“Good Service... Horrible Food”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #137 of 240 Restaurants in Grapevine
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Privacyville
“Good Service... Horrible Food”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Ordered clam chowder as a soup/appetizer.... soup came out lukewarm on top and cold / uncooked in the middle. Sent the soup back and it came back (same soup) obviously microwaved. The soup was scorching hot in the middle and still lukewarm on the top with a dried up layer on the top of it.

Rest of the meal came out fine, though one of the fried dishes that was ordered, everything came out burnt. No apologies from the restaurant even though we pointed this out too.

Ended up throwing away quite a bit of the meal and just leaving.

Visited January 2013

Texas
“Steamed gluten-free Crab pots”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

A steamed gluten-free Crab pot with lots of Snow crab legs, corn on the cob that has (so far) been perfectly prepared on each visit, and a couple of steamed potatoes! That all makes me a happy camper. I visit every two weeks or so. The restaurant feels a bit sad since the highway construction has deterred regulars and new diners alike. There are signs that they are trying to cut costs. I had to launch a protest to get back packets of regular sugar, yet they waste money staying open until MIDNIGHT on a Monday when my husband I were the only couple in the restaurant after 9:30pm. Their bar drinks are tasty. The restaurant can be noisy during times when families bring toddlers and infants to family celebrations, so we try to visit between 8 and 9pm. Service is typically pretty good, but the restaurant needs the road construction to be over.

• Visited January 2013
Keller TX
“No Excuse for Overcooked Shrimp!!”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This store has been going down hill for about a year. This time the heads-on shrimp in the New Orleans Pot were so overcooked they were almost mushy! Their flavor was flat and pasty and just not enjoyable. When we told the server, the store manager immediately came to the table and offered to 'fix' it in any way he could. To his credit, he reduced the price of the entree, gave us one complimentary dessert and a Free Appetizer card for our next visit. My teenage daughters both commented that Joe's isn't 'fun' like it used to be and when the food is disappointing, they aren't thrilled about going back. I lived on the West Coast for many years and that's where I first ate at Joe's. I know my crab..and can easily tell when it's fresh and when it's not. In this store I've been disappointed with the lack of freshness my last two visits. When the bar-b-qued Dungeness doesn't 'crack' when you try to open it, it isn't as fresh as it should be! May have made my last visit to this store... there's another we can go to and probably will next time.

• Visited November 2012
Cancun, Mexico
“First crabs legs”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

These were my first crab legs ever.
We had an amazing time, our server April made an enjoyable night with colleagues. She was prompt and always with a smile teaching me how to open the legs.
It was a great dinner starting with a New England soup and then sweet crab and queen crab legs all together with a 22oz beer
We had such a night that we went back the following night, as I received a free appetizer e-mail from them.
What a different experience, our waiter was not happy, I guess, cause she did not help us or provided the "breaking kit" to open the legs. She forgot about us, we even had to ask for more drinks and help to other waiters. This waiter even told us that the king crab legs were not that great, that we should stay with the queen ones.
We changed recipe, we had the garlic one, first night we had the traditional recipe, and it was great, not so much for the second night.
I will try this place again, only because of my first experience.

Visited September 2012
Fulda
“Do the steam pot!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have been to several Joe's and this one is really good. We split a steampot and everything in it was wonderful. Even had a little left for a doggy bag.

Our waitress was top notch and took extra time to teach us how to eat the crab legs. I would go back here for sure!

• Visited June 2012