“Underwhelmed by the accommodations & service”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Underwhelmed by the accommodations & service”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had booked a king room only to be informed at check-in that we had been selected to receive "a complimentary upgrade" to a kids' cabin. We booked the king room because we wanted the king bed. The upgrade only had a queen bed in it. When my husband inquired about their reasoning for the switch, we were offered another room on the 8th floor that also wouldn't accommodate our needs. Bottom line is that when you select a king sized bed there is usually a reason behind it. If an upgrade is offered, it should include the same size bed. It made for two miserable nights.

We had to ask for housekeeping to revisit our room shortly after check-in because it looked like the room had never been vacuumed or swept from the previous guests. Their second attempt was a little better. I noticed dog food behind the headboard, so I wonder how long that had been there since I had to sign a waiver at check-in stating that I was informed it was a pet-free facility. Obviously someone disregarded that information.

The lighting in the suite is not very good. It is even worse in the bathroom. There is no light near the shower at all. It makes for a very difficult time when trying to bathe little ones.

The food choices are not very enticing or healthy - mostly junk food and amusement style food. The reviews for both restaurants were not very good, so we didn't even attempt them.

We found it odd that there were no electric doors at any entrance. There were always staff standing around the main doors, but they never offered to open a door despite being packed down with luggage and strollers. The door to the water park usually did get opened by a staff member, so I guess the staff upstairs just didn't care.

The water park was an enjoyable experience for our little ones. It nearly made up for all of the other issues we encountered. However, the employees need additional training on how to delight guests. At every attempt, it appeared that we were bothering the staff. Take a page out of the Disney playbook, please. Especially when you charge me an additional $19.99 resort fee each night on top of everything else and don't inform guests of this charge in the pre-booking materials.

Overall, I think I will opt for a regular water park on our next attempt. It just wasn't worth the expense in my opinion.

3 Thank magnoliabelle131
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for providing us with the feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at check-in and I will share your concerns with our Guest Services team to take into consideration for future visits.

All Great Wolf Lodge locations are pet-free, however, in accordance with ADA regulations we allow service animals as defined by the ADA and they are able to be in all areas of the resort. For the health and safety of our guests, service animals are not allowed in the pools and attractions of the waterpark.

It is our goal to interact with our guests starting right as they enter Great Wolf Lodge, and I am sorry if we missed the mark with your family. We want to provide a warm and inviting atmosphere that allows our guests to feel like they are home while staying with us.

When making a reservation, whether over the phone or online, the rate will be quoted without taxes & resort fees per night. When booking online, at Step 2 & 3, guests are provided with a stay summary that breaks down the room rate, any packages they may add to their reservation and then the taxes & fees combined. It will also show what their advance deposit amount will be, along with any remaining balance if applicable.

I hope you will find this information helpful and will return to stay with us in the future.

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My four kids (ages 2-13) love coming here. We always get the kids cabin and there is plenty of room. Overall everything seems reasonably priced (for a 'resort') for what you get. If you order from the bar be sure and watch how much you are charged. From the pool bar I ordered piña coladas for me and my husband and was charged $18 and some change(which at the time I thought was outrageous but figured that was the price). Went up later in the afternoon and ordered 2 more and it was only $12.99...I didn't specify what kind of liquor either time and the bartender couldn't give me a good reason for the discrepancy...so beware!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melody W
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and providing us with your feedback. I apologize for any confusion that might have occurred when placing your drink orders, but I will share your concerns with the Food & Beverage team for review.

We hope your family will visit us again soon!

Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Pros: Fun, safe, exciting place for kids who love water. Friendly staff. Decent food. Slides fun for adults as well! Gift shop nice. High quality sheets and linens in the room. Room very kid-proof.

Cons: Bed was not comfortable for adults.

Details: We checked in for just one night. They let you arrive early and use the facilities pre-room checkin, they also let you stay on checkout day until close if you want. So you are basically getting two days for one night's stay. The room was spacious enough and included a fridge and microwave which were useful. We ordered pizza and spaghetti for dinner which turned out to be a lot of food and it was pretty good. A highlight was the fresh backed garlic-cheese bread that came with it. Prices for the food were reasonable (for a resort).
The waterpark is lots of fun. It's not as big as some others but it includes and indoor and outdoor section and many slides and pools for all ages. One thing I really liked was that there is only one door in/out, and lifeguards everywhere. I felt pretty safe about letting my kids run around. A tip for adults - the slides are fun for kids and grownups alike!
The lowlight for me was the bed. The mattress felt like kids had been jumping on it for 10 years. It was very soft. We just couldn't get a decent sleep.

Overall - recommended for families needing a couple days of fun together.

Room Tip: The Wolf Den and Kids Camp are special rooms with special sleep areas for kids. The pool is on the...
1 Thank Michael M
League City, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My family and I stayed 3 days here the week following Easter Sunday. Over all, this is a very nice facility. It is well kept and very nicely decorated. Most of the staff was dressed well and seemed to care about your visit there. We opted for one of the Kid Kamp rooms, it is a very neat concept. The kids had a separate room or area that looked like an outdoor camp with bunk beds and a TV. There were TONS of activities to do, just make sure you purchase the Paw Pass, other wise it will get very expensive very quick. The Paw Pass is a great bargain! The indoor water park was very nice, because we went during the week it was not over crowded and the lines were pretty quick. My only complaint about the water park was the chlorine in the air! This area could use some major ventilation. Our eyes were burning and red before we ever stepped into any water. It was like this all three days. We only ate at the in house restaurant for breakfast buffet, it was a little expensive, however, it was convenient and it was good. The room was nice, very large and quite cozy, but the beds were HORRIBLE!!! My kids slept on the floor because it was more comfortable than the Kid Kamp beds. The bed in the main room was advertised as a queen when we reserved the room but ended up being a full size when we got there. When this was addressed with the staff they said that there was nothing that could be done about this. My biggest complaint is with the game that Great Wolf offers called Magi-Quest. It is a hotel wide scavenger hunt using magic wands and a clue book. The concept is awesome, but the magic wands are VERY EXPENSIVE (around $50 for a basic set up). The main problem was that the game did not work well. Upon finding a clue you are suppose to point your want at it and it feeds you another clue and records the found clue. Our wands did not work well, leaving the kids frustrated and uninterested in continuing, I addressed the wand issues 5 times, yes, 5 times with the Magi-Quest employees and it fell on def ears. The male employee in the Magi-Quest store was very rude and odd. On the final visit i finally demanded to receive new wands or my money back, at which points the kids did not even want to do it anymore. All in all it was a fun trip, just make sure you go during the off season when it is not over crowded and take a pocket full of money because Great Wolf will nickle and dime you to death. My wife and kids were asking to go home about half way through the second day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Douglas N
Claremont, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We checked in on Sunday afternoon. Check in was easy and pleasant. Did the waterpark, etc. kids loved it. Then we got into bed early (8:30pm) so we could get some rest before having to wake up at 3:45am for our flight to boston in the morning. We wake up at 3:45am, turn the lights on and see little bugs on the bed my wife and 2 year old were in. We do a double check and find a bed infested with BED BUGS! We freaked out call the front desk and they send two guys to our room (they arrived very quickly). The guys are hesitant to believe us until they start turning the sheets and low and behold the two guys freaked out and literally RAN OUT OF THE ROOM. They left us a bottle of "bug killer" and told us to spay our stuff but were actually more freaked out than us!!

Room Tip: Check your bed!
11 Thank Heather T
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your concerns with us. Our Lodge team takes reports of pest activity seriously and will do a thorough investigation of the room to determine the nature of the activity and any subsequent treatment necessary. With over 500,000 guests traveling through our Lodge each year we, unfortunately, have to deal with a wide variety of situations. We certainly try to correct each and every one with our guests as quickly and efficiently as possible. I know the Guest Services team worked with you on your accommodations and am hopeful we will have the opportunity to have you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just returned from Great Wolf Lodge - Grapevine. We had our 10 year old daughter and her bff. We only stayed one night, Fri to Sat. Overall we had a good time. Review details.

Check In - We arrived at noon on Friday. This proved to be a great time to check in, no one was in line, and check in was a breeze, not to mention they already had a room for us.

Room - We stayed in a King suite, so the kiddos used the pull out couch. The mattress isn't bad for younger kids, however, if you are a bigger person, I am sure it would feel like, well um a Sofa bed.. :) They liked this room over a two queen room, as they felt they had their own area. Room, was clean, smelled good. The shower could use a bit more water pressure, but that wasn't a biggie.

Entertainment - Interesting enough, after the trip, I asked the girls what they liked best about Great Wolf, and they unanimously said their favorite thing was the Quest Adventure game. This cost about $30 a piece, but for the entertainment they had, I thought it was worth it. We also spent some time in the arcade, the value of the arcade isn't as good as the quest game as we spent about $100 in two hours, but they got to use their tickets to take home a couple of souvenirs and it seemed like the games were priced about like any other arcade. The waterpark started to get much more busy Friday evening. The waterpark felt clean, and the lifeguards are very attentive. The girls spent most of their time in the wave pool.

Food - We just ordered a large pizza for lunch. It was $15, and it was good. Its not great pizza, but it did the trick, and it fed all 4 of us. We went out and grabbed food from some restaurants for dinner to get a break from all the action.

Overall we all had a great time, and would take the kids back. Next time, we might book a little further in advance, as the room rate was around $350, but we only gave the resort a one week notice, so its to be expected. The resort was very clean, which is impressive, with that many kiddos running around. Would definitely return.

Nice work Great Wolf!

2 Thank Jason L
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Spent Easter weekend at GWL with family, 4 boys under 6 and 8 adults. Had a great time. Shared 2 suites, had plenty of room. Food was reasonably priced. Loved the cabanas. Activities for all ages. Several slides were even exciting for the adults.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor kind of loud. Hotel has treasure hunt for older kids that took them down our h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank khincke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Super 8 Grapevine/DFW Airport Northwest
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#16 of 17 in Grapevine

Been to Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine? Share your experiences!