“Not Thrilled With The New Menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mimi's Cafe - CLOSED

Mimi's Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Dallas, Texas
“Not Thrilled With The New Menu”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We used to go here a lot because we liked the variety on the menu and the food had been good, though not outstanding. We hadn’t been in a while because the last few times we had been there, the food hadn’t been as good as before. Friends wanted to meet us here, so went again, hoping that things had improved. Unfortunately, they haven’t. Quite the opposite.

To begin with, the menu has been greatly reduced since our last visit, and I found that most of the things that I had liked in the past were no longer on the menu. Others in the group were also disappointed with the limited selection. There wasn't much among the new items that I found interesting. The turkey that I had ordered a few times in the past was still there, so I ordered that. It was nowhere near as good as it had been before. The portion sizes were larger than I remember them being before, but the quality was lower. The turkey was dry. The mashed potatoes were room-temperature when they arrived and they were gummy and sticky rather than fluffy and creamy. The dressing was flavorless. The cranberry-orange relish was as good as before, but a condiment alone can’t carry a meal. The others were also disappointed in their meals. Banana bread is still served before the meal, but the muffins that used to be included in the bread basket are a thing of the past. We had been told on a previous visit that they were being phased out, so we weren’t surprised by this change.

Our waitress, however, was wonderful. She was very attentive and friendly without being intrusive, and did her best to make sure everyone was as satisfied as they could be. One thing she couldn’t fix for us, though, was the temperature. It was cold in there. The other ladies with us ended up getting sweaters from their cars to put on. I seem to like rooms to be colder than many other people do, but even I felt a little cold in there.

The atmosphere is still the same: meant to give the feel of a French country cottage, though it has the contrived feel that you usually get in a themed chain. It makes it pleasantly different from other chains. Unfortunately, I think you pay for the atmosphere. That’s ok when the food is good, but this place has lost its charm for me.

• Visited November 2013

Fort Worth, Texas
“Great place for Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Went to have Sunday Brunch after church with a few friends. I enjoyed having a free cup of coffee while waiting to be seated. I was given a coupon for 10% of my meal after notifying the Hostess it was my birthday. I had a problem with my food order but it was immediately corrected. I wish they would bring back the free birthday meal.

• Visited August 2013
Colleyville, Texas, United States
“Breakfast and Lunch Delish!”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Have had breakfast at Mimi's numerous times and the food is consistently good - always with a blueberry muffin to round it off.
The other day we thought we'd pop in for brunch. What a lovely surprise. We were offered a choice of breakfast or lunch menus. As usual, the servers were friendly and efficient. The atmosphere was lovely - just a gentle murmur of conversation. And the food - OUTSTANDING! We had quiche & salad - two different kinds and our choice of muffins. The quiche was delicious, even better than mine (and I make a mean quiche). It was so big and filling that the muffins went home with us. I'm definitely a fan.

• Visited July 2013
hopefully
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Went for breakfast on a Saturday morning, The food was okay-nothing was notable except for their muffins. The bacon looked like microwave bacon. Coffee was good although not hot enough. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go to Cracker Barrel - they have really thick bacon!

• Visited July 2013
Grapevine
“Great Muffins!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I love the brunch at Mimi's on the weekends. I have had nothing but good experiences there. It's a great atmosphere & very well run.

Visited May 2013