“My 8-year-old says the review should say "great!"”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
norman,
“My 8-year-old says the review should say "great!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We went to Great Wolf expecting it to be cheesy and crowded with kids. We were correct, but our kids really loved the whole experience. We had a rough start, arriving at 4:30 and expecting to be able to check-in. Our room was not ready, and they said that the bellman could hold our bags and they would call when our room was ready. I saw some other guests in the same situation who were pretty agitated.

We also went expecting the room to be small and worn and the beds to be uncomfortable. We expected that based on reviews we had read, but actually found the rooms to be large, quite nice, and comfortable. The air conditioning did not get at cold as we are used to, but in October we were fine.

My 11 -year-old really enjoyed Magiquest, but did experience some frustration with the wand not working properly at times. One time he took it back to the shop, and an employee was able to make it work better for a while. My husband got tons of exercise running up and down the stairwells to play the game. The 8-year-old found the game
frustrating, and much preferred to stay in the arcade. Which brings me to an important point- watch your wallet at the Great Wolf! There are so many ways to spend money- if you are not wanting to add hundreds to your trip, plan ahead! When going to buy Magiquest wands, have an adult scope it out first. As soon as your kids walk in, they will see many neat choices for wands and fancy toppers. Our children immediately grabbed their choices, and they ended up totaling $100 for both. If we had gone with the basic wands, it would have only been $60 total, but it was too late for us.

We found that the easiest way to eat was to get a pizza at the "Hungry Wolf" next to the arcade. Even though there were only 3 tables there, we were always able to grab one and eat a little before continuing to play. Many people seemed to be taking pizzas back to their rooms. There are ice cream and treats nearby, as well. We also saw someone having Papa John's delivered and others bringing a big order of Chick-fil-a into the lobby. In the morning, we ate the breakfast buffet and found it to be better than most hotel buffets.

The water park was of course, loud and crowded. The lazy river was definitely not lazy. You will constantly have very powerful water dumped on your head. It was kind of fun but not good for contact lens! The boys also really enjoyed the play area and waiting for the giant bucket to turn over and drop huge amounts if water on them. We also did some slides, and enjoyed them, as well. I would like to comment on the towel situation. The water park has bathrooms on both sides, but towels in only one spot. It would be great to have towels in many more spots, especially next to bathrooms. Also, there need to be many more changing areas. Lifeguards were diligent. Another reviewer commented that they were robotic, and trying to please their boss. I think that I much prefer that hyper-active behavior of moving around and looking from side to side over the traditional bored-looking lifeguard. If they are trying to pay attention, maybe it will help them to pay attention.

Most parents really enjoy watching their kids have a good time. Maybe it helps us recapture our youth. My husband commented that he didn't see a single child crying. I imagine that there are some parents who may get a moment to rest while their children run around the hotel playing Magiquest or play in the water park. If you are the type of parent (like we are,) who watch your children really closely, then you will be exhausted by the end of your stay. But your children will be happy!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank grelli2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My kids had been begging to go to Great Wolf Lodge for several months. So when a Groupon deal hit my inbox, I snagged it.

We arrived on a Friday around 1 pm. There was no line, check-in was friendly and efficient, and we were given our wristband/room keys to head up to our room. My kids literally squealed with delight when they saw their "Wolf Den" sleeping area -- a separate, cave-themed "room within a room" that had bunk beds and its own TV. Score!

The rest of the room was pretty standard, but clean and well-laid out. We had a patio/balcony, but it was tiny -- barely large enough to step out on and crowded with two chairs and a small table. Fortunately, there was no upcharge for the patio/balcony because it wouldn't have been worth it.

The waterpark is pretty spectacular. For one thing, it's all indoors and kept at a moist 80ish degrees year-round. For another, there are tons of lifeguards stationed at every pool and slide, and they are serious about safety. I never saw them take their eyes off the water the entire time they were on duty, and they were quick to whistle anyone breaking the rules. Our kids are strong swimmers, but we felt extra confidence in having such well-trained lifeguards watching out for them.

We enjoyed all the slides, and my kids particularly loved the wave pool. There are plenty of tubes to float in, or you can just jump and dive into the waves as they roll in. The slides have a good variety of "not-at-all-scary" to "oh my!" If your kids are 48" or taller, they can ride anything, but be warned: that doesn't necessarily mean they should. The Howling Tornado is a pretty intense ride down a dark, twisting tube that ends in a rather chaotic funnel-shaped bowl before spitting you out the end. My husband and I loved it, but neither of my kiddos were a fan.

MagiQuest is a cool experience for older kids. My 9-year-old was totally into solving the quests and ran around the hotel with her wand, going up hidden stairwells and looking in walls. It's a great nighttime activity and is different from anything we'd ever seen. Some of the props didn't work as well as they should have (one kept telling her she needed to go back to the last step, which she had already completed), but overall it's worth the 30 bucks for a unique form of entertainment.

We did the Trick-or-Treat Trail, which took all of 10 minutes, but it did cause us to explore parts of the hotel we hadn't yet seen. Storytime at 8 pm was way too crowded. I wish the parents would stay at the back and let the kids sit up front because it's hard for the little ones to see when they're stuck at the back, sitting behind a bunch of grown-ups. If you're planning to do Storytime, you may want to get there early to get a better spot.

The restaurants are hit or miss. We had great experiences at Camp Critter (4th floor) and Hungry As a Wolf Pizza (basement level), but really poor experiences at Loose Moose (1st floor) and the snack bar inside the waterpark. If you really need to eat while you're at the waterpark, skip the snack bar and walk out to Hungry As a Wolf for a pizza the whole family can share. The price is reasonable for a very large pizza that is much better quality than anything they serve at that terrible snack bar. (And you'll probably save yourself 20 minutes of standing in the snack bar line.)

One thing you can't escape: the hotel is loud. Inside the waterpark, it's the rushing sound of water combined with kids yelling and screaming. But even in the hotel, the ceilings are high and sound just reverberates everywhere. I was amazed at how quiet it seemed when we walked outside.

We only stayed one night, which was plenty since you get to use the waterpark on both check-in and check-out day. By the afternoon of the second day, my kids were starting to lose interest. But everyone agreed it was a good time, and everyone wants to go back again someday!

Room Tip: If you're taking kids, the themed suites are really worth the splurge. The kids love having thei...
1 Thank Robyn S
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Have been going to Great Wolf every year for the last 3 years with my 2 kids and my niece and nephew...they like the water park (very eventful and lots of lifeguards all over), and can spend hours in the arcade.
The room has a log cabin theme and gives them their own play/"camp" area where thay can do their thing...
The kids really got involved with the magi quest (some sort of runaround all over the facility finding clues for some magic thing)....

Breakfast is a very good buffet and the restaurants are ok (not spectacular).
A Starbucks on site gives very needed coffee relief and the gift store is great for gifts for folks back home.

All in all, good fun for the kids, but anything longer than 2 nights is probably too long.

Room Tip: high floor...and log cabin suite
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

To start, I had low expectations going in as the idea of a water park and hotel in one to me sounded like an opportunity for chaos, crowds and stench. I had read a review about wet floors and how spread out everything was. So let me say that I was pleasantly surprised and highly recommend this as a quick getaway.

We stayed one night -- Thursday, checked in at 1 p.m. and our room was ready, so we were able to unload and hit the water park. It wasn't very crowded and we were able to ride the slides over and over again. After three hours we decided to take a break and venture out for dinner. They have plenty of eating opportunities there, but I wanted to try something different while in the area and thought we could save $ and get better quality.

We were back in time for trick or treating (this was a little lame to me, there were 5 stops, 4 of which gave out candy, so my kids got all dressed up to get 5 pieces of candy in about 10 min. So unless you have little ones who just like the idea of doing this, I could take or leave it). Then we got our PJs on for story time at 8 p.m. My 8 year old daughter was creeped out by the singing robots (think Chucky Cheese), but then an actual person came out with their mascot and read a story. It was very crowded and very hard to hear, but a fun experience that we probably won't waste time doing a second time. Once was enough:)

The next day we hit the water park at 9:30, at 10:45 a.m. my husband moved our luggage from our room to our car and checked out, and we played until 1:30 and then drove home. It did get really crowded at about 11 a.m. on a Friday and with the next round of people checking in at 1 p.m., the lines were getting longer.

PROS -- the slides at the park are among the best I've ever ridden. The drops are fun, the water pressure is intense. My daughter was freaked out by the tornado ride, but my husband and I went on it about 5 times ourselves.

I don't know how crowded it gets, but we never waited more than 5 minutes in line.

The lifeguards are so nice. I felt like I was at Disney with their level of customer service.

Since it was the fall, everything was indoors and it felt contained and safe. We let our 7 and 8 year old play in the playground while my husband and I watched from the adult-only hot tub. It felt like it was well thought out and we were able to relax more than if we were all spread out.

Everything was about the experience. From the storytime to the super nice lifegaurds, everything felt Disney.

The room was very clean (dry), quiet and there were special touches that made it seem nicer.

CONS -- Trick or treating was a little boring. There are so many ways to spend your money, it felt a little like a tourist trap, which is fine, but annoying as you try to figure out ways to tell your kids no, we don't need to do and eat everything here. Our room was on the main level, but one of the last ones in the row, so it was a long trek. I tried telling myself that this made it quieter. Also, there are showers for those who have checked out, but stay to play and want to shower before leaving, but there were only 3 and we waited in line for about 20 minutes. Didn't expect this and we had a long drive home ahead of us.

Also, since it's all indoors, your skin gets puckered and you may feel a need to get out of the moist environment and let your body dry out every few hours.

Wish I had known -- they have fridges and microwaves. We ended up stopping at a market, but I think we could have saved $ had we brought popcorn to pop or our own breakfast or bottled water. I also didn't bring a swimsuit cover up -- just not thinking and it's kind of good to have when going back and forth and not wanting to get dressed again. You can't take the towels out of the pool area.

My kids had a blast, and so did me and my husband. I don't think you need to stay more than one night if you are able to check in by 1 p.m. to get use of the park for two days.

2 Thank LauraBB
katy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We were so disappointed in the lack of caring of the employees. Really sad. The few things we asked for were met with an attitude of ask someone that cares!!! We decided to eat at eight the first night and if I had to bet it was left over from lunch....Then at six oclock in the morning the fire alarm stated going off. we called the desk and the young lady seemed so put out and stated she would contact the maintenance dept. The gentleman she sent was very pleasant but 10 minutes after he left it started going off again. Great Wolf has a lot to learn about running a park.

2 Thank Chuck B
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I booked a reservation at the lodge for two bedrooms as we were traveling with an other couple from our church. When we arived, we were booked into a Hotel Family Suite, which is one room with a devider for the "living Room". When I contacted the front desk to let them know that there was a problem of no privacy in the room. I was told the the only solution the problem was to upgrade at $100.00/night. Since we were staying for seven days, this became a $700.00 up grade. Because we had driven 600 miles to the lodge, we paid the price. What was very ironic was that the hotel was practicly empty and some consideration to our situation was not given..

Room Tip: Ask for a floor plan of the accomidations before you book'
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Richard M
Anna, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Talk about a waste of time and money! Staff was rude and disinterested . The hotel guests were gross and creepy. I was surprised considering how expensive the place was, but I think stuffing 6 people into a room made it more affordable for many. Overall, experience was cheesy and low- rent!

• Stayed October 2013