“The little engine that couldn't”
Review of Texas Inn

Texas Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
ABQ, NM
“The little engine that couldn't”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

You may have heard about the little engine that thought it could get over the hill. Well, consider this hotel as the hotel that says "I think I can" over and over again, but, ultimately fails miserably. The hotel staff was extremely nice, but everything else falls short. While the room was generally clean, it was poorly maintained and the TV belonged in a museum. I have never slept on a mattress so hard in my life. For a while I was certain the staff had installed the bed upside down and put the box spring on top of the mattress - I found I was wrong, the mattress was just that firm. The free "breakfast" consisted of a few pieces of bread, a few stale muffins, two apples and a waffle making station where the batter looked several days old. You could consider this a "green" hotel due to their cost savings efforts, especially their air conditioner policy. SPOILER ALERT: The hotel does not turn on the air conditioning to your room until you arrive and check-in. This means your room to almost certainly hot and muggy when you arrive. Be sure to check to make sure your air conditioning unit is even working properly. Should you stay here, your best plan is to check-in, bring your bags to your room, check your air conditioner, then leave for an hour so your room will be livable. In fact, go search Harlingen for a place to eat breakfast the next day - you'll need it. If you are a traveler willing to compromise and accept minimalist accommodations for a low cost, this could be the place for you. If you are someone who expects a bed to be something you can sleep on, or a breakfast to be something you can actually eat, then, no, this place is not for you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ABQfamilyguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Short visit great place to lay your head:) stayed for a few days and enjoy myself, my room was clean and the service was nice. Might check it out again when passing through. I think it used to be the comfort inn when I was there before that's how I knew about it this time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John R
Reviewed 7 February 2013

If you just need a comfortable, clean place to spend the night, I can recommend this property. The staff was friendly and our room was comfortable. The decore could use some updating, but the room was clean. Other than a pool and basic continental breakfast, they don't offer much else. Because we stayed 4 nights, I missed having a lobby area to sit in or exercise room for work-out. I felt kind of trapped in my room when we weren't out and about. All rooms have windows that open onto the property's sidewalk, so we never felt we could open up our room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dkbakken
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Our family at Paradise Park gave us the phone number at Texas Inn to reserve our stay. We came on the advice of family and very much enjoyed our stay. It was not 5-star. But the service was 5-star. The manager gave me a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice in exchange to write a review. On Monday morning (because our uncle golfed with him) he made us some delicous pecan and apple Texas shaped waffles. Mmmmm good! The room was average and needed some remodeling. The bathroom was clean and the maid did a very good job of freshing up our room everyday. The pool was cool I mean temperature and had leaves in it, but it was so windy I don't think it could stay clean. My relative from Norway had a restless first night. And in the morning complained of hip pain. I asked the front desk if they had a softer mattress for her? She said they had a memory foam piece they could put on her bed. Her next nights sleep was much better. The week we stayed was very busy they had construction crews there. Lots of trucks-but the crews were gone by 7a.m. and not a bother. The weather was the best. Wonderful Texas sun.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A great TX look at least from a guy from WI.
We stayed 7 days and enjoyed the stay and we booked for another week this winter.
Owners are on site 100% of the time should some thing come up.
Early Feb. the pool was cold and so was the hot tub but owner heated up when asked.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Fred S
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Me and my husband stayed here and when we got there it was really late. So the clerk had given us a large suite. This hotel also has a really nice workout area along with a great breakfast with a large variety of items. I would recommend this hotel for family, solo, or even business travel.

Room Tip: Check in late after 11:00am and you might get lucky and receive a suite as your room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NitaTravels
Mexico
Reviewed 14 November 2005

I wrote the previous review lamenting the fact that the advertised high speed wireless internet has been problematic for quite awhile at this hotel. Because of other favorable qualities (low price, proximity to airport etc) I continue to give them my business and recently found that the issue has been resolved. Now I can offer an unconditional recommendation to this establishment

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business