“Fantastic”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Husband, 3 year old and myself went on 5/17. Fantastic experience all around!! Checked in early and started swimming ASAP. The arcade and restaurant were both great as well. We will definitely be enjoying the Great Wolf Lodge again!

1 Thank Iheartccshipp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ok - we have now been to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine twice (Santa had the brilliance to give this to our 4 kids 2 years ago, and again this past Christmas). I got nervous the first time after reading different reviews....but...it was great (that's why we did it again). This last time our kids were ages 13, 12 & 3 (boys). They all had a great time (have a daughter age 16, and she wanted to go, but instead cheered for a state tournament). Here in SE Texas, we have Winter Break....3rd week in February....this is when we went both times - PERFECT TIME!!! Stayed two nights both times....literally, the longest we had to wait for slides was maybe 5 minutes. And I could be in the wave pool or toddler area with the little one and keep an eye on the boys going up and down the stairs (and by boys, I am including my hubby, lol - I had bought them all bright swimsuits to make it easier). I was a little worried about our older boys getting bored, but nope...they loved it. And the 3 year old wore both my hubby and myself out. He was obsessed with the buckets dumping water, and floating in the Lazy River. He slept really, really well! Now....for food....we brought snacks with us (not cheap at the Lodge), including lunch and fruit to go with breakfast (it was vacation...got doughnuts one day, mcdonalds another day). For lunch, kids went up to the room and either ate leftovers from the previous night or lunchables. Supper....first time, we picked up chicken strips from Chicken Express (right down the road), second night, we ordered pizza, spaghetti and a salad from Great Wolf. To my surprise, it was great! Will definitely do that again. Not expensive for the amount of food we got either. We never ate at the grill, but in future we will try it, as the food smelled really, really good. Lots of fast food places nearby (a mile or so up the road) and restaurants. We had planned to take the kids this last time to the Rainforest Cafe at the mall, but they vetoed that in favor of the water park until it closed. As for check in, we lucked out both times (probably because of when we went) - waited at the most 5 minutes, staff very polite and helpful, and our rooms were ready both times when we arrived at 1pm. The beds were not the most comfortable, but weren't uncomfortable either. Kids loved their own "cabin" in our room. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a balcony/patio - they aren't all that impressive. We did not do the Magic Quest (ok - I wanted to, but older kids weren't interested, and little one has a flea's attention still). And we all enjoyed the Arcade (ok - I might have gotten a little addicted to the huge Fruit Ninja game - I don't get out much). Now, if Mom gets worn out by all the boys, she can also indulge in a little shopping therapy at the nearby outlet mall (not all of the shops are real outlets, though). Over all, both of our trips were a succes....and we will DEFINITELY go again!! Our 3 year old still gets all excited seeing commercials on TV. Oh - one other thing - either Living Social or Groupon regularly have specials on Great Wolf....last time we went, we used one - ended up paying $300 for 6 of us, plus had a $50 credit, for a 2 night stay. Just for one day at a regular water park, it costs us easily $120 or more to get in. Plus - the first time - it was freezing outside, with freezing rain - and we were in a water park!! How cool is that? Oh - and Starbucks in the gift shop, and beer & cocktails available also.

Room Tip: The rooms closes to the elevators (and therefore closest to the MagiQuest stuff) get noisy - even la...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kitty_1974
Houston
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to this facility over Memorial Day Weekend. While I expected it to be busy, it was beyond packed. The first sign of trouble was that they had no bell service and their front desk area was woefully understaffed. It went downhill from there.

We arrived at 330PM and were told that rooms would not be ready until 4PM. We waited in the lobby with our luggage because they had no method to check in our belongings while we waited. And waited. And waited. Our room wasn't ready until 530PM. We had to complain to get any attention to this problem. They accommodated us in a room other than the theme we reserved.

When we arrived at the room--which was no small feat given the size of the hotel and the incredible lines for the elevators--the keys didn't work. Tried calling the front desk to have someone bring the keys. No luck. So I walked down 7 flights to get them to reprogram the keys. The desk's solution? Comp us a breakfast and a late checkout. If I were there without kids I would have just left.

The room was generally clean. The beds are not soft. The areas around the bunk beds were not vacuumed. The shampoo bottles, etc had not been replaced since the prior guests left.

The swimming areas were packed. The lines for the slides were absurdly long. When it came time for dinner decided to simply order room service--which they have, but do not advertise--and waited about 1.5 hours for the food to arrive. Pretty pathetic consider that all we ordered was pizza, spaghetti and salads and water. Had to call twice to check on delivery status. Both times we were told it was enroute.

Room was quiet.

Breakfast the next morning was similar to a Denny's or an IHOP. Not commensurate with the per room rate for this hotel.

We checked out early and headed home. Will never go there again. Would not recommend it to anyone. As we drove away, I noticed that one side of the exterior was peeling off. Seemed apropos.

I'm sure some manager will post a response to my complaints. Don't be fooled. This place cannot handle a crowd and it needs to improve dramatically to justify it's cost.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the elevators or the foyers surrounding the elevators on any of the floors. T...
1 Thank CJ D
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your feedback with us! I sincerely apologize for the difficulties you had upon your arrival and when you attempted to enter your room.

I understand your frustration with experiencing longer than normal lines in the waterpark. Our veteran guests recommend visiting the waterpark while other families are dining or enjoying our clock tower shows, usually after 7pm until park closing and then from 10:30am to 12:30pm. This is when they have found wait times to be much shorter.

We appreciate the insight you have given us and I have shared it with our Management team in Grapevine for review, as we are always looking for ways to improve what we already have in place.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Bedias, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We decided to take a last minute weekend trip to celebrate our daughters' birthdays.Thanks to Great Wolf's email fan club we were able to book at a discounted rate only 1 day before heading up. The resort is in a somewhat odd location, but was fairly easy to get to. If you've never been, the outside of the hotel itself is pretty awesome with it's massive carved columns. Once you walk inside you get a true sense of how massive this place is! From the multiple levels, oversized fireplace with cozy sitting area that overlooks the massive indoor waterpark, to the giant animated tree and everything in between; there is something for everyone and a sensory overload of things to do and see. Check-in was quick and easy and the wristbands that are chipped to be your room key as well as a way to pay without having to carry around your purse or wallet are great! We stayed in a Kiddie Cabin room and my kids just loved it and mom & dad enjoyed having our own space as well. Thanks to our discount package, our first $50 was on Great Wolf which was a nice added bonus. This place is pricey. There are several restaurant options within the resort, but if you're on a tighter budget, you may want to look outside the grounds for meals. We easily spent a few hundred dollars on meals and snacks without even trying, but it was all worth it! We all had so much fun and can't wait to go again! Hopefully we'll have time to check out even more of what this resort has to offer - there was just too much for us to get to during our short stay!

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Had a groupon so we got a great deal on our 1 night stay!!! Would've gladly paid full price for this awesome place!! We had the best time...the water park has something for all ages to enjoy and the lifeguards were very attentive to their jobs. We stayed in a kid cabin suite so to say the kids loved the room would be an understatement. Every staff member we met was friendly, helpful and professional. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed in the Kid Cabin Suite which the boys enjoyed having their own "man cave". Definitely recommend securing a room with a balcony/patio. Mattresses in the cabin are very thin and not too comfortable, so you may want to beef up with extra bedding. The water park was great. Boys loved the slides, but we did get tired of the waiting time for the slides. They enjoyed the Magic Quest game. I appreciated the tips prior to purchasing MQ that you only need 1 wand per group, and that the topper is a decoration only and not necessary for the game. Love that physical fitness is encouraged with activity level for waterpark and MQ game. Note that check-in is 4:00pm OR AS ROOMS BECOME AVAILABLE. So, if you arrive early and want to use water park first, then pack a separate bag with the bathing suits and cover-ups). Then you can store your luggage with bell man until check-in (which may be 5:00pm or later). Be prepared to wait at check-in. Next time we will plan check-in at 5:00pm because there is still plenty of water park time until 9:00pm. Otherwise, purchase Magic Quest game first and get started with it while waiting to check-in. Note on Magic Quest game-you have to ACCEPT (button on screen) each challenge to receive ratings. Highly recommend water shoes for safety with all the kids running around. Highly recommend adult cover-ups as a favor to all when in the hotel :). I would not take infants or small children as they seemed very overwhelmed (crying, tired), and this seemed like a lot of WORK for the parents....just saying. It will also be a lot of work to manage infants, toddlers, and children in the different water park venues without sufficient back-up. Microwaves and refrigerators in rooms, so take plenty of water, drinks, fruit, and food to supplement meal purchases.

Room Tip: Secure a balcony/patio room. Recommend rooms on second floor because you don't have to pay extra...
1 Thank badflamingo
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was worried after reading some of these reviews, but we had no problems whatsoever and can't wait to go back in October!

First, the check-in line was long, but it moved fast. Our room was not ready, but I didn't expect it to be since it was only 1:30 p.m. and check in wasn't until 4 p.m., but I wanted to get our bracelets so we could go to the water park and play a little bit. The lady at the front desk said they would call when the room was ready and less than an hour later, my phone was ringing!

The luggage carts provided are pretty small, if you have a larger family or lot of things to take up to your room, it will take more than one. We were only able to book a family suite, which is 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. There were 6 of us and the space was okay. The bathroom, is very small!! Very! Our room overlooked the outside pool on the 5th floor and you could hear the music from the pool area. That didn't bother us since we were just there to change and get down to the water, but if I had a small child that was needing a nap, this would not be a ideal. You might want to request not to have a room on that side of the hotel if you will have napping little ones. After we get in the room I notice some nasty pink stuff on the dresser top and something I hope was chocolate on the nightstand. I called down to the front desk to have that taken care of and within minutes there were not 1 but 3 ladies at my door to check out the problem. They quickly cleaned it up, apologized and left. Most everything else was okay. The beds appeared to be clean and such. My complaint would be there was not a fitted sheet over the mattress, just a flat sheet. The flat sheet did not stay put. Please invest in some better quality bedding GWL! The only other issue with the room came the day of check out. My daughter's pull-up leaked and I wanted to get that cleaned up ASAP. I called the front desk and asked if housekeeping could come take the soiled sheets. This time 5 ladies showed up to our room. I was happy to see the mattresses were covered with water proof mattress pads. Good thinking GWL! I imagine my child isn't the first to have an accident in this hotel. The lady came in and changed the bedding but then proceeded to clean the rest of the room. This is a small room with 6 of us trying to get packed up and changed. I tried to asked her to leave because we only had 30 minutes to check out and I needed to change, but she did not speak English and I do not know Spanish. I finally called to the front desk again and explained the situation, she had me put the housekeeper on the phone and she the left the room. I have to say, housekeeping is on it there! They take their job seriously and I appreciate their hard work. I do not remember any of their names but we were on the 5th floor Memorial Day weekend, so if GWL management reads this review, please tell them I said thank you and I am sorry for any problems we may have caused them.

First Floor Fun: This level is like a mini Vegas strip for kids! This is where all the fun happens. You have to walk through this to get to the water park. Before going in there a place for the kids to be measured to get their wrist bands to say which rides they can do and such. No problems there, it was quick and we were ready to go in. The cabanas are to the left of entering and also the bathrooms. I peaked into the cabana area and they seem to be nice if you had older kids that didnt need supervision or maybe a special needs child that would needs to take a break. You get a mini fridge stocked with a variety for drinks, plush white towels (not like the towels the other guests get for inside the park), a TV, table and chairs and a lounge chair (maybe 2). The bad about the cabanas are, is they face each other and there is no view of the water park. The outside cabanas are better as they face the pool. I was told they are $100/day to rent. Not worth it for us.

The inside water park/slides are fun but the lines were sooooo long for the big kid slides and be ready for a work out...there are a ton of stairs to get up those slides. I would try to keep up with my kids and be out of breath by the time we got to the top. WHEW! The crowds were less from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. and then things slowed down again around 7:30 to 9 (closing time). We plan to go back in the middle of the week in October, hoping the lines will be better. The outside pool was open during our stay and that helped with the crowds some. There are 2 more water slides outside and a large pool with some of the same features as the inside. There are a ton of lounge chairs and poolside chairs. Even with the hotel being 100% full, we never had a problem finding a table to sit our things at or a chair to take a seat and rest in.

There is also a great number of lifeguards who do a great job! I watched them and they seem to always be keeping an eye on the pool area and not conversing with one another or even with other guests, which I appreciate. The lifeguards at the tops of the rides and bottom were very friendly and acted like they were happy to be at work and loved their job. I appreciated that as well. There is a snack bar in the water park and the prices are not too terribly bad. A hamburger was around $6 but they were good sized burgers. The food was pretty good. At the back of the water park is a bar. The alcoholic beverages are pretty expensive, but yummy! Go ahead and splurge on a fruity little cocktail...its a vacation after all.

There are towels to use inside the water park but you are not allowed to leave that area with them. You cannot wrap up in one and take it to your room. So, next time we go, I will take our own beach towels just to wrap the kids up when we leave and walk to the room, it can get a bit chilly. It is very humid inside the water park and that really bothered my allergies. I would suggest bringing some allergy medicine for adults and the kids if you suffer from bad allergies. I also had a cough that night and wheezy. I do not have asthma but something was bothering me. This went away when we got home, so I am assuming it had something to do with the humidity or possible mold spores? You might pack your inhaler too.

On the first floor there is a pizza place. I was able to get a large cheese pizza, 2 Liter of soda and a bottle of water for $21. They provided plates and cups. I think that was a fair price and the pizza was delicious! They also had pasta and salad, but we did not try it. We did not eat at the restaurant but did go down and get a child's to go box and were able to fill that up, get 2 boxes of cereal, and 3 milks to take back up to the room and all 4 kids ate breakfast off out of that. We are all about saving money. I would suggest bringing snacks and drinks for your room if you want to save a little as well. There was a sign saying no food or drinks in the water park but we sat next to a family that had a full picnic in their bags. They had sandwiches, chips, fruit and drinks. There were others with raisins, goldfish crackers and just about anything else you could think of. So, next visit it will be sandwich city for us too! Maybe in the room because I have a hard time breaking rules, especially when my children are present.

We did not do any of the quests because we did not have time. My teenager and his friend visited the game room and did the laser thing. They did not like the laser game and thought it was lame but enjoyed the games in the arcade. There is a midnight curfew in the hotel but if the child is with an adult the arcade is open 24 hours. My child was in the room at midnight.

There were kids running around the hotel doing their quests but they didn't bother me. I expected there to be kids at this place, unsupervised kids too. If you want a more adult setting, this is not your place. If you see a child acting out and that bothers you, walk away. That is what I did. I saw a lot of tired, screaming kids but since it wasn't my child or my responsibility, I ignored it and even laughed about it a few times. I remember the days of having a toddler.

This was a great visit and a place we will continue to visit. In fact, at check out I booked our next visit. The dates I wanted in September I could not get because the whole place shuts down the second week in September for about a week so it can be cleaned. I like that idea!!

If you have any questions, ask me. This is a great place for little ones and teenagers too. I felt safe and comfortable. I have no real complaints and I am a pretty picky person. I love the idea that they have waterproof mattress pads on the bed to protect them from accidents and hope to see better sheets next visit. My son's friend said the pull out soft was uncomfortable but I have yet to sleep on a pull out that was comfortable. So, that was expected too.

2 Thank CJ611