“Quality seems to be slipping”
Review of Mimi's Cafe - CLOSED

Mimi's Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I have enjoyed this Mimi's location the the past, but our most recent visit was disappointing... The food quality wasn't as good (lettuce that wasn't fresh on the salads, for example), and servers that didn't really seem to care. Maybe it was just because it was the evening, but the crowd seemed rather sparse... Maybe there's a reason people are not eating there.

1  Thank ProfCoop
There are newer reviews for Mimi's Cafe

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Mimi's Cafe in Grapevine, TX is the worst! I went there after church this past Sunday 11/17/13 expecting to get a hot delicious meal. I was met with discrimination on more than one level. I checked in with the hostess for me and my daughter. She stated it would only be a 5-10 minute wait. I turned expecting to get some coffee (while I was waiting) and both pots were bone dry. I made the hostess aware of this - she said she would take care of it and never did.

20 minutes pass then I noticed the couple that came in behind us was seated. Then the couple that came in behind them was also seated. I guess the hostess could feel the fury coming from my stare. She came over and said "she thought" I'd prefer a table. Looking at her very puzzled I stated I'd prefer the first available. After this brief exchange she proceeds to seat ANOTHER couple that came in AFTER we did. At that time I walked out. The couple that was being seated just before I left even said - "That's not right you two were here before us". I left and will NOT EVER step foot int the Grapevine location. This is the WORST service I've received at ANY restaurant, in years. By the way, All 3 couples were white and so was the hostess. Now mind you she wasn't a skinny girl and it seemed to me that she was insinuating I would not be comfortable in the booth. The is so ridiculous. I would'nt have been upset if she had asked me which I preferred upon my arrival.

1  Thank MzNashVegas
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We used to go here a lot because we liked the variety on the menu and the food had been good, though not outstanding. We hadn’t been in a while because the last few times we had been there, the food hadn’t been as good as before. Friends wanted to meet us here, so went again, hoping that things had improved. Unfortunately, they haven’t. Quite the opposite.

To begin with, the menu has been greatly reduced since our last visit, and I found that most of the things that I had liked in the past were no longer on the menu. Others in the group were also disappointed with the limited selection. There wasn't much among the new items that I found interesting. The turkey that I had ordered a few times in the past was still there, so I ordered that. It was nowhere near as good as it had been before. The portion sizes were larger than I remember them being before, but the quality was lower. The turkey was dry. The mashed potatoes were room-temperature when they arrived and they were gummy and sticky rather than fluffy and creamy. The dressing was flavorless. The cranberry-orange relish was as good as before, but a condiment alone can’t carry a meal. The others were also disappointed in their meals. Banana bread is still served before the meal, but the muffins that used to be included in the bread basket are a thing of the past. We had been told on a previous visit that they were being phased out, so we weren’t surprised by this change.

Our waitress, however, was wonderful. She was very attentive and friendly without being intrusive, and did her best to make sure everyone was as satisfied as they could be. One thing she couldn’t fix for us, though, was the temperature. It was cold in there. The other ladies with us ended up getting sweaters from their cars to put on. I seem to like rooms to be colder than many other people do, but even I felt a little cold in there.

The atmosphere is still the same: meant to give the feel of a French country cottage, though it has the contrived feel that you usually get in a themed chain. It makes it pleasantly different from other chains. Unfortunately, I think you pay for the atmosphere. That’s ok when the food is good, but this place has lost its charm for me.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Went to have Sunday Brunch after church with a few friends. I enjoyed having a free cup of coffee while waiting to be seated. I was given a coupon for 10% of my meal after notifying the Hostess it was my birthday. I had a problem with my food order but it was immediately corrected. I wish they would bring back the free birthday meal.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Have had breakfast at Mimi's numerous times and the food is consistently good - always with a blueberry muffin to round it off.
The other day we thought we'd pop in for brunch. What a lovely surprise. We were offered a choice of breakfast or lunch menus. As usual, the servers were friendly and efficient. The atmosphere was lovely - just a gentle murmur of conversation. And the food - OUTSTANDING! We had quiche & salad - two different kinds and our choice of muffins. The quiche was delicious, even better than mine (and I make a mean quiche). It was so big and filling that the muffins went home with us. I'm definitely a fan.