“Misled by online booking...”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Houston
“Misled by online booking...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Hello,
We are very disappointed in our experience at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX.
We had booked the KidCabin Suite because we had three children and there were three beds in the pictures... I didn’t realize I needed to read the fine print when I selected an "accessible" suite by accident (only thing marking it as “accessible” was a small blue wheelchair symbol).. which really isn't that accessible as the shower is not wheelchair accessible (most places would have the bathroom is one continuous floor with a seat in the shower area to accommodate those with limited mobility needs ... )
So our 3 kids arrive in the room expecting to sleep together in a cabin… only two single beds due to accessible room…. All KidCabins sold out, so no option offered from front desk, or even the Manager on duty .. Kids having meltdown after 5 hour drive, arriving close to bed time… Can you say nightmare?
Add insult to injury, that while we are at checkin people are being given the standard KidCabin for 1/3 the price we paid online…
I called to have roll-away brought to room… and I had to rearrange room to force the roll-away into the “cabin” which is now wall to wall bed and no area to play.. or call their own… Again not what the kids had expected…
So we are turning this lemon of a vacation into something positive for us… no thanks to Great Wolf Lodge. This will be the last time we stay at Great Wolf Lodge.
I guess Great Wolf would win in a court of law as they have the standard CYA fineprint.. but definitely not in our hearts... We will not be coming back to this Hotel... and would definitely not recommend it to any of our friends. I feel duped and was offered no alternatives.

Room Tip: Be prepared to spend a lot of cash.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank TexasHerrmanns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I am excited to have something closer and to not shell out hundreds to stay the night so far away. For now, I'll frequent GWL. We do like it. It has water slides for every age group and areas for them. It's pricey but fun for small groups. The lifeguards are awesome. Very attentive! You can expect to spend around $700 for a family of 3 to eat and stay for a day and a half.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Fivestarmom
Rolleston, null, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

A fantastic place for kids to stay, so much to do, the water park is fantastic. The rooms were great with the themed cabins. Such friendly and helpful staff made the vacation memorable. Lots of options from casual dining to the pizza palour, everything is there in easy reach.

Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

***Warning*** Do NOT come here and expect to use a debit card OR cash. That is NOT allowed at Great Wolf, and they do not tell you that online. If you do not have a fee based or interest based credit card (not a visa or master card debit card attached to your bank account), you will NOT be able to spend money at this resort!

You will not be allowed to have any debit card attached to your room for incidentals for your room. You cannot order movies, or make phone calls in or out. You cannot charge your water park bracelets for your children, and you cannot even use the vending machines to get a coke and a bag of chips without a credit card!!

Even the vending machines do not accept real money, coins or dollar bills to get a can of soda in the middle of the night.

Which is sad because we would have spent a lot more. We are a family that cut up credit cards years and years ago. We are frugal and only use debit cards and cash. But arriving to check in here and being told our money is not welcome unless it came on loan from American Express, etc. was a slap in the face. But that was just the beginning of the defective management policies running the Great Wolf lodge.

This experience started poorly when we first walked into the door to check in. The facility is magnificent and beautiful. The kids were amazed to be here. But the front desk staff and management were downright rude and unhelpful from the get go. I was not made to feel welcome, I was made to feel like I was a bother to them. Let me explain....

I reserved the room online. There was a deal I got from signing up for the Great Wolf newsletter. Not a third party groupon on other special deal. I got the deal from Great Wolf itself. Everything with the online reservation went great. We were so excited. At the end of my reservation and deposit, the online system asked me if I wanted to upgrade my room IF it was available to upgrade at check in. I was not sure.

The online reservation website said I could check all possible upgrade options (there were four) and they would tell me what was available at check in. I would not know what was available until I checked in. The online system said there was no risk and I was NOT obligated to accept the upgrade if one was available, but that was a lie.

Now after my online reservation, I got an email with the original reservation for our Great Wolf stay, and there were NO upgrades mentioned or accepted. TWO different emails that were a month apart. Yet when I arrived the clerk insisted I had accepted a very pricy upgrade for the Grizzly Bear suite that was much too big for our tiny family.

The management here told me a different story than what I had read online, and insisted I was accepting an upgrade when I checked the options online for possible upgrades. If I had known that, I would have NEVER done it! She was rude and chastised me for declining the most expensive upgrade choice that was available!! A suite with many bedrooms and a full kitchen at a price I could not afford.

I had no idea that was going to happen until we checked in. The clerk and her manager told me this was the ONLY time she would put me back in the room because she just so happened to have my original room available. Despite the fact that my confirmation email did not make any mention of an upgrade! TWO confirmation emails a month apart!

She rudely told me the next time she would not put us back into the room we reserved and confirmed, and next time she would force us to accepting and paying for the upgrade. She said the next time the online system gave me options of different upgrades to review when we checked in, she would not be so nice. She would force us into HER choice of upgrade, and I would be on the hook for the price. Well ok lady, there wont be a next time. The Gaylord Texan will get our business.

The next slap in the face was that she told me I could not pay for our stay with a debit card!! They only accepted fee/interest based credit cards. It is against the policies of Great Wolf to accept Visa or Mastercards that are attached directly to your bank account. She would let me pay with the debit card that I reserved the room with, but that was all. I could not believe that my money was not welcome at Great Wolf.

I paid for our room online with no problem with our Mastercard Debit Card. But I was shocked that it would not work in person. If I had know that was going to be an issue, I am not sure I would have come here. It has made our stay very difficult, and we cannot use any of the facilities because we dont use regular credit cards. That notification needs to be online, so people can decide what to do to make their stay easier.

So our second night here, we decided to order pizza from a local pizza hut. The food prices at Great Wolf are excessively expensive, and the debit card debacle at the front desk made it too hard to spend money here.

Our pizza hut told us they would call when they got to the front desk, so we could go get the pizza and pay for it. We were happy to do it. However, our pizza was turned away by the front desk. The front desk said they tried to call the room to notify us. The phone never rang. And I believe it was because they turned off the phone service because there was no credit card attached to the room. One problem after another continued to cascade into a big deal.

We called pizza hut because we had no idea what had happened. And that is when we learned they sent our pizza away and never notified us. Even Pizza hut tried to call our room and could not get through. We were not told our room phone would not work at Great Wolf because we used debit cards to pay for everything. The management policies here made our stay horrible. What if a family emergency happened and our family could not call us?

The facility is beautiful. It is being managed horribly. It makes the guests feel very bad and the customer service is nonexistent. I was nothing more but a hassle to them, and unless they take a hard look at changing their policies, and improving the customer experience, I wont be back. And I hate to have to say that. The facility is almost magical. But management tarnishes the shine of the place and makes it not memorable or pleasurable.

I have a kid with medical issues and we travel here every two months to see specialists. I sometimes bring my family and we try to make it fun for our kids. I went back and forth between staying here or staying at the Gaylord Texan across the street. I wish I had made a different choice, but when we come in December, it wont be here.

I wanted this experience to be perfect and fun. But management policies were a bur under the saddle and it just kept getting worse until a huge problem erupted.

47 Thank Juliebork
Palacios, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

This place is great for the whole family! They have things for all ages. We went during the week and that was best time to go, when we left Saturday there was kids and people Everywhere!!! The water park was a lot of fun!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel and rooms were nice, we had a cabin room for the kids (2-3) they both loved the little cabin rooms and bunk beds. The pool was very crowded with only the inside pools open. The last day there they opened the outside pool and was much better. The price was pretty expensive with what you get even with a Groupon. I would take the kids again only with a good groupon deal. As I read in other reviews there are not many elevators and the are centrally located but our room was along way down the hall.

Room Tip: pick a room close to elevators if possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DLW3645
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My sister and I went with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons - it was amazing! Staff were all so wonderful - we never passed a staff member without them saying "hello". Our grandson had gotten a remote control helicopter, and we needed to open the remote to put in the batteries, which required a small screw driver. I called the front desk to see if we could borrow one, and they sent one of their engineers to our room with his tool kit! It was great!