and outdoor pools, as well as the Paradise Springs water park, gave us a lot to do. My wife and son also tried out the spa and were very pleased. The staff was helpful and friendly, and this is one of a very, very few properties that actually removed down from the room as requested prior to arrival. The balcony overlooking the plaza was a nice place to sit and people watch too.

Paradise Springs was nice -- my son and I loved the zip line and water slide (super fast!) and my wife enjoyed floating along the lazy river. There were plenty of places to sit and nothing was terribly crowded. The pools are good for all ages, and there's a small, fenced-off water play area for babies and toddlers that's fully shaded.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less traffic moving by your room, as some of the lower floor guest rooms are...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Gaylord Resorts are really special hotels. They strive to add a sense of Vegas to each design. In this case, the theme was Texas. It was like a cross between Las Vegas and Epcot. At least in Vegas, though, you can walk next door for a change of scenery. The Gaylord stood alone in a small town near the glide path for one of the countries larger airports. It is near a lake, but you can't see the lake. It is very near to it's own watermark, but it is a long walk (it was 102 when I was there). Size ends up working against the hotel as conventioneers had to hike the 5-15 minutes to reach the conference rooms they were looking for. Strengths of the hotel include a wonderful atrium full of interesting topography, foliage, and water features. The restaurants were seamlessly integrated into the hotel. The rooms are like one would find in better hotels (no robes, phones in the bathroom, or minibars), but nice and clean. There is a robust concierge desk and shuttle service (spendy though at 47$ for a 10 minute ride). There is a small army of people taking care of the atrium and facility. Everyone is pleasant with few exceptions. Once you survive the hike to the convention facility connected to the hotel, it is one of the better ones I have been to; roomy, state of the art, comfortable, adaptable, and the catering was great. Negatives unfortunately were present. While the walls were very soundproofed, the adjoining doors were paper thin and every time my neighbor spoke near the door, I could hear every word. The price of the restaurants was exorbitant for the quality of food. There were deals to be had, but mostly you overpaid. I will never forget the general store offering a bag of peanuts for $4. The outdoor pool was poorly supervised and rowdy teens out of control were not managed. The ice cube fight I witnessed went on for 10 minutes and there were innocent casualties. The pool bar was strangely always closed. The front desk was efficient at check in, but I ran into the worst employee when I asked for a late check out. I felt like I was being interrogated as though I didn't belong. The parking garage was complementary for conventioneers, but would have been very expensive for parking out on the prairie. It was nice to have a Hertz rental agency on site, but that was another negative by the time I left. The bars were easy to find and served nice drinks, but the staff behind the bar seemed a little surly. All in all, I was glad to be paying conference rates. If I was looking for a relaxing or romantic getaway, I would have been very disappointed. Go to Vegas, pay less and see more. Or find a romantic hotel that still knows what service and value are about. This hotel seems to have an identity crisis.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view, near the convention center if you need to go there. Don't expect quiet or rom...
Green Features: Good, they let me reuse towels, but no provision was made for sheets.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark P
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Mark P,

Thank you for your staying at our resort! We value your feedback and we are glad you took them time to write your review. I passed your review to our management team, so we can review policies and procedures to provide the service our guests deserve. I do want to apologize about the incident with the kids on the pool. Our security team is monitoring all the hotel areas 24/7. We will monitor the area closely to assure there's a safe environment for all of our guests. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The staff were very profession and helpful, which was refreshing. The rooms were a decent size, very clean and well maintained and the atmosphere was delightful......but all that comes at a price, which is pretty steep, but manageable. The resort always has some activities going on, with a lot geared toward keeping the kids entertained. There were several restaurants located inside the facility, with a decent mix and variety. Prices were on par with the rest of the facility and service was adequate.
The resort is located close to a lake, a water park and a large shopping mall, so there are lots of things to do, if you tire of the resort itself. DFW airport is also just across the street, so air travel in & out is not an issue.
If I only had one complaint, it would be the cost!

Room Tip: Couldn't say.............the place is Gigantic!
Green Features: I'm sure they do their part. There were recycle bins in various locations.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Paris, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We have been during Christmas, and we vowed not to go back because of how crowded and expensive everything is. But we decided to take our kids to the water park before school starts. It was a much better experience. Even though Paradise Springs is relatively crowded, the lines for the slide and zip line were very short! My kids were able to ride them as many times as they wanted. You ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE IN A COOLER!!! A previous writer suggested that and we tried to take one in. They took our cooler as we walked into Paradise Springs. They gave it back to us as we left. Be prepared to spend some cash on beverages and food everywhere you go at the Gaylord.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank travelorfromtx
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Recently stayed at the Gaylord for a convention. Loved the proximity of everything and the little extras like our company logo all over the place. Check in was smooth and quick despite many people checking in at the same time. Appreciated the extra time spent helping us to orient to the property. The rooms were nice, beds were very comfortable. One oddity - no dresser, so there was no place to unpack or store items. Concierge was helpful, bell staff was great in helping us with luggage (including weighting items to insure no over weight fees at the airport).
The on-property restaurants (with the exception of the steak house) left a little to be desired. The convention center was great, the shuttle to the water park was great. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 200 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,920 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!